• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

On Humira Now!! Concerns....??

So, I have been put on Humira as of today. I honestly have no idea whether it will work yet just because it's only been one day, but my main concerns are:

1. What are the chances of it actually working!?!? I've had conflicting information from different sources but I read somewhere it's a complete gamble, like it works for something like 50%....?

2. How likely is it that I will develop antibodies to it and it will stop working for me even if it does initially work...... (I'm still on azathioprine btw so I don't know if this decreases the chances of that happening?)

3. What other treatment options are there for me if (or WHEN) humira stops working!?!?!

:shifty-t:

There are primary and secondary non responders to biologics. Response to treatment and testing of inflammatory markers can determine your individual response.

Some people do develop antibodies that is why some GIs use combo therapy like biologic and azathioprine or 6mp or methotrexate because they help prevent antibodies.

There are other meds- immunosuppressant like methotrexate biologics like remicade and Cimzia so if one med fails you then the GI will move you to other options.

Humira has been a good medication for me. It has knocked my crohn's into a long remission. Nothing else would touch it. I have been on Humira for 3.5 years and so far it is doing well. Good luck on the therapy. You might want to check out the Humira support group http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59
this is the same story for me. three and a half yrs and in remission. Tried everything else and nothing and I mean nothing worked. The only thing Humira that I really don't like is that I developed insomnia right after taking it and also my nervous system was really affected and that lead to some more meds. with more side effects. it hasn't been easy to stay on it but at this point it's been working and I have no choice.

theOcean

2. Humira is made from a humanized protein, as opposed to Remicade which was mouse protein so it's actually one people are less likely to build up antibodies to.

3. There's a whole slew of biologics now! Remicade, Vedolizumab, Cimzia, Simponi... I know I'm forgetting some, but just know you're definitely not out of options!

I needed combination therapy of Humira and 6mp, and now I've been in remission for over a year and I'm very happy. It's been an incredible medication for me! I got antibody testing at one point and I have absolutely none, which is great. (I was on Remicade before this and was terribly allergic, so it was really wonderful news.)