• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So frustrated, tempted to just give up and go to the ER

I'm barely able to type this, and thats with 15 mg of oxycodone....The pain is almost unbearable. I'm so frustrated. I've called my internist (the person who prescribes me my pain medication) twice in the past week telling him one pill doesn't do enough. The first time he didn't change anything....the second time over the phone he said I could take a pill and 1/2 (7.5 mg) of oxy SOMETIMES (rofl).

I'm having to take 3 just to not go into the fetal position. It's been like this for weeks but today is the worst of them. I don't know how to get through to my internist....my GI won't prescribe me steroids....so I am reliant on the pain medication/cramping medication to keep me somewhat functional but it's not enough.

How do I get my internist to take my pain more seriously? It's a fucking invisible disease I don't know what to do. I wish others could feel your pain just for 5 minutes...

Please don't lecture me about taking more than prescribed, I know I shouldn't have...but we all know what pain can do to logic here ><

I'm lost and rambling, sorry...I'm just so frustrated...I'm tired of feeling excruciating pain when I shouldn't have to.

I think you probably need to go to the ER. You may also need a different internist. Let us know how you are doing.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Is that the only medication you have been given? Living on pain killers is not an acceptable way to live, sounds like you need a new doctor who will treat the cause, not the result!

I just started a clinical trial drug, I've run out of most options...remicade humira etc... I've either been allergic or failed them sadly. I've had only one dose of it and it takes around 2-3 months to work...so I've got a while to go.

I just started a clinical trial drug, I've run out of most options...remicade humira etc... I've either been allergic or failed them sadly. I've had only one dose of it and it takes around 2-3 months to work...so I've got a while to go.
I am on Humira and I have one Facebook friend who said it took her about four months to work.

my little penguin

Staff member
If they won't do steriods
Can they put you on EEN ( exclusive enteral nutrition )?
It's as effective as steriods at inducing remission
No solid food is allowed only formula ( ensure /boost/peptamen /peptide /neocate Jr /elecare Jr or eo28 splash )
Ds has done this more than once when he could take humira due to an infection.

Not sure it would be allowed with a trial but it does induce remission

Good luck

Were you able to get some good medical help and relief? Is there a reason that your GI won't give steroids for acute symptoms? (I am willing to admit I missed something!).

Pain killers help pain, but not the inflammatory bowel.

I thought opiates like this negatively affect the gi tract? I'm wondering if the pain medication isn't making this worse? It's called opiod induced constipation, that may actually induce a blockage.
Id say try to wean yourself off these powerful opiates take a moderate dose of tylenol or something like that for a few days. Then do some more work with your diet to control your gi symptoms, reduced lactose and refined sugar intake and total sugar intake, remove problem carbs like corn rice and potatoes, eat some oats and whole wheat, maybe this will temporarily help you until you can find a different med.

Double check for irritating chemicals in your diet and make sure they are not messing with your system, things like artificial sweeteners like splenda/sucralose, apartame,acelfame k/potassium,saccharin, etc. Foods like veggies or fruits with herbicides or pesticides -aim for organic!! or any other strange chemical you could think of maltodextrin is another one to watch out for and carageenan.

Avoid large amounts of red meat, aim for chicken or cooked fish. watch out for large amounts of omega 6 fats like corn oil , gets some canola or soy in your diet. Make turmeric tea at least 1/4 tsp with black pepper can help fight off a flare. That might get you through this one!! good luck!! and then see your gi.

Last edited: