• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting prep early

Hi folks -
I'm 42 and have had colonoscopies since I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 12. Sometimes, if it's really a lucky time for me, I have multiple in one year. ;-)

I have another scheduled for this Wednesday and the prep of choice this round is MoviPrep. Typically, my system is SUPER efficient and one dose does the trick of cleaning me out.

Here's my question. Can I do the prep tonight and then just stay hydrated with water tomorrow? The colonoscopy is early Wednesday morning. It would be so much easier for me to just get it done early. I know it means two days of only clear liquids, but I'm fine with that.

Is there any reason it has to be done the night before if I follow the clear liquid rule?

Thanks,
--Dan

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Why do you want to do it a day early? I'd be concerned about dehydration, water alone will not give you the nutrients etc you need....and if you do have anything else, there will still be 'residue' from that, although not much....

Bufford

No don't prep early; there will be stool build up during your waiting period. The intestines create new mucous and it will become stool and will block the view for the Drs camera.

I am also having a colonoscopy on Wednesday and I am taking Peglyte. Its effective but difficult to take. I have start with 2 biscodyl tablets followed by an afternoon and evening of drinking 3 liters of the solution during the timeline. I have a colostomy and have no control over holding it. I have to be ready to run (not walk) to my outhouse.
Drinking lots of water to keep things moving, and then one full liter 5 hours before the scoping. Tastes terrible, but very fast acting. While typing this post, I had to go out and drain my pouch 3 times. Good luck, I hope your doctor will not find anything bad.

No don't prep early; there will be stool build up during your waiting period. The intestines create new mucous and it will become stool and will block the view for the Drs camera.

I am also having a colonoscopy on Wednesday and I am taking Peglyte. Its effective but difficult to take. I have start with 2 biscodyl tablets followed by an afternoon and evening of drinking 3 liters of the solution during the timeline. I have a colostomy and have no control over holding it. I have to be ready to run (not walk) to my outhouse.
Drinking lots of water to keep things moving, and then one full liter 5 hours before the scoping. Tastes terrible, but very fast acting. While typing this post, I had to go out and drain my pouch 3 times. Good luck, I hope your doctor will not find anything bad.
Agree

Bufford

Update. The colonoscopy went well, the doctor found nothing unusual, but sent some samples to the lab for further testing. Said those samples look pretty normal. Good to know, get checked out , its well worth it.