• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mucus fistula keeps closing

Hi everyone,
I have Crohn's disease for 30 plus year and short bowel syndrome for 5 years.
During my last ileostomy revision, my surgeon bypassed a section of small bowel and gave me a mucus fistula. I've had an ostomy for 16 years so this didn't bother me but the location of the mucus fistula is what bothers me. He located it around my lower waist/upper groin area. Because of the location, he didn't pull the intestine thru the skin to create a stoma and left the intestine just below the skin and then cut a channel for the mucus to drain. I take Gattex injections to help with the short bowel syndrome and this has lead to a large amount of mucus output daily. My problem is that the channel the surgeon made for the mucus to drain, keeps closing and I've had to have it reopened 3 times in the last year. Has anyone out there with a mucus fistula experienced anything like this?

Hi everyone,
I have Crohn's disease for 30 plus year and short bowel syndrome for 5 years.
During my last ileostomy revision, my surgeon bypassed a section of small bowel and gave me a mucus fistula. I've had an ostomy for 16 years so this didn't bother me but the location of the mucus fistula is what bothers me. He located it around my lower waist/upper groin area. Because of the location, he didn't pull the intestine thru the skin to create a stoma and left the intestine just below the skin and then cut a channel for the mucus to drain. I take Gattex injections to help with the short bowel syndrome and this has lead to a large amount of mucus output daily. My problem is that the channel the surgeon made for the mucus to drain, keeps closing and I've had to have it reopened 3 times in the last year. Has anyone out there with a mucus fistula experienced anything like this?
Hi, after my emergency sub-total collectomy I was left with a mucus fistula. This also kept closing over and the small drainage bags I was given were completely inadequate. The stoma nurses attempted to use a small device that looked like a childs dummy to keep the fistula open but it would invariably close over.

I'm sorry to say the only answer to keeping the fistula open was to make a decision as to whether to attempt a pouch or have a total collectomy. Sorry I can't be more positive.