• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to crohns please help

Hi all I'm new here and I was just diagnosed with crohns last week ..last year I had a colonscopy done and the found very small patch of colitis and now 4 days ago I go to emergency with stomach pain and diahrhia on the right and do ct scan with dye and the said right side of colon looks inflammed ...my gastrointestinal doctor says she believes its crohns and wants me to start taking lialda and prednisone ..

I'm only 41 and not a big fan at all of medicine and afraid of what meds can do after ready about them ....but in turn afraid of not taking anything either

What choices do I have is there and supplements or probiotics or anything more friendly I can take for this

Thank you

Hi all I'm new here and I was just diagnosed with crohns last week ..last year I had a colonscopy done and the found very small patch of colitis and now 4 days ago I go to emergency with stomach pain and diahrhia on the right and do ct scan with dye and the said right side of colon looks inflammed ...my gastrointestinal doctor says she believes its crohns and wants me to start taking lialda and prednisone ..

I'm only 41 and not a big fan at all of medicine and afraid of what meds can do after ready about them ....but in turn afraid of not taking anything either

What choices do I have is there and supplements or probiotics or anything more friendly I can take for this

Thank you
Hi Blazinj,
Probiotics may give some help in the long term, but as you have inflammation I'd recommend you to take prednisone for a short term period as your docs suggested
Take care

Hey Blazin,

I've had Crohns for 17 years now and I'd say it's best to take the tablets the HP thinks is best for your condition. I have had 2 major surgeries to remove my bowels and with the correct medication this could have been prevented.

Absorbsion of vitamins and minerals becomes harder the worse Crohns gets so talk to your HP to see if you can take multi vitamins. Also a colonoscopy would be a good bet so they can actually determine what stage youre at or if you've got Crohns or Ulcerative colitis.

It's a debilitating disease and it steals your dreams, your life, everything. I totally hope you don't physically have it and I hope the HPs do right by you.

Let us know how you get on.

Hey Blazin,

I've had Crohns for 17 years now and I'd say it's best to take the tablets the HP thinks is best for your condition. I have had 2 major surgeries to remove my bowels and with the correct medication this could have been prevented.

Absorbsion of vitamins and minerals becomes harder the worse Crohns gets so talk to your HP to see if you can take multi vitamins. Also a colonoscopy would be a good bet so they can actually determine what stage youre at or if you've got Crohns or Ulcerative colitis.

It's a debilitating disease and it steals your dreams, your life, everything. I totally hope you don't physically have it and I hope the HPs do right by you.

Let us know how you get on.
With the new treatments, hopefully it wont take our dreams and life anymore :)

Its a very case by case disease, i been maybe more lucky, i have had it for 17 years too, and had very long periods of remission.

With the new treatments, hopefully it wont take our dreams and life anymore :)

Its a very case by case disease, i been maybe more lucky, i have had it for 17 years too, and had very long periods of remission.
I consider myself lucky to be honest, I've had 7 years with hardly any problems, it's just started again March 2016 and hasn't called a ceasefire yet. I will get mine under control again and hopefully be in remission for a lengthy period with some luck.

I wouldn't recommend not taking the meds your doctor prescribed. I was diagnosed at 15 and am now 34; I stopped taking my meds while I was in college because I felt fine and ended up having a nice hospital stay. Prednisone isn't something you want to take a lot of, but it does help with any pain you might be having.

I wouldn't recommend not taking the meds your doctor prescribed. I was diagnosed at 15 and am now 34; I stopped taking my meds while I was in college because I felt fine and ended up having a nice hospital stay. Prednisone isn't something you want to take a lot of, but it does help with any pain you might be having.
I agree.