• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post colonoscopy discomfort and pain

hey - had a colonoscopy monday...with drugs, although they were completly ineffective and I felt the entire thing - not *cramping* as warned, but like razor blades throughout, and even felt the biopsy.A tad bit of screaming was heard....oops.

Now, I can hardly walk as I feel like I have baseballs in my pelvic floor - anyone else have issues with post-C scoping? (should mention scope attempted in 08 could not be completed due to pain and yes, I am not a wimp - I actually have a high threshold)

I could not see the screen well, but one image I did catch certainly did not look like all the internet pics I researched. It looks like a red swollen mushroom - all pooffy.

the doc didn't talk to me after and even though I could not walk out - so I am left to wait 2-4 weeks according to the nurse as that will be the time for the pathology report. Would have been nice for a quick summary so I am not here thinking it's all in my head.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Well feeling all that pain could be the cause of your current discomfort as well as possible inflammation and the stress of the prep. The pain stresses out your body not to mention I'm sure you flexed your muscles a lot which would make them hurt later.

What meds did they give you for it? Apparently it wasn't enough. I had one done last week and I heard that they normally give Demerol and Versed but only 4mg or Versed. I on the other hand need more so they gave me 6mg but I've heard others on this forum say that they've been given 10mg. Maybe there's a shortage of Versed or maybe its expensive, I dunno but if you do get another scope in the future, let them know that your past two done weren't medicated enough (look on your paperwork or ask your GI when you see them again to see how much they did give you and what they gave you).

My doc came to me after and spoke to me quickly yet I was all drugged up and don't remember anything he said. I have to wait till the 28th for the results.

Call them and let them know just so they can keep a log of your current symptoms or maybe they'll know what's wrong if anything and give you a call back to let you know if you need to come in sooner.

Hey Keara

YES! I too had a colonoscopy on Monday and I had a bit of a nightmare..... I was given pethadin and something else (i'm in the UK) and could feel everything, when they got to the first "turn" I was in agony and told them to stop. So they stopped and retried and stopped and retried and after a couple of minutes of moving into different positions and really gritting my teeth they got round it and carried on....

After the procedure I was and still am in a fair amount of pain in my abdomen (walking can be painful). I have only been to the loo once since and it was covered in mucus and blood (from the biopsies taken I guess).

I'm awaiting the biopsy results.....

I was given fentanyl and versed - and the largest dose allowed with ZERO effect. I looked at my med records here (I have kept a journal since dx'd - has served helpful) and I had fentanyl before in the ER and it never worked. It lasta about 1 mins with me. I get, if needed, dilaudid in ER.

Still hard to walk with lower right side pain now today (duh, like we haven't had that before...) and back. I kind of want the normal pain back :) lol

most people do finw with the scopes stargirrrrl - the ladt next to me was laughing and drinking apple juice - her mouth dropped when she saw me crying being wheeled in though....

I asked my GI about being put under, and he said it was not an option here. Well, there'll be no more scopes without it for me.....or, trying dilaudid instead of the fent. pooey!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I don't know what drugs I was given during my colonoscopy, but I was completely out and don't remember any of it, fortunately. But I was in massive pain the next day - it was like waves of horrible pain that came on about every 10 minutes. I called my GI to see if that was normal or if I should go to the ER. He said that if pain is one of my normal symptoms, then "extra" pain after a procedure like that would be considered normal. He said to go to the ER if I experienced any new symptoms (like fever) or if the pain got worse. It slowly, gradually got better and I didn't get any new symptoms, so I didn't go to the ER. But it was miserable and it took about a week for me to feel okay again.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Good god I thought with a colonoscopy you got a general anesthetic? Am terrified now I have to have one soon!
Not everyone isn't affected by the drugs they use. It's not that common to feel everything. And don't forget, not everyone is put under for it. Some just get lube and deal with the pain. I'll never be doing that though.

When you go in for you scope, ask them what they will give you and let them know that you don't want to be aware of anything and don't want to feel anything. They'll know what you mean and give you drugs. Just ask them what it is and how much and what it does. If you're still aware when its time to begin, let them know and ask/demand more.

@ Keara - I don't know what the largest does of Versed is. I was told that when they gave me 6mg but like I said, some people on here posted saying that they got 10mg and I know that when I was a kid and getting these tests done, I remember NOTHING and usually didn't even wake up in the waiting room. They knocked me out cold. Versed is clear, the stuff they gave me as a kid was white. If you want the white stuff like they give before surgery, I believe the procedure has to be done at a hospital with an anesthesiologist.