• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could azathioprine be insufficient for some Crohn's patients?

I've been on aza for approximately 18 months.
Last December my doctor told me that according to my weight I was undertreated.
So we agreed to increase the daily dose from 3 to 4 pills a day.
Indeed during the colonoscopy he detected 8 apthus ulcers near the anastomosis.
At that time all of my lab tests were perfect.
He also succesfully performed a balloon dilation cause the anastomosis was found to be strictured.
I have already booked an appointment with him for a second colonoscopy by June.
So if aza fails , are there enough biologics to match every single patient and put him in the desirable remission ? 😱

I've been on aza for approximately 18 months.
Last December my doctor told me that according to my weight I was undertreated.
So we agreed to increase the daily dose from 3 to 4 pills a day.
Indeed during the colonoscopy he detected 8 apthus ulcers near the anastomosis.
At that time all of my lab tests were perfect.
He also succesfully performed a balloon dilation cause the anastomosis was found to be strictured.
I have already booked an appointment with him for a second colonoscopy by June.
So if aza fails , are there enough biologics to match every single patient and put him in the desirable remission ? 😱
The ones that I am aware of are Remicade, Stelara, Humira, Simponi and Entyvio. There is always research going on.

Oh I'm so sorry how did you deal with this ?
I began taking this medication in 2001 after I was diagnosed with Crohn's. At some point, my dosage was increased (I cannot remember the dosage). However, I was in private practice at the time and I was unable to secure good healthcare insurance due to my pre-existing medical condition (Crohn's). All I could afford was catastrophic insurance. Because of this, my GI was giving me this medication in samples and I wasn't able to maintain regular blood work tests to determine how this med was affecting me. As a result, I now have stage 3 kidney disease. It is stable as long as I stay away from meds that negatively affect the kidneys.

In 2009, I needed to have an ileostomy. In spite of that, the Crohn's returned. And now I am on Entyvio infusions. The good thing about Entyvio is that it doesn't affect the kidneys like the med in question.

So, as long as you are on this med, please make sure that you get regular blood tests to make sure it isn't negatively affecting your kidneys.

Oh god I hope everything to be right for you from now on.
I get regular lab testing , every single month.
One good thing about the country I live, Greece, is that despite of all the socioeconomical problems, all patients,who can't afford to have an insurance have free pass to doctors , medications and hospitals with just their social security number.
It's so sad to hear that the lack of a good insurance can bring up such serious complications to a patient.
Wish you sincerely the best

Scipio

The ones that I am aware of are Remicade, Stelara, Humira, Simponi and Entyvio. There is always research going on.
There is also Cimzia.

And to answer the OP's question: yes, it is certainly possible for azathioprine to be insufficient for any given patient. It's a pretty good medicine in general, but it doesn't work for everyone and some cannot tolerate the side effects.

Oh god I hope everything to be right for you from now on.
I get regular lab testing , every single month.
One good thing about the country I live, Greece, is that despite of all the socioeconomical problems, all patients,who can't afford to have an insurance have free pass to doctors , medications and hospitals with just their social security number.
It's so sad to hear that the lack of a good insurance can bring up such serious complications to a patient.
Wish you sincerely the best
Thanks. I live in the USA. You probably are aware of our health care crisis. It is ridiculous. I wish you the best as well.

Scipio

Ahh that’s so scary what blood test looks at the kidneys?? I get monthly blood tests for: FBC, LFT and U+E. Would that pick up kidney problems?
Yes, U+E (urea plus electrolyte) test is an assessment of kidney function. Other common routine blood tests for kidney function include creatinine and EGFR.

EFGR is a calculated value based on your blood creatinine combined with your age and sex.

Lynda Lynda

I just had my first blood draw today but did not look at the paperwork. I just started 6mp.
Risk of infections is higher ?
Today in the crowded lobby of Sonora Quest Labs a kid was coughing a lot, so I put on my hospital type mask. I bought a box of them a while ago to wear because I am ultra sensitive to smoke, chemicals, scented products, epoxy, gasoline etc. I carry them in my vehicle, my purse and at home. I am not afraid to wear one if I am in a crowded space with coughing people. Take Care. Lynda.

I just had my first blood draw today but did not look at the paperwork. I just started 6mp.
Risk of infections is higher ?
Today in the crowded lobby of Sonora Quest Labs a kid was coughing a lot, so I put on my hospital type mask. I bought a box of them a while ago to wear because I am ultra sensitive to smoke, chemicals, scented products, epoxy, gasoline etc. I carry them in my vehicle, my purse and at home. I am not afraid to wear one if I am in a crowded space with coughing people. Take Care. Lynda.
I think it lowers your immune system.

Lynda Lynda

Had blood draw Thursday. Got results today. Medical Assistant said "stable." But I still see my GI on June 1st, so I can ask more questions about it. I wrote down some of the things mentioned here. I thought this blood draw was to check my liver ? Started 6mp 2 weeks ago. I am having some mild side effects, I believe. Will write these down to mention to my GI.
Take Care.