• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice for this it's driving me mad. :-(

if I've posted in the wrong place please forgive me...

I've been suffering with these arm pains but It's so difficult to explain.
I get a sudden sharp pain with certain movement and It feels like its gnawing. Can't tell whether it's the bone in my bicep or the muscle..
Normally it happens when I move my left arm into a certain position or put slight pressure on it but before it just wouldn't stop. My son thought I was going crazy yelping whilst trying to get my jacket on! After that it was weak and it felt like how muscles feel when you've had cramp.
Could it be a side effect from the medication?
Medication I'm currently on...
azathioprine (Imuran) 200mg since march 2013
Asacol (Pentasa) 2400mg since June 2012

Hi, i am not too sure what to call what you are experiencing, however i had experienced the similar. Felt like deep pain in the arm bones, sharp to an ache. It went away with b12 levels being raised. I still get leg weakness and foot pain (but the arm pain has left)

hope this might help a little
have you had your b12 checked?
take care ;)

theOcean

Hmm, that's strange... it sounds like something you could even go to a GP for, though. My mother's been experiencing frozen shoulder lately, and this makes me think of it a little.

Not sure if it would be from medication or not... good luck either way!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I wonder if it could be a rotator cuff problem?? It affects the shoulder joint and surrounding muscles and tendons and can have various presentations depending on the structures affected, including the symptoms you have mentioned.

I don’t recall seeing anyone here have those particular side effects from the medication you are on. My two kids are on Azathioprine and one is also on Pentasa, neither have had this complication.

I would go to the GP and have it checked out.

Good luck and I hope you get answers and relief!

Dusty. xxx

Hi, I've had C.D. since I was 11-12, but, was sick as long as remember,,I now 48, and with Crohns comes just about anything for "by-issues" I call them now for having just about everykind of problem, but, as I grew my bones would hurt, most times if nice a still I don't even feel a thing , but, with a movment, anykind, I get a sudden, dullish, sharp, kinda high-pitch pain, really hard to explain when its gone you really don't have much pain to remember enoght to try to say how it feels, its not a constant thing, a few years later I foundout that my bone pains are Arthritus, and it donsent have to be the joints of the bone either, it all the bone that can get anywhere..You should be feeling the weird pain deeper in the arm, than say your muscles, right , you can tell that its NOT in the muscle?..Blood work would tell the Dr. if you have arthritis setting in..You to me , sound like it could be arthritis, hopfully yous can find it..

Hmm, that's strange... it sounds like something you could even go to a GP for, though. My mother's been experiencing frozen shoulder lately, and this makes me think of it a little.

Not sure if it would be from medication or not... good luck either way!
I wasn't thinking of going to the drs about it but thanks for advice.
I have my blood done every 4 weeks Nd they always say there normal and give me my next prescription. Maybe the weather haha

Hi, I've had C.D. since I was 11-12, but, was sick as long as remember,,I now 48, and with Crohns comes just about anything for "by-issues" I call them now for having just about everykind of problem, but, as I grew my bones would hurt, most times if nice a still I don't even feel a thing , but, with a movment, anykind, I get a sudden, dullish, sharp, kinda high-pitch pain, really hard to explain when its gone you really don't have much pain to remember enoght to try to say how it feels, its not a constant thing, a few years later I foundout that my bone pains are Arthritus, and it donsent have to be the joints of the bone either, it all the bone that can get anywhere..You should be feeling the weird pain deeper in the arm, than say your muscles, right , you can tell that its NOT in the muscle?..Blood work would tell the Dr. if you have arthritis setting in..You to me , sound like it could be arthritis, hopfully yous can find it..
Yes it's hard to explain.
The comments are greatly appreciated thanks.
I did wonder arthritis because I get bone crunching pains in my shoulder, wrists aNd fingers...but from reading another comment from dusty cat I must agree that my neck and shoulder felt tight after a few days of it snagging/ paining (as I call it) I bet it's muscular.

Thinking back to when I was 12 (way before I was diagnosed) my neck muscle on the left side (same side as arm pain) seized up and my ear was literally pinned to my shoulder! I remember my dad taking me to parents evening at school. Can't recall how long it was like that.