• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Girlfriend looking for ways to help boyfriend with Crohn's.

Hello, my boyfriend was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when he was 10 years old. The doctors put him on all types of meds which ended up stunting his growth. He made the decision when he was old enough, to go off of his meds and replace them with medical marijuana. It worked for a long time, he is now 20 (almost 21). Still has some minor cramps and discomfort, but overall he is healthy and happy. About 5 months ago, we lost our insurance and cannot afford it anyway. He came to me this morning and told me that he was scared, he informed me that he has had bloody stool for about 2 months as well as some awful cramps. He told me that he doesn't feel like himself anymore. He has applied for AHCCCS but we will not be hearing back for a while. Now, we are broke.. like -$63.00 in my account and won't be getting paid for another 2 weeks. He is not working right now because his place of employment takes a month vacation in August. I really don't know what to do or how to help him. Please, any advice is appreciated.. I just want to see him healthy and happy but I don't know how to achieve this... thank you so much for and information you can provide.

scottsma

Sorry I can't advise as I'm in UK and things are different here.He really does need to seek help though.Someone will be along soon to advise you.I will say he's a lucky guy to have you caring about him but that wont get him better alas. Wishing you both well as soon as possible.

I believe he is able to go to the ER even without insurance they can not deny him care. At least they would figure out what is going on and administer medications there to help stabilize things.

Sorry I can't advise as I'm in UK and things are different here.He really does need to seek help though.Someone will be along soon to advise you.I will say he's a lucky guy to have you caring about him but that wont get him better alas. Wishing you both well as soon as possible.
Thank you so much!

cmack

Staff member
Hi there,

A bland diet may help, he could also try to keep his meals small and frequent with low amounts of fiber. I think the ER is a good idea as well, it doesn't really hurt to try. Be sure to keep in touch, there are some very knowledgeable folks here who may be able to give other suggestions. I wish you two the very best.