• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to this disease

Hi
Although suffering for I think 13 years I have finally been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I was put on steroids now methotrexate which isn't working I am being screened to go on a trial drug but now my knees hips and legs are severely hurting . I am afraid I won't be able to continue working I retail which is what I have done all my life .any advice to help me through this would be great , financially I am stressing

cmack

Staff member
Hi and welcome,

I sure hope it isn't a permanent disability but I would definitely try to get some answers. Do you think the pain could be a side effect of something like stress or maybe one of your medications? I have IBD and I have had very sore legs from lower back problems before but it wasn't so much my knees. I had to see a chiropractor for a pinched sciatic nerve. I hope things improve.

Hello and Welcome! Did you stop taking the steroids? Every time I've been on Prednisone my joints especially my hips and knees will hurting after stopping. After a week or so the joint pain goes away. Hopefully the joint pain is something that will pass.

Best of luck to you!

Hello and Welcome! Did you stop taking the steroids? Every time I've been on Prednisone my joints especially my hips and knees will hurting after stopping. After a week or so the joint pain goes away. Hopefully the joint pain is something that will pass.

Best of luck to you!
Yes I stopped the steroids quite a few months ago
My joints are still sore but thanks for the welcome it helps talking to other people

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I too work in retail and have done so during a really bad flare. So, I do have an idea what you're talking about. But, as far as wanting to classify it as a disability if it were me I'd want to make sure of a few things before doing it. Here are a few things I'd ask myself before actually turning the info into my supervisors/managers. I'm not saying to not do it, just to think hard and know what you're getting into if you do decide to jump.

http://www.disability-benefits-help...-bowel-disease-and-social-security-disability

http://www.healthline.com/health/crohns-disease/disability#overview1

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear you've been suffering with pains. I used to also have a lot of aches and pains (especially ankle, wrist and elbow joints) when I was first diagnosed. Luckily, after a few weeks of being on medication, the pain eased off. My meds are different from yours, as I was on Budesonide which I've just weaned off and am still on Azathioprine, but I want to give you encouragement that the pain can go away. At one point I thought I would never feel well enough to go back to work, but I surprise myself everyday at how far I've come, so don't lose hope.

I'm from the UK so can't give advice on disability benefits where you're from, but wish you the best of luck with it - but if you're newly diagnosed and only just starting treatment, you may well find things get better for you. Also sometimes side effects can get better over time once your body gets used to it. Fingers crossed that the trial drug works for you!

valleysangel92

Staff member
I was on inflectra yes, its a synthetic version of Infliximab /remicade ( I think in the US they use a synthetic called remisma). I only got 5 doses of it as I had an allergic reaction during the 5th infusion, but this is relatively uncommon. I did find it helpful while I was on it and I did begin to gain weight and have fewer symptoms, so we were hopeful it was going to be my wonder drug, it was just bad luck that I turned to be allergic.

Its understandable to be a little apprehensive when starting medications like this, particularly when you see the list of potential side effects, but honestly these medications are generally very safe, you should get regular monitoring with blood tests to check that nothing untoward is happening and you will be closely watched during infusions in case you have any reactions. You may find that you feel a bit "fluey" for the first few days after infusions, and this is normal, especially with the first couple, I only found that I had this with the first dose, but I did find I was tired after each one.

The other thing people get is headaches, which can be down to dehydration so drinking plenty before, during and after the infusion is important and can help them to get the IV in first time.