• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I give my ostomy presentation tomorrow!

Tomorrow I will present my ileostomy to my classmates in an oral presentation discussing proctocolectomy, J-pouch, and ileostomy surgery, and how the surgery world can make things easier on us ostomates. No one in my class has any clue that I am the "patient" I am discussing..until the last slide which will be picture of me showing Sideshow Bob. I am stressing the importance of having a good length for ileostomy to avoid skin issues, good placement on the abdomen so that the bag will stick and clothes won't interfere, that a good cuff is sewn on the skin to hopefully avoid prolapse, etc.,etc.

Anyone want me to add anything in particular?

p.s. I am both excited and freaking out about doing this! :)

Nyx

I can't think of anything to add, but good luck with the presentation! Are you going to tell them that the last slide is you?

Nyx

That's awesome!! Expect a lot of questions. I've never exposed mine to a big group but I've showed mine to all my friends and they always ask all kinds of things!

My instructor thinks they will want to see it up close and personal. It will be interesting. Thanks for your good wishes!

My instructor thinks they will want to see it up close and personal.
I think this is a great idea - far better than seeing only pictures, especially if they get to see output coming out... ;)

I had video of stuff coming out and audio of just the noises. When the whole presentation was done, I took off my bag and they all came up to look close and touch it (with gloves on). It went really well! I was shaking through the whole thing until they were excited about checking it out. A few tried out sizing it and applying a new bag.

I had video of stuff coming out and audio of just the noises. When the whole presentation was done, I took off my bag and they all came up to look close and touch it (with gloves on). It went really well! I was shaking through the whole thing until they were excited about checking it out. A few tried out sizing it and applying a new bag.
Sounds fantastic! So glad everything went well :dusty: