• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Miraculous recovery?

So short story about myself. I got diagnosed with crohns at 15, I'm 23 right now, and I have had no surgeries up to this point and have only been hospitalized once.

Pre surgery: worst experiences of my life. All started in September. I started peeing air, stomach cramps and distention. I didn't say anything and hoped it would go away. Fast forward to January, I got a CT scan done and they said I had an inflamed bladder and gave me some antibiotics. The air in my bladder eventually went away. Fast forward to two weeks ago. Holy hell. I couldn't work, I was depressed to the point where I thought about suicide(I could never do that to myself, I have a fiance that I refuse to leave this earth. She is my ground). I was eating two pieces of bread and a half of sandwhich a day. I was smoking weed constantly and tripping on psychedelics to try and escape. Fast forward to the day I finally went to the hospital. I ended up throwing up and that was it for me. I had to go. Ends up I had a fistula from my crohns to my bladder, (I was peeing out chicken broth and beef broth while on clear liquids, and my stomach was so distended they were amazed I didn't pop and the obstruction was blocked throughout my entire bowels. I needed surgery to repair my blockage and the fistula.

Post surgery: don't get me wrong, it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. You guys know how it is, catherter, learning to walk again, waiting to pass gas and bowel movement, luckily no ng tube or colostomy and the surgeon called it a "textbook" surgery. I was walking that night, bridge diet day 2, bowel movement day 2, by day 3 I was eating a low residue diet(which I was used to anyway) and I got discharged on Friday and I was doing laps around the floor of the hospital by the time I left. It has now Tuesday and I'm still on a low residue diet, but I can eat whatever I want and as much of it as I want. I mean as much as I want. I ate 3000+ calories today and 2600 yesterday. Thus morning I had my first normal stool and although it wasn't a solid log, it was more like Chetto shaped and a lot of it. I'm passing gas like crazy as well. Ive had 3 bowel movement today, the first I mentioned, the second was a little lighter colored, the second had what looked like my leftover inflammation coming out. Ill also mention I have no pain. I haven't had any pain meds since I left the hospital. I feel more regulated and normal and am in amazing spirits. I've just read other people's stories with the same surgery as mine, (laproscopic ileocecectomy) with crazy complications. They took out my appendix, 24cm of my small intestine, and my cecum. Am I just super lucky? Or what's going on here?

My son had an ileocecectomy as well. His also went really well and the hospital stay mimicked yours. His only stumbling block was that anesthesia and pain pills slow his bladder so he had to have his catheter reinsert ed for the second day.

He took half a pain pill twice after leaving the hospital. And was back at school and work on the 7th day I believe.

Unfortunately, his CD was quick to return. He has been asymptomatic for a couple of years even before his surgery. So he's been having scopes every 6 months to determine progression.

Awesome for you the surgery went so very well. And long may it continue!

Statistics below are from Crohn's and Colitis foundation. Don't become complacent after surgery. Keep getting tests done periodically to make sure that you don't have inflammation simmering in the background. If you catch it earlier you can get on more aggressive meds to stamp it out before damage is done. I just had 22cm of my colon removed in Feb and I will be going on a maintenance med(Imuran) to hopefully keep the Crohn's at bay.

With medical and/or surgical treatment:
• About 50% of patients will be in remission or have
mild disease over the next five years
• 45% of those in remission will remain relapse-free
over the next year
• 35% will have one or two relapses
• 11% will have chronically active disease
For a Crohn’s disease patient in remission, relapse
rates at one, two, five, and ten years are estimated at
20%, 40%, 67%, and 76%, respectively

My son had an ileocecectomy as well. His also went really well and the hospital stay mimicked yours. His only stumbling block was that anesthesia and pain pills slow his bladder so he had to have his catheter reinsert ed for the second day.

He took half a pain pill twice after leaving the hospital. And was back at school and work on the 7th day I believe.

Unfortunately, his CD was quick to return. He has been asymptomatic for a couple of years even before his surgery. So he's been having scopes every 6 months to determine progression.

Awesome for you the surgery went so very well. And long may it continue!
Sorry to hear it came back :( I hope he gets better. I would also like to add that my crohns hasn't spread since I was 15, which makes me confident that it won't come back. But if it does, I know I can handle it again.

Statistics below are from Crohn's and Colitis foundation. Don't become complacent after surgery. Keep getting tests done periodically to make sure that you don't have inflammation simmering in the background. If you catch it earlier you can get on more aggressive meds to stamp it out before damage is done. I just had 22cm of my colon removed in Feb and I will be going on a maintenance med(Imuran) to hopefully keep the Crohn's at bay.

With medical and/or surgical treatment:
• About 50% of patients will be in remission or have
mild disease over the next five years
• 45% of those in remission will remain relapse-free
over the next year
• 35% will have one or two relapses
• 11% will have chronically active disease
For a Crohn’s disease patient in remission, relapse
rates at one, two, five, and ten years are estimated at
20%, 40%, 67%, and 76%, respectively
I am approved for remicade and I start treatment and I have follow up with a medical team. I have a great medical staff and I'm loving it. Thanks for the statistics!

I am glad things went so well for you.
Thank you. It really saddeneds me to see so many failed surgeries and I just wish this disease didn't exist :/ I swear it's just as debilitating as cancer with less research/recognition. I've found a way to spread awareness and use one of my hobbies to do so. My goal is to raise awareness for all gi disorders because they are way misunderstood and horribly underly researched. Like I've said I've lived through 8 years of pain and depression and for me to have such a great quick recovery it would be a waste for me to just go on living the same way I did. It just wouldn't be fair to my fellow crohnies. I just hope and pray it doesn't come back before I can do what I need to do to spread awareness. This disease will get recognized and I'll make sure of it.