Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Microbiome Testing

01-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Microbiome Testing

Hi all

Iíve just become aware of the fact you can send off an at home microbiome kit for feedback on what youíre lacking amongst other things.

Has anyone ever done this and found it to be helpful? Itís not available on the NHS and isnít exactly cheap but if I thought it might have some benefit I would definitely give it a try!

Thanks

Currently taking Azathioprine 100mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, B12 Injections and various supplements. Azathioprine failing so awaiting next steps
01-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Scipio

My Support Groups:
∑ Stelara
I'd be cautious about it if it is very expensive. IMO the microbiome is the wave of the future for IBD and perhaps a bunch of other diseases as well. But right now it is early days. A lot of research is being done but the situation is still very confused. The microbiome is very complex and quite variable from one person to the next. Which makes interpretation of any one person's microbiome test very difficult.

So I follow microbiome research with interest, but things will have to get a lot clearer and more certain before I'd shell out any substantial amount of money for a commercial microbiome test.
01-03-2018, 04:31 AM   #3
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Thank you, very wise words. I think if I was on a treatment regimen that was having some effect I wouldnít feel the need to try this out. Itís probably just frustration while I wait to start the next drug.

Iíll keep my eyes open for updates on this though!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Microbiome Testing