• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood work on imuran?

How often does your doctor check your bloodwork on remicade, how important is it? My doctor hasn't checked my bloodwork once since I've started remicade, and I'm also on imuran, but I haven't had bloodwork in months and my doctor said I could make an appointment in December if I wanted to so we could discuss taking me off imuran because my colonoscopy was perfect. But I'm not feeling good, and I'm concerned that I'm not being monitored if that makes since.

He doesn't want to change a thing since my colonoscopy was so good. And I meant remicade in the title not imuran, brain fog. I'm just wondering if it's normal not to have any lab work done.

I also think he should have been checking your blood levels while on imuran. About a year ago they cut the amount I was taking in half because there was too mu

I now go once every two months. I'm on both Imuran and Remicade. It started with once a week, then once every two weeks and now he wants it once every two months.

I've been on the imuran since February, I've had the test done to see if it's enough or too much, or not enough and it was just right and I haven't had more bloodwork since then except before I started remicade to make sure I didn't have tb.

I am currently on Humira and they currently want to check to make sure that there is enough in my system. I assume they might do the same with Remicade. Is he talking about taking you off Remicade?

No, he wants to keep me on the remicade, the original plan was to get me off the imuran once the remicade was working, but now he wants to keep me on all of it.

When I first started on Imuran they did blood tests every week, then after a few months they wanted it every month. Now after being on it for close to 20 years with all clean blood work and me being on a low dose they check it every 3 months.

I was told having the blood work done is very important, especially to check liver enzyme levels. Imuran can cause toxicity leading to liver and/or kidney failure so they want to keep checking as symptoms can appear after its too late. Also ask them to check folate levels, as Imuran can interfere with folate uptake and lead to deficiency/anemia. My doc told me to take 1mg folic acid/day but I wouldn't do so unless recommended by a doctor.

Also be aware of possible photosensitivity as a possible side effect of Imuran. Recently strong uv has been giving me bad rashes/blisters after long exposure.

I'm sure about the Remicade as I have never been on it.

Best of luck! Imuran has some pretty scary side effects but is generally safe as long as blood work is being done regularly.

That's what scares me. I haven't had any blood work in awhile. I'm thinking I might call my GP tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment and ask him to give me a lab slip for it. I don't get much sun exposure but when I do my skin hurts pretty quick. I'm just never sure how to deal with these things. I don't want to make my doctor feel like I don't think he knows what he is doing, but I also don't want to put myself at risk to avoid upsetting him.

That's what scares me. I haven't had any blood work in awhile. I'm thinking I might call my GP tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment and ask him to give me a lab slip for it. I don't get much sun exposure but when I do my skin hurts pretty quick. I'm just never sure how to deal with these things. I don't want to make my doctor feel like I don't think he knows what he is doing, but I also don't want to put myself at risk to avoid upsetting him.
Agree

You won't upset your doctor by asking questions or voicing your concerns. Blood tests are very important on these drugs.

Try using high spf sunscreen. I have read online spf-100 is recommended for photosensitivity, but if you aren't developing rashes lower spf should do.