• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight loss diet for Crohn's

Hi,

I am looking to lose weight, but all the fat burning diets online consist of high fibre foods which of course isn't ideal.. The way to burn fat as far as I'm aware is to eat foods that use more energy to digest.. But we're supposed to eat easy to digest foods.. So, are there any or what diet is recommended for what I want to achieve? I already go to the gym and exercise regularly..

my little penguin

Staff member
My kiddo was placed on the crohns exclusive diet ( not meant to lose weight ) but to improve crohns symptoms in hard to treat cases in addition to meds
Extremely healthy
Fish , chicken and limited beef
Limited fruits and veggies at first and later all fruits and veggies
No processed food
No cookies cakes etc
Here is the thread on it and what is allowed

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=71686

He is doing a modified version now since he was dx with Gastroparesis

Good luck

If I ever decided to be motivated to lose weight
( not motivated yet )
I know modeling that diet would improve my health and get rid of the extra

Kudos to you for trying

Hi,

I am looking to lose weight, but all the fat burning diets online consist of high fibre foods which of course isn't ideal.. The way to burn fat as far as I'm aware is to eat foods that use more energy to digest.. But we're supposed to eat easy to digest foods.. So, are there any or what diet is recommended for what I want to achieve? I already go to the gym and exercise regularly..

Hey there. One thing you may consider is what you eat and when. I was diagnosed 11 yrs ago have found that much of the traditional brkfst foods make us gain weight and really aren't all that healthy,so try eating your veggies for bkfst. I have found it to satisfy my hunger without making me feel bloated. Additionally depending on the way you prepare them (the veggies)they should be tender enough to digest yet still retain their nutritional value. There are a lot of great tips for this. Paired with some kind of protein (lean and easy to digest). You will enjoy brkfst again and you won't be working against your work out.

I'm doing what penguin suggested and it has been good. I've been able to lose some weight and am feeling ok.. I make sure to cook the veggies really well and I peel the skin off the fruit and find fruit with no seeds. Basically the low amount of sugars and limited breads help. Also the low fat proteins help a lot.

Mylittlepenguin:
Interesting diet - I've been selected for a university research program on Crohns and nutrition. The diet is almost identical to yours with the addition of pro-biotics - in the form of yogurt or Kefir - not supplements. It's a 3 months study - no red meat, low sugar, lots of fibre (or as much as you can tolerate). They don't want me flaring so some foods are out - Kale for instance (my first and last try with kale was enough). I'm in remission so I'm able to introduce more fibre quickly - unlike someone that is flaring. Here's hoping to better health and maybe some weight loss.😄

my little penguin

Staff member
Glad it's working well
It worked well for Ds
Unfortunately Gastroparesis and lots of fiber are not a good combo
So we are in trial and error right now to see what his system will tolerate