• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Good carbs? scd

What are some good carbs someone can eat while on scd? I talked to a nutritionists about my crohns and the SCD diet she said all is well but that im eating too much protein (chicekn breasts) she says eventually my kidney wil break the protein into needed carbs and thats a hassle for the kidney over time..

what are some good carbs i can have while on this diet? (ive been carbless for 2 weeks i dont really crave them, i just want to give my kidney a break)

SCD is a very low carb diet,
don't worry about the kidneys, maybe if it was long term but not yet.
Eat more fat (good fat -saturated or mono-unsaturated but not vegetable oils)
You body can run on fat as it's fuel, you might get 'low-carb flu' (google it) but after that you are set.
Most dieticians don't know shit:)

wait saturated fats are good? why are we raised thinking they are bad?

dumb question olive oil doesnt count as vegetable oil does it?

First up - i'm a crank - my opinions are far from the 'conventional wisdom' that saturated fats are bad.
It's a big topic and i won't get far before i get bored with my two finger typing.

Basically back in the 60/70's there were two schools of thought
- the british scientists who thought sugar (and carbs) caused heart disease
-and the americans, who said it was cholesterol (and fat- guilty by association) that did it.

The americans won and for 60 years they have been demonising cholesterol and saturated fat,

If you are interested then these links will bring you up to date
- it's not hard to find the complete opposite being preached by someone else so you need to decide who you trust - me, i trust 3 million years of evolution

"Heart Disease and Molecular Degeneration" by Chris Masterjohn
http://vimeo.com/27692174
This guy is worth listening to, PhD in nutritional science - he covers the whole subject and you won't find a more complete summary of the topic,

Dr. Peter Attia: The limits of scientific evidence and the ethics of dietary guidelines -- 60 years of ambiguity
http://vimeo.com/45485034#at=0
i think he's been on a ketogenic diet (very low carb) for a couple of years while being a surgeon and athlete with no damage to his kidneys

Olive oil is good if it is not old and oxidised (rancid)

"Olive oil isn’t harvested by leaving open containers under leaking, dripping olives on the branch, nor is that liquid sloshing around inside a coconut pure oil. I’m not trying to disparage processing in and of itself. It takes a certain amount of processing to get any sort of oil, but a good general rule is to avoid consuming the oils that require processing on a large scale. If it involves an industrial plant, multiple stainless steel vats, a deodorizer, a de-gummer, and the harsh petroleum-derived solvent known as hexane, I wouldn’t eat it."
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/#ixzz2hxRfKjsh

Last edited:
My personal experience has always been that the more carbs I eat the more active my disease is. So I don't think there are any good carbs.

I tested Corn sugar which is pure dextrose and therefore more easily absorbed than anything else and that gave me trouble too (sadly)

The LDN I'm on now seems to have lifted my depression, but not much in terms of getting rid of the disease as far as I can tell. When I can eat carbs again without hemorrhoids I'll know I'm good.

I do worry if my organs will be able to keep up when I'm older (I'm 25) but I don't think there would be any problem living on meat/protein when your still young.

As far as I've read the only vegetable oil I know of that might be bad is Soybean oil. (I like sunflower oil most personally I think it's because of the vitamin E)

Note that I don't think a low carb diet is optimal for most people. Just that it seems to work for me. The healthiest diet for normals is low density carbs(but lot's and lot's of them) or basically lot's and lot's of vegetables.

Last edited:
A good SCD carb is carrots, but not parsnips or other roots or tubers. Pumpkin is also legal. Straight from "the book" which I own and love. I keep cans of pumpkin around and make pumpkin bread with almond flour.

You can make your own pumpkin by baking it, scraping it out, and mashing it... then I freeze it in Tupperware until needed. I have squash parties over the weekend where I bake a pumpkin and a spaghetti sqash, and prepare them so I have "low carb" carbs for the week - though it usually lasts longer. The spaghetti squash I put in long flat Tupperware in the fridge so it's ready for meaty tomato sauce anytime.

Recipe - Pumpkin Bread

WARNING: Don't make the mistake of thinking "adding good fat to this will make it better" like I did the first time. It's a common Paleo mistake on this bread... there isn't enough fiber in it to soak up the extra fat (if you can tolerate coconut flour - I can't - then you can add some and it will soak up extra oil, if not, don't add extra "good fat")... or it will turn out greasy like you've soaked it in oil, not appetizing.

heat oven to 375 F
grease medium loaf pans (2)

3 cups pumpkin (canned, pure, not the mix for pie)
(or you can make it yourself by baking, scraping and mashing)
3 cups almond flour
3 eggs beaten
3 T melted butter (or sub melted coconut oil if you prefer)
1-2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
optional:
3 T honey up to 1/2 cup
cinnamon to taste (plus other spices, cardamom is good)

Mix pumpkin, flour, butter, salt. Then mix beaten eggs, optional honey and spices. Mix well, then add baking soda and mix again. Since baking soda only has one chance to react, you add it at the end, and don't decide to take a break at this point, put it in the pans and in the oven right away.

Divide dough into halves, half each into loaf pans, they should be underfilled, and bake for 40-60 minutes.

If you don't sweeten this bread, it works for any meal, if you do, it's great for breakfast. If you have a problem with eggs, you can make a substitute from flax by grinding them, soaking them in hot water, and then straining the mixture. It forms a gel that is very similar to the material that eggs are made of. Do strain it though, because the fiber of flax is very nasty.

wait saturated fats are good? why are we raised thinking they are bad?

dumb question olive oil doesnt count as vegetable oil does it?
This is a very tricky question. Yes for a large majority of people, saturated fat is tipped toward good rather than bad. The reasons for why we've been taught the opposite are complex and more political than health focused. There's a deconstruction of how we got where we are in our health advice in a book called "Death by Food Pyramid" by Denise Minger. For a young'un, she's wise far beyond her years. She concludes that you should "make your diet work for you, don't work for your diet."

Reading that was like food emotional therapy for me. I was constantly trying to be "good" and "do the right thing" with my diet. But it never worked for me.

And yes, you've got it right, olive oil is different. It has far less Omega-6 than other oils that come from the plant kingdom. Ditto for the coconut and red palm oils. Coconut has an additional interesting effect on the brain: it feeds it some kind of superfuel. But it would take forever to explain it all. There's an author, Udo Erasmus that has a couple of good books on this. I think his older book is actually easier to unders, although his terminology is a little different from what people use today.

It's enough to say that olive oil isn't as inflammatory as other vegetable oils. But you shouldn't think that all saturated fats are "evil" or anything. Because your body is unique and may not react in the LDL-raising way to them. Only certain genetics reacts that way, and even then, only in certain circumstances. If you're monitoring your LDL levels, and they're okay, I wouldn't fuss. Plus cholesterol is imperative for your body and it's almost impossible to get cholesterol without some SFA coming along for the ride.

There's tons of research out there showing how nasty it is if your dietary cholesterol drops. Effects on sex hormones and emotional/mental health mainly but anything affected by hormones since your body makes hormones form cholesterol. You can check it out on PubMed by searching for something like "cholesterol." Depends how deep you want to delve.

Just one example:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11111098

Of interest to men:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6298507