• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Widespread flareup

Hello,

First-time poster.

I just got the results from a colonoscopy, and apparently there's Crohn's both in the rectum and most of the colon. They haven't checked the small intestine yet, but I assume that at least the ileum is bad too, because it always is during my flares.

The unusually (for me, at least) large spread of inflammation is a bit worrying. Is that more difficult to treat? (45 mg Prednisone, btw). Does anyone have a similar experience?

I asked the doc, but her answer seemed evasive. Of course, a doctor wouldn't say "Yes! Worry!"

From my experience they will treat wide spread inflammation the same way as just one or two spots.

The only exception is it takes surgery off the table.

No problem.. glad I could help some. I had my entire colon full of ulcers and strictures they stuck with the normal stuff. Might have to take more of it, or a combination of it but should just be meds.

I agree with Nica on this one. It would take the sugery off the table. However, the treatments are going to remain the same. In the beginning, my CD was localized to a few areas. Now, it seems that it's gone all over but mostly inflamation.
<3 Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Nica on this one. It would take the sugery off the table.
Off the table? You mean I'd have to stand up during surgery?;)

Actually, no surgery is exactly what I want to hear, so it must be true.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah other than surgery and maybe a couple meds whih target specific areas widespread isnt the end of the world for you. Mine is pretty well spread out. Mouth, small intestine spotted, most of colon, and heavily affected rectum. The drugs Im on work for the whole GI tract so it wouldnt matter if just in one area or not. Best of luck and welcome to the forums.