• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Symptom question please help

I am not diagnosed with anything. I have had recurrent abdominal/pelvic pain for 5 years now and I am 29 years old. I have had all possible gynecological possibilities checked and rechecked. And just yesterday a trip to the ER sure I had appendicitis( although it wasn't the first time I feared I had appendicitis, it was the worse and longest last bout of pain yet). I had a Ct scan last night that ruled out any emergency situations and was sent home as I was feeling better and told I had a stomach virus. I'm now wondering if my symptoms could be gastrointestinal related as we've checked other things but not that. If you could take the time to review my symptoms any input would be appreciated. Although I'm not in pain all the time when I am it sucks and when it goes away and there seem to be no reasoi get frustrated and feel crazy.

My symptoms: Sometimes I have intense cramps with bowel movements but not all the time. Sometimes I have multiple soft bms a day (3-5) but not watery and these are sometimes painful and sometimes not. Occasionally severe pain usually in my lower right stomach but can have pain other places, this is always accompanied by soft bms. The severe pain usually last 4-6 hours and then reduces to a very sore tender pain that last for 3-5 days after. This sore/tender pain hurts when I walk, sit down to quickly, use the bathroom, bend over, cough, or have sex. And then I will usually have random sore days and good days for a few weeks and then be fine for a few weeks or months and then it happens all over again. Some times the episode are as close as two weeks apart and I have went as long as 4-5 without one but there is never any warning or answer. But every time it seems to be worse.

Any comments would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Symptoms may be similar to IBS or IBD. A calprotectin stool test should help your doctors understand if you could have an IBD.

With symptoms like these I think you should see a GI. There are a number of tests which could aid in a diagnosis: blood tests, an upper GI series with small bowel follow through, scopes, etc. At the very least your GP could order some of them to start with.

Thank you both very much. I plan to see my GP this week or next to see about getting a referral to a GI. But it helps me to know from people who experience it, that it does seem like a possibility. I have been to the doctor numerous time with my bouts of pain and sometimes I feel crazy or silly and to know it atleast seem plausible makes me feel more confident going to the doctor and suggesting it, thanks again.

With symptoms like these I think you should see a GI. There are a number of tests which could aid in a diagnosis: blood tests, an upper GI series with small bowel follow through, scopes, etc. At the very least your GP could order some of them to start with.
I agree.

You might want them to check for celiac disease as well. My only symptom was severe pain. It's a simple blood test to start, then an endoscopy.