• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade question.

theOcean

You definitely can. I would go straight to my classes after an infusion. Sometimes if I was given Benadryl beforehand I might be a little sleepy, but it wears off fast.

I used to go to work straight after my infusions, but would feel quite tired during the day.
If you can go home afterwards and have a rest I'd advise it, I always felt better when I did this.

Thanks you two

I plan on going to work 11pm till 7am then go to my infusion and back to work. My first one is friday... Im a bit excited haha

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hope it works well for you. I have gone to work after my infusion, I too get Benadryl which makes me a bit sleepy but I get over it fairly fast. I do try to have my infusion in the early afternoon, that way I go into work early, work half a day then off to the infusion...then home to hang out and usually go to bed early.

I never took Benadryl in connection with my infusions, but I was still drowsy for about 12 hours after I had one. Yet, I did always go back to work directly after an infusion.

Best wishes with your infusions. May they bring you great relief! :)

My son goes back to school after him. I kept him home after the first 2 so I could monitor for reaction but he drove me crazy he was so full of energy. He crashes hard about 8pm day of infusion.
Good luck I hope it works wonders for you

Hi-

Had my first infusion on friday and I feel nothing, possibly worse.

Yesterday at work my arse was bleeding. I still feel pain down there. Today I woke up with an extreme case of moist butt and when I wiped there was blood.
*cries

theOcean

Sometimes it isn't immediately effective for people. It may be better at the next infusion. But if you feel you start getting worse again, contact your GI and let them know.

theOcean

Like I said before: sometimes people find it doesn't help until a few infusions later. That might be the case for you, unless you have antibodies to it, which is why it's a good idea to get tested for them.

I hope that's not the case for you, but there are other biologics to try at least.

theOcean

Because Remicade is made from mouse protein it's more common than, say, with Humira (human protein) to build up antibodies to it, AKA your body is rejecting it. I turned out to have extremely high antibodies to Remicade and had to switch to Humira instead, which I have no antibodies to. When you have high antibodies it's less effective or not effective at all, and you can get allergic reactions to it (I did). That's why I was suggesting it.

theOcean

I don't have hemorrhoids, so I can't really speak from experience about it. :( I did have some issue with leakage though because of my fistula. It may just be that there's too much localized inflammation and that's interfering with the muscles there.

theOcean

This is not necessarily true. MANY people don't start to show improvement until after the first three loading doses, and even then some don't show improvement until a few months have gone by.
I said as much, yes. But in the meantime it is frustrating to get worse instead of better, and is still something to keep an eye on.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
As it was mentioned above, it may take a while for your body to start healing itself if the Remicade is working for you - it also sounds like you may be having an issue with your hemmorhoids, could ther possibly be a fissure too that is bleeding? I have very sensitive skin up through my crack - and wiping too had can cause irritation and some blood to show on tissue.

What you should be concentrating on is how you feel your insides are doing - have you seen any improvement yet on bathroom trips such as having more time between trips, any change/improvement in the BM itself etc....

The remicade itself can make you feel crappy for a few days, hopefully you will start to feel better soon!