• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appetite and Weightloss: How do YOU deal with it?

I've never had a great relationship with food, in large part because eating food meant digesting and passing food and, like many of you, it's often uncomfortable or painful.

A month ago I had a seton placed in prep for fistulotomy (not yet scheduled). Add in meds w/ appetite supressing AND nauseating side effects, a feeling of chronic fatigue, and a scop patch for the nausea that makes everything taste funny, and I'm really struggling to eat. I've lost 10 pounds in the month since seton placement.

I've tried stocking my favorite foods, eating smaller portions, eating more calorie dense foods, and increasing my liquid calorie intake. And of course I eat only colon-friendly food that is doctor approved. I'm still losing weight. Can I stand to lose 20 lbs? Sure. But when my body is recovering from surgery, I figure its a bad time to lose weight.

Have you dealt with/experienced psychological blocks around eating post-surgery? Do you struggle with nausea? Have you lost weight post-op despite trying not to? Are you struggling to find an appetite and maintain basic caloric needs? WHAT DID YOU DO? I'd love to hear some solutions, but I would also be satisfied to hear the voices of others who experience this-- to know we share an experience. Is there anybody out there?