• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

DNA studdy suggests Neanderthals suffered from Crohn's Disease and Psoriasis

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Here's an article I came across today. Pretty interesting:

Neanderthals suffered from psoriasis too: DNA study suggests ancient human cousins suffered from 'modern' diseases

Geneticists from the University at Buffalo studied ancient human DNA
They found genetic faults in the Neanderthal genome that cause psoriasis
Their DNA also had errors thought to cause Crohn's Disease in humans
Scientists believe the two diseases may have originated in a common ancestor of Neanderthals and modern humans over a million years ago

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-suffered-modern-diseases.html#ixzz3QsyZSBdr

Ok, so I have had both psoriasis and Crohns. I eliminated the psoriasis a while back. I guess I have to accept that I may be a Neanderthal also.

Dan

Ok, so I have had both psoriasis and Crohns. I eliminated the psoriasis a while back.
Out of interest how did you eliminate the psoriasis? This is particularly interesting because I believe both illnesses have a common etiology - a mixture of defects in the innate immune system and mycobacterium infection.

I had bad psoriasis around 11 years old c. 1960. Prednisone took care of it after trying many other things and many doctors. Several years later the Crohn's symptoms began. Never connected the 2 until recently. May have some mild symptoms again.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Well two kids with no obvious cause for Crohn’s. All the usual hypotheses don’t ring true for them except genetics and that has a very strong NOD2 indicator as their disease mirrors each other.

Add to that a very strong and long link to Scottish heritage, red hair and freckles, and yeah I reckon the Neanderthal link is as good as any other hypothesis I’ve heard.

This is a very good article on the subject and I particularly like the last paragraph:

But there’s no doubt that Neanderthals live large in our imagination. Dozens of men have written to Pääbo claiming to be full Neanderthals. The only women to have written to him have done so to say that they thought their husbands were Neanderthals as well. :ylol:
Dusty.

I agree with you about the MAP infection.

I was treating myself using a frequency generator running through a plasma tube, which acts as a short range antenna. I was using frequencies that were specifically for mycobacterium avium.

I was not treating the psoriasis, but treating in the hopes it would help with Crohns. The psoriasis got real inflamed for a few hours, and then it went away and healed. That was a couple years ago. It has not come back.

I could feel it on my leg with the psoriasis as the frequencies ran. It was quite distinct.

The treatment did help with the Crohns, but it was not the only pathogen causing symptoms. Mycoplasma pneumonia was a far worse infection. Harder to eliminate. The MAP was not very difficult to reduce, as far as I could tell.

Not a very conventional treatment method, but it can be very effective depending on the pathogen involved.

Dan