• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What do people say that bugs you? How do you respond?

Has anyone heard people say really stupid things to you? Here are some that I can currently remember:
P= Person
M=Me
P "I'm so jealous! I wish I could stay at home whenever I want!"
M " It's not whenever I want, it's whenever I don't feel well enough,"
P "I still must be so awesome!"
M "You think it's awesome to stay home in bed unable to do anything, feeling awful, and throwing up?"
P "Oh... But it's still so cool! You are so skinny"
M "That's. A. Bad. Thing :ymad: !!!!!!"

What are some situations you have been in?
I'd love to hear them

I would get told "oh you're sick? You look fine." I also would hate when they would say "oh so you have IBS, my husband has that."

Now that I am in remission I get weird blank stares if it comes up and I say that I have Crohn's disease. Sometimes I explain, sometimes I don't. Only met one person who knew someone who has Crohn's and she actually was very impressed at how well I am doing right now, unfortunately the other girl is having a lot of issues still.

The problem is that most people that have heard of it still don't really know what it is, they think it is just a sensitive stomach. I had someone tell me something along the lines of "oh so you just can't eat rough things like nuts, spicy or fried foods right? You should be fine if you just watch your diet."

Tough to take these comments when you don't feel well. My biggest issue is I am a pretty private person at work and don't want people to feel sorry for me. So I tend to over do it at work...like I did this week...and then I feel horrible when I am off. I have a hard time saying I can't stay longer, or taking on that extra project is too much. I just say yes.

Just keep praying and God will heal you of your CD. Or the constant how are you feeling your looking much better. No the pred has just given me moon face, im not any better

Why don't you work?

I had a job, I loved it! I worked in the deli at a local grocery store. But I had to leave the job because it wasn't fair that I had to randomly rush off the floor to the bathroom and leave fellow workers on their own for 10-15 mins at a time, multiple times a day! (outside of my breaks) Sometimes I couldn't even get my pain under control to make it in to work :(

Oh then just take some pain meds and then go to work

The pain meds don't even totally kill the pain. But I sometimes push through it at home because sick or not, I have a child to take care of. Half the time her daddy isn't home. He commutes for work

Then do childcare at home

Again, being in the washroom for 10-30 mins at a time when watching a child, isn't doing a very good job of watching them now is it? Plus I really don't need the added stress of having to chase people down for money every month

You just have an excuse for everything

Nope not an excuse. A dehabilitating, constant pain and bathroom breaks are not fun. Having to cancel plans all the time because you are too sick to make it, makes you look like a total flake. Especially when everyone seems to know someone with IBD and they are fine

Why didn't you come to my party/stagette/baby shower, etc

See above. I would love to come to your get togethers, honestly! But I am not good company when in the bathroom half the time

Those are a few I have gotten, there are many more, but those are the most common

I understand the work one alot. Ive been flaring for 8 months. Took 2 months off and am in my 3rd week back. Im already having priblems keeping up with the manual labor. I just keep trying for now.

Things that bug me are:

You don't look sick

It's all in your head

Can't you just hold

Usually angrily respond with a swear word or two :)

"I have a cure."

That's the one that bugs me most. Second one being, "My friend used ____ and is cured. You should do that and then you can get back to a normal life."

"Oh I hear if you just.../ I read online that this lady ate/cut out/went gluten free/did yoga and now she's fine".

Please leave the medical advice to my doctor thanks. As well, something people don't say but, I have occasionally sat on the seats for elderly/disabled/pregnant people and got huge rude and hating glares. Sorry but there is no other seats and I may very well pass out if I have to stand on a moving train for the next twenty minutes.

Ugh, some people.

"Oh I hear if you just.../ I read online that this lady ate/cut out/went gluten free/did yoga and now she's fine". Please leave the medical advice to my doctor thanks.
I actually like these kind of helpful unsolicited comments. I once got great advice from a complete stranger who eavesdropped in on a conversation I was having with a friend. He told me about something (I had never heard of it before) and told me that would help me.....and it did. I have been grateful to him ever since for him being such a nosey parker. :ysmile:

afidz

Super Moderator
I told my attention loving biological mom that she probably passed down the HLA-B27 gene as both my brother and I have it. (My dad probably has it, he has Crohn's). Anyways, she was complaining of a stomach ache. Asked her if it was something she ate. Nope, it's her Crohn's. She hasn't been to a doctor for anything. She is just assuming because I told her about the gene (stupid me) . It just pisses me off. Don't act like you know my pain.

"Oh I hear if you just.../ I read online that this lady ate/cut out/went gluten free/did yoga and now she's fine".

Please leave the medical advice to my doctor thanks. As well, something people don't say but, I have occasionally sat on the seats for elderly/disabled/pregnant people and got huge rude and hating glares. Sorry but there is no other seats and I may very well pass out if I have to stand on a moving train for the next twenty minutes.

Ugh, some people.
This one made me laugh, because it reminds me of my boyfriend's friend who turned around to him and told him to smoke weed, because it helps with everything. Apparently somebody else had UC and this cured it. My boyfriend just turned to me when we left and burst out laughing.

@afidz - That's possibly the most irritating thing anybody could do!!