• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support

I was too ambitious coming off all meds at start of diet. Going back on 7.5 pred as I have to have an appetite and control flares while the diet works. I also have secondary arthritis and I am starting to lock up.

What have the SCD dieters done about tailing off meds? Do you wait until you feel better?

I was too ambitious coming off all meds at start of diet. Going back on 7.5 pred as I have to have an appetite and control flares while the diet works. I also have secondary arthritis and I am starting to lock up.

What have the SCD dieters done about tailing off meds? Do you wait until you feel better?
Is there a reason you can't go Paleo/SCD while on meds?
I think that will be the easiest way (you won't know what is helping and what isn't, but you should be able to taper your meds as you improve)

Do you ever use rice flour or do you only stick with actual rice?
Rice is NOT SCD and NOT paleo,
If anyone does add rice please give the diets a fair amount of time and add rice in without adding anything else to confuse the issue.(I was pure paleo for 18 months and was totally symptom free) .
- edit- paleo with hard cheese and ghee
I found i never needed the extra calories (but i ate lots of paleo sweet potato and roast veg) but the taste with a chicken curry or a stir fry was wonderful, and it helps the budget alot.
i use white rice and rice noodles.

Is there a reason you can't go Paleo/SCD while on meds?
I think that will be the easiest way (you won't know what is helping and what isn't, but you should be able to taper your meds as you improve)
Sorry, to make it clear I am one week into the SCD diet and will continue. I had decided to be med- free from the start but that was unrealistic so now I will take prednisone in as low a dose as possible to control flares and give me an appetite for the things I can eat.

Rice is NOT SCD and NOT paleo,
If anyone does add rice please give the diets a fair amount of time and add rice in without adding anything else to confuse the issue.(I was pure paleo for 18 months and was totally symptom free) .
- edit- paleo with hard cheese and ghee
I found i never needed the extra calories (but i ate lots of paleo sweet potato and roast veg) but the taste with a chicken curry or a stir fry was wonderful, and it helps the budget alot.
i use white rice and rice noodles.
Thanks, Hugh. I know that rice is not SCD but thanks for clarifying that for those who may not be aware :) I wasn't planning to try rice any time soon but I was curious how long you waited.

My daughter, who has been on the diet for 7 years, began it right after Prednisone had put her into remission, drug free, but we plan to taper our son's Pentasa and Prevacid...see how he does.

Thanks, I hope your daughter is doing well. I think the difference is that I cannot get into remission through the medication so I am starting with reduced meds which I then hope to eliminate when I achieve remission through a combination of meds and diet. Without prednisone in doses of 7.5 I just flare up and cannot eat much at all so I do not want to go back down that road, however positive I feel about the diet over time.

Yes, daughter has remained drug free for 7 years and feels great, even though she no longer strictly follows the diet.

I am delighted for her and wish the same success for your son. Stories like this keep me going as I start to go through the period where it "gets worse before it gets better". Feel like I have flu but it feels different to the Crohn's, though maybe that's in there as well. Whatever, I am set on it now. I WILL succeed.

Trying to find flour substitutes in France and came across this ( the grape pip flour). It's bio. Can't see why not but now I am converted I want to follow the rules. Sure sounds safer than a croissant, though....

My next project is a cottage cheese/farmers cheese equivalent and I have been looking at the local brousse which is made from either fresh goats or ewes milk. The problem is she doesn't seem to approve of goats cheese (by which I am much the loser round here) so maybe same applies?

Thank heavens mature cheddar cheese is so clearly ok and that I finally have a reliable supply route established. Just need something a bit like bread to wrap around it.

Last edited:
Paul,
Grapes, grape juice and grape seed oil are all 'legal', so you should be ok on Grape seed flour although it may be a bit strong on it's own?

Almond flour is a staple in our house, and for cakes it is amazing (once you get the hang of it (we beat the egg whites till stiff and fold in half of them and then the other half to get the right texture)) but i have yet to find a good almond flour bread. Coconut flour has potential too but both are nothing like flour.
There are thousands of recipes out there with the gluten free 'fad'.
Google paleo or SCD

Goat or Ewe's milk yougurt is fine, but see if you can get kefir grains, apparently contains far more strains of bacteria.
"Goat milk is much more digestible than cow’s milk and is often an option if you face a cow’s milk sensitivity/allergy. According to Dr. Natasha in The Gut and Psychology Syndrome:

Goats milk is considered to be more digestible by humans as it contains less casein and different types of fats and proteins.
"
http://empoweredsustenance.com/scd-goat-milk-yogurt/

http://scdlifestyle.com/2011/08/easy-scd-yogurt-–-directions-for-scd-legal-goat-milk-yogurt/
http://www.geocities.com/scd_post/faq2.html#goatyogurt
http://www.pecanbread.com/new/yogurt1.html
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/knowledge_base/detail/scd-yoghurt/

Some find the diet works well out of the box, some have to tweak,
I found this article interesting as a progression of diet fiddling.....
http://eugenia.queru.com/2012/12/08/the-gut-and-paleo-scd-gaps-fodmaps/

Paul,

Almond flour is a staple in our house, and for cakes it is amazing (once you get the hang of it (we beat the egg whites till stiff and fold in half of them and then the other half to get the right texture)) but i have yet to find a good almond flour bread. Coconut flour has potential too but both are nothing like flour.

]
We find this very true too. I gave up on finding a bread replacement. The closest thing is a flat bread I make from cauliflower. E likes cookies, etc made from almond flour but you do need a recipe created with almond flour in mind. You can just substitute almond flour equally with wheat flour in any old recipe. You probably can't do that for grape seed flour either.

Thank you both. We will stick with the almond flour. Ordered some kefir starter from Amazon and Will use with local bio goats milk. At first I will keep up the bio milk SCD compliant yog too, but a little less of it and even longer matured. I may have had to go back on 15mg pred but I fell better than before when dose was higher. My head is clearer and my nerves are more settled. Convinced this is the right direction even if I still need some meds for now.

Bon weekend!

.....do I make kefir in the same way as yog using the same (well cleaned) or duplicate equipment? Now I use an Easiyo thermos (tho not their culture which has bifidus).

Thanks, I hope your daughter is doing well. I think the difference is that I cannot get into remission through the medication so I am starting with reduced meds which I then hope to eliminate when I achieve remission through a combination of meds and diet. Without prednisone in doses of 7.5 I just flare up and cannot eat much at all so I do not want to go back down that road, however positive I feel about the diet over time.

Hi! My daughter skipped the meds, when we had been on SCD diet ca 3 months. Totally symptom free we were after 1 year of SCD... So it can take much time, before the diet has healed your guts. Be patient :)

Reading under common mistakes at pecanbread, was: Starting the yogurt too soon. But, yogurt is part of the into-diet.

I am confused.

Reading under common mistakes at pecanbread, was: Starting the yogurt too soon. But, yogurt is part of the into-diet.

I am confused.
I think that the science behind SCD is fantastic and it makes sense. At the same time, it isn't a one-size-fits-all deal. Many with crohn's cannot digest the milk proteins and for them it isn't just a lactose issue. I really think this is why some try SCD and say it doesn't work ~ they aren't willing to tweak. We have had to tweak SCD for E. He cannot have dairy at all, even the lactose free type, and he can't eat legumes (so no peanuts or peanut butter).

I have to agree with Charleigh,
I improved greatly on SCD but always had D until i stopped the yougurt.

I have to agree with Charleigh,
I improved greatly on SCD but always had D until i stopped the yougurt.
Hugh, forgive me if I have asked you this in the past, but do you take acidophilus or any other probiotics? If so, is there a brand of acidophilus you rely on? I have been ordering an SCD compliant brand for E but sometimes it is difficult to get. I would love a fall back brand :)

No, i don't,
i played around with probiotics but never felt they did much until i found kefir and kombucha.
I do believe they helped and that's all i take, but i'm at the mild end of the spectrum

.....do I make kefir in the same way as yog using the same (well cleaned) or duplicate equipment? Now I use an Easiyo thermos (tho not their culture which has bifidus).
No, you don't need any equipment to make kefir. You just set a bowl of milk in the counter, let it warm to room temperature, add your kefir grains, cover with a towel or dense cloth, and let sit for 24-48 hours, or until it thickens to the desired consistency.

kefir is actually much easier to make than yogurt, and contains far more strains of beneficial probiotics.

just to second what ya noy said, kefir is far easier to make than yogurt.

That being said, E simply cant handle dairy so he did not do okay on cow's milk kefir and the coconut milk kefir didn't seem to really help at all. I really wish E could tolerate dairy.

I feel better each day I am on the diet. We all become masters of positive thinking to handle this disease but what I am getting now is a big surge of spontaneous optimism. I catch myself feeling good. Spring helps, but this time I do believe I have found at the very least a powerful health weapon. Got up above 2000 Calories a day and starting to gain weight marginally.

I feel better each day I am on the diet. We all become masters of positive thinking to handle this disease but what I am getting now is a big surge of spontaneous optimism. I catch myself feeling good. Spring helps, but this time I do believe I have found at the very least a powerful health weapon. Got up above 2000 Calories a day and starting to gain weight marginally.
So great to hear that you are feeling good. It only gets better :)

When do you go from stage 1 to stage 2 to stage 3 foods, etc.? I'm afraid that since my daughter did the diet 7 years ago and not vegetarian, she's forgotten a lot and hasn't been much help to us.

The diet couldn't be more confusing to me. I read that you should wait 3 months to introduce peanut butter, but there are peanut butter recipes in stage 2. I don't get it. :(

Last edited:
first thing is relax!,
it's not cast in stone and there are small inconsistencies in the diet,

according to pecan bread.....

"The Stages of SCD

2. Introduce ONE new food at a time- a two to four day interval is a great (but not mandatory) guideline for introducing new foods. This will make it possible determine whether each new food can be tolerated.

3. This chart is based on the healing process that is taking place.
It is not based on a timeline
. Some people may be able to add new foods more quickly than others.

4. This list of foods is not all inclusive. "

http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html

I'd recommend not eating peanuts, they are not nuts, they are legumes,
Almond butter is a better choice.

http://whole9life.com/2009/12/peanut-manifesto/
"The far bigger concern, however, is that peanuts contain lectins which are believed to have inflammatory and atherogenic potential. Most plants contain lectins, some of which are toxic, inflammatory, or both. Many of these lectins are resistant to cooking and to digestive enzymes, and some have been scientifically shown to have significant GI toxicity in humans. Lectins from grains (especially wheat) and legumes (including peanuts and soybeans) are most commonly associated with aggravation of inflammatory and digestive diseases in the body. (As an aside, dairy from cows fed grain-based diets can also contain these grain-derived lectins.)

Recent research by Dr. Cordain has suggested that these lectins may effectively serve as a “Trojan horse” allowing foreign proteins to invade our natural gut defenses. Cordain reports, “An experiment conducted by Dr. Wang and colleagues and published in the prestigious medical journal Lancet revealed that PNA got into the bloodstream intact in as little 1-4 hours after subjects ate a handful of roasted, salted peanuts.” (Unfortunately, the abstract of this study is not available without a subscription.) The lectins can cause damage well beyond the gut – commonly in joints, brain, and skin of affected individuals. Continued exposure of the gut by these toxins leads to a persistent stimulation of the body’s defense mechanism in a dysfunctional manner, i.e. autoimmune disease. (Allergies fall into that category as well.)"

and
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-bad-is-peanut-butter-really/#axzz2T2ev0Q2G

This diet really is an individual thing. I remember that my daughter's favorite snack, after she was symtom free, was apple slices with peanut butter. She recently told me that peanut butter has never given her any problems. She has trouble with potatoes, rice and bread, but she does eat them occasionally and usually suffers very minor symptoms, but if she continues eating them, her symtems worsen. When she visits me, she cheats a lot, eating her old favorites, but says that if she did that all of the time, she'd get into trouble.

Thank you hugh! :)

Last edited:
Just agreeing with Hugh.

While the basis of no grains, no dairy, etc seem to be important, there are some small variations that seem individual. By introducing only one thing every few days, you will know if your body is ready for that food. Keep in mind too, what causes D in the early stages might be tolerated when the body is more healed. E could not handle many veggies would cause problems for him. We stuck with what he could digest, pushed forward on the diet, and his ability to digest certain foods continues to increase. For example, a few months ago he tried coleslaw and it made him sick. He wanted to try it again on Saturday and he seems perfectly fine.

Last edited:
10 days on the diet, although he is still drinking 4 Peptamen a day (half what he was drinking). He's feeling good, but hasn't gained any more weight. Still 101. He said that he could see pieces of zucchini in his BM today. (Well cooked zucchini noodles). No pain and his BM was solid and well formed. Diarrhea was never really an issue for him, he felt more like food wouldn't go down properly and having a BM exhausted him. All of that is gone.

Tomorrow, he wants to quit Peptamen entirely and start the intro diet again. What do you think?

It's not like the Peptamen was helping him gain weight and it does conflct with SCD.
I know what the dr is going to say...

$

$erendipitou$

Hello All,

I am new to the site and would like some guidance if at all possible. Also I well versed in health / nutrition too so may be able to help others.

I have been diagnosed with gastritis, Duodenitis & Hiatal Hernia, however I believe there could be more underlying causes / issues and I am still unndergoing tests.

I am hoping to start the SCD as soon as my BTVC book comes through.

I have many questions;

1. Can a parasite, liver and colon cleanse be attempted early on in the diet?

2. After the initial 2-5 day intro diet is it possible to re-intro foods nuts / seeds and other high-calorie foods? Being underweight and losing more weight is a key concern for many of us i guess!

3. What is the general consensus on using gut healing supplements like glutamine and other GI healing supps?

I look forward to hearing from you and sincerely wish you all the best of luck in overcoming your individual health challenges :)

Seren

Hi Seren,

You should get more qualified opinion but here is my two-pennyworth.

I guess it depends on the cleanse but unless it interferes in some way with the diet I cannot see why not. For example I have uncovered a well established candida infection and would wish to have taken anti fungals earlier. However, this is complementary at any time.

The mistake I make is to equate food intake with nutrition. Nutrition comes from what is absorbed by the gut. If you are not absorbing because of mucosal injury the excess is merely more work and fermentation. Heal the gut and absorb more from less.

I have gone for glutamine, echinacea and berberine because of the candida. I will read with interest other replies to your good questions.

Hello All,

2. After the initial 2-5 day intro diet is it possible to re-intro foods nuts / seeds and other high-calorie foods? Being underweight and losing more weight is a key concern for many of us i guess!

3. What is the general consensus on using gut healing supplements like glutamine and other GI healing supps?

Seren
I really don't know the answer to #1, but my thoughts would be to wait until you have been on the diet for a while?

#2 ~ We used the chart on pecanbread.com to determine the order to introduce.
Here is their recommendation for the intro diet...
http://pecanbread.com/p/how/introdiet.html

Here is for after the intro diet...
http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html

Once E wasn't having D as bad, we introduced some of the safer foods a bit faster, like two at a time rather than one at a time. I think smooth almond butter can be introduced sooner than other foods. I would hold off on beef, dairy, and peanuts/peanut butter. Just my opinion though :)
It is tough at first, but it does get better and more varied as you go. E actually felt worse and lost more weight before he got better. Don't expect it to be perfect at first. It took time and tweaking for E. At first, he couldn't digest some of the safe foods. As E healed, he was able to eat more and more variety. He can eat raw cabbage, strawberries, and many other foods thought of as bad for crohn's now that he is better. Elaine says to expect spells of D for up to a year into the diet. E hasn't had a D episode in so long, I honestly can't remember.

#3 ~ I would wait on adding supplements until after you are symptom free. Except for an SCD safe vitamin and an SCD safe acidophilus.

Hi Serendipitous! Welcome Aboard! I am familiar with all of the items you question. However, I don't feel qualified to recommend a particular direction.

There are two points I would like to put out there, though, if you are open to them. One, is that virtually all of the typical symptoms for Gastritis are the same symptoms for SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth), and it is commonly misdiagnosed among the IBS and IBD population as Gastritis. So if you haven't discussed it with your doc, you may want to mention it/rule it out. There is a good breath test for it (non-invasive, no pain, Yay!). I'm not trying to complicate your life, honest! The mainstream GI community is just getting to know the clinical data on SIBO from several scholarly research hospitals in Canada, US, UK, & Australia over the past 2 years, and some hospitals/docs are just not as aware of it to date, but it's very reputable/clinically supported information.

The second point is that if you do have SIBO, the SCD will not help as much because it allows honey, and fruits (apples, pears, etc.) that actually aggravate SIBO! The foodplan for SIBO is low-FODmaps Elimination (and then systematically broaden, thankfully) Diet. There are great wiki-links on this forum. There are also many RD's, one in particular that I follow, that educate and provide recipes/books for low-FODMAPS (there's a smartphone APP for it, too! WooHoo!).

Anyway, I recognize that I tend to be a broken record on this condition to its lack of representation/recognition. Should probably change my forum name to SIBOwoman...to the Rescue! hehe :)) Best wishes going forward.

$

$erendipitou$

Many thanks for your earlier reply Paul. How long have you been on the diet?? My major concern is losing weight as already somewhat underweight! :( However, if this diet helps me to re-establish my GI health then i'll be chuffed!

:) Seren

$

$erendipitou$

Hi Serendipitous! Welcome Aboard! I am familiar with all of the items you question. However, I don't feel qualified to recommend a particular direction.

There are two points I would like to put out there, though, if you are open to them. One, is that virtually all of the typical symptoms for Gastritis are the same symptoms for SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth), and it is commonly misdiagnosed among the IBS and IBD population as Gastritis. So if you haven't discussed it with your doc, you may want to mention it/rule it out. There is a good breath test for it (non-invasive, no pain, Yay!). I'm not trying to complicate your life, honest! The mainstream GI community is just getting to know the clinical data on SIBO from several scholarly research hospitals in Canada, US, UK, & Australia over the past 2 years, and some hospitals/docs are just not as aware of it to date, but it's very reputable/clinically supported information.

The second point is that if you do have SIBO, the SCD will not help as much because it allows honey, and fruits (apples, pears, etc.) that actually aggravate SIBO! The foodplan for SIBO is low-FODmaps Elimination (and then systematically broaden, thankfully) Diet. There are great wiki-links on this forum. There are also many RD's, one in particular that I follow, that educate and provide recipes/books for low-FODMAPS (there's a smartphone APP for it, too! WooHoo!).

Anyway, I recognize that I tend to be a broken record on this condition to its lack of representation/recognition. Should probably change my forum name to SIBOwoman...to the Rescue! hehe :)) Best wishes going forward.
I'm sincerely grateful for your reply Irishtarheel and pleased to meet your acquaintance :)

Some good points there. I knida see your point here and it's one that I contemplated during my research of SCD prior to joining the forum!

I've read extensively that SCD 'eradicates' (maybe exagerating with the word) SIBO (Dr. Siebecker)! I also thought well how can SCD deal with SIBO when it in effect feeds the bad bacteria!! I have to say while the diet looks as though it could revolutionise our approach to treating neurological / psychological / GI conditions it's very confusssssing!! lol :)

I ain't looking forward to all this cooking! I just like to KISS and go KEEP Fit! This diet will just keep me over the stove!! haha

$

$erendipitou$

I think ALL the mums out there deserve MAX respect for trying to help their kids back to great overall health!

My mum has always been there for me and she rox ! :)

It feels like a great amount of cooking at first (and it is!), but it lessens with time. Not only do your options open up, but you get more accustomed to a new way of eating. As you adjust, you stop trying to create substitutions for your old food loves. You change with time and those things you thought you couldn't live without are simply not a big deal anymore.

I'm not even cooking much. So far the diet seems easy, but we've been homebodies, which makes it easier.

Yesterday son ate:

B: 2 scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, toast and half a cantaloupe.
L: Cream of mushroom soup, steamed spinach, slice of cheese bread.
D: Zucchini pasta with marinara, 2 poached eggs, fresh squeezed OJ, lots of watermelon.
Dessert: Yogurt with honey and pineapple.

100% SCD and 100% organic. I've been a long time proponent or organic food, though, so my son got sick eating organic food.

He used to eat this way:

90% organic:

B: Cereal, juice, tempeh bacon.
L: Pb&j, fruit, cookies or chips.
D: Tofu/beans and rice (often brown rice) or white pasta and Amy's marinara sauce with parmesan, veggie burgers, Tofurky sandwiches, vegetarian chili, pizza, homemade lentil soup and vegan lasagna. I usually made a big green salad every night, which he'd usually take a pass on. He used to eat a lot of whole wheat, now he eats none. He LOVED vegetarian sushi (nori, white rice, avocado, vegan seafood and cucs...) and I would love to find an a reasonable facsimile for him!

My son asked for "something warm" so I made him SCD Tomato Soup. Took literally 2 minutes to make and he said it was better than Campbell's. :)

Job

Hi all, I've been on the SCD for 2 1/2 yrs now, so I'll give you my journeyman's opinions.

I've been on all the meds, from Pentasa to Entocort to Remicade. They all did fairly well in controlling the symptoms, but could not stop the damage. I've had 3 surgeries, which prompted desperation to try sumthing different. Homeopathy & Naturopathy failed miserably. I stumbled across the SCD searching online, & thot I'd give it a try (that nothin 2 lose stance).

Against the urging, I did not start out with the intro diet, or even strictly adhering to the legal/illegal list. I still had sandwiches w bun, an occasional ice cream or bowl of cereal, but I stayed away from most of the bad stuff, like fries, bread, sugary drinks, etc. I noticed a difference in about a week. Since I was feeling much better, I put it 2 the test by decreasing my sulfa pills, which progessed to being off all meds within 3 months.

That lasted for about 1 1/2 yrs, which is amazing being drug-free (take that, idiot Drs!). But for nearly the past yr, my symptoms have been slowly returning. & now, I need 2 add sum other treatment.

So.....my personal conclusion: SCD is not the cure, but it does provide a significant benefit.

Daughter diagnosed at 24. Went on SCD after achieving remission with Prednisone. She has been symptom free ever since. She's 32. She sticks mostly to the diet, but "cheats" a lot, too. Often eats whatever she wants on the menu. If she does it too much, she begins to feel mild symptoms. She works in a hospital and has an aversion to them and drs, so she's not being monitored or tested, but she feels normal.

Son diagnosed at 16. Went into remission after doing EEN for 6 weeks. Started SCD April 6, but unfortunately he hasn't been as lucky as my daughter. He has had a couple of stomach aches, trouble with certain foods...etc., but we're hanging in there.

I really don't want him to have to take strong drugs, if they can be avoided. He is a fragile person, at a fragile age, but we won't be sticking our heads in the sand. He just had his fecal calprotectin test done. Best part about it was, he didn't even need to see a doctor! :)

Hi all, I've been on the SCD for 2 1/2 yrs now, so I'll give you my journeyman's opinions.

I've been on all the meds, from Pentasa to Entocort to Remicade. They all did fairly well in controlling the symptoms, but could not stop the damage. I've had 3 surgeries, which prompted desperation to try sumthing different. Homeopathy & Naturopathy failed miserably. I stumbled across the SCD searching online, & thot I'd give it a try (that nothin 2 lose stance).

Against the urging, I did not start out with the intro diet, or even strictly adhering to the legal/illegal list. I still had sandwiches w bun, an occasional ice cream or bowl of cereal, but I stayed away from most of the bad stuff, like fries, bread, sugary drinks, etc. I noticed a difference in about a week. Since I was feeling much better, I put it 2 the test by decreasing my sulfa pills, which progessed to being off all meds within 3 months.

That lasted for about 1 1/2 yrs, which is amazing being drug-free (take that, idiot Drs!). But for nearly the past yr, my symptoms have been slowly returning. & now, I need 2 add sum other treatment.

So.....my personal conclusion: SCD is not the cure, but it does provide a significant benefit.
Thank you for sharing your story. I don't think it is fair for anyone to conclude that SCD is not an answer when they didn't strictly stick to the diet. You can't throw a little SCD in the mix (and still eat normal here and there) and then conclude that it isn't an answer. While I understand the difficulty in sticking to such a strict diet, the diet is meant to be strict so unless you remain on the diet 100%, you can't conclude anything about it. While your personal experience is appreciated, it isn't valid experience because, as I understand in reading your post, you were never committed to the diet.
Where is Hugh when we need him? I rely on him to say the hard, but obvious, things! :rolleyes:

Son diagnosed at 16. Went into remission after doing EEN for 6 weeks. Started SCD April 6, but unfortunately he hasn't been as lucky as my daughter. He has had a couple of stomach aches, trouble with certain foods...etc., but we're hanging in there.
Amy, I can't remember how long your son has been on the diet? I am sure that at some point I have shared E's experiences with you. We had to alter the diet and keep it low reside at first but as he healed we were able to add in foods. E still doesn't consume any dairy, legumes (even peanuts -we use almond butter), or beef. I guess we accidentally followed more of a GAPS/paleo diet. For us, we had to realize that D was the symptom of E's insides being messed up. In order to keep him off the toilet, we refrained from many fruits and veggies at first but were able to slowly introduce them as he healed. We tried dairy at first and E really began to make great improvements when we completely removed it. We use an SCD safe acidophilus instead of yogurt.

Job

Well, 2 keep Hugh from exploding, here's been my diet for the last 2+ yrs:

baked chicken
grilled pork chops (gotta admit, w BBQ sauce)
grilled hamburger (no bun, but w ketchup)
green beans & peas (frozen) w cheddar
broccoli & carrots (fresh) w colbyjack
mashed cauliflower w butter & parmesan
bananas, apples, strawberries, pineapple, raisins, dried apricots
hardboiled eggs, peanuts, almonds, sunflower kernels
orange juice (diluted to 60%) & tea w honey

95%+ of the time. I eat these in small meals thruout the day. I hardly ever eat out, & if so, i will eat a sandwich w a bun. My sinful indulgence is a bowl of cereal, maybe once a week. I've noticed rice crispies r the ezest on my tummy. If we have treats @ work, i might nibble on a cookie all day, a donut or a small slice of cake. I'm human!

Doin this 95% worked for about 1 1/2 yrs, with very mild symptoms if any. All crohns sufferers r in diff stages, & as we have read, sum say its a miracle, others dont. Mayb it works 4 those w mild crohns & not for mod-severe sufferers? Mayb I'll bite the bullet & go 100%, just 2 say i did? But how long 2 determine it works or not.....4 me?

Following the SCD 95% may be helpful to you, but falling short of 100% means that you are not on the SCD.

You have to make your own legal ketchup and BBQ sauce...and no cereal. :ghug:

I was just kidding, i'm not going to explode,
I long ago worked out that what other people eat doesn't affect my digestion.

Glad you got some benefit from doing some of the diet, but you might be surprised at the effect of tiny amounts of grain [1]

Really, try the SCD diet and then let people know, but if you have never tried it then you can't really tell people that it doesn't work.

By the way, I'm human too, and i didn't eat any cereal or grain for almost two years with no drama at all. (paleo not SCD)
Now i have modified my diet to include white rice as it is not toxic like wheat and corn

[1]Coeliacs can show symptoms from as little as 1/233,333th of a slice of bread per day, and intestinal damage from as little as 1/8,750th of a slice of bread per day
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/P...nation/f/How-Much-Gluten-Can-Make-Me-Sick.htm

Last edited:
I was just waiting for Hugh to post so I could say....what he said :D

I do agree completely that you should try it 100% before you judge. I can't be 98% paleo or I still have symptoms. I have to be 100% and you might be the same way.

Hi, thank you very much for that. I have completed survey. I am big fan of the diet and believe that positive is much more important than the negative side. It is just inconvenient.

In fact the SCD diet helped me a great deal but not until I started to do it 100%. Then I started to get benefits. After that I still was not right and I had already had advice from Charleigh to consider stopping dairy. I was very reluctant to give more up.

Fast forward a bit to finding a naturopath here in France who - amongst other beneficial things like colonic irrigation and cognitive behaviour therapy - put me on the Seignalet diet.

This is not in the English language but is an ancestral diet which excludes dairy and cereals (unmodified rice is allowed though and quinoa etc) excludes also all processed or adulterated foods and prefers uncooked or lightly cooked proteins. I am nearly 100 % bio now. I eat lots of fruit, nuts, seeds, soya yoghurt, spiruline for breakfast, momma's chicken broth for lunch and light meats and veg in the evening. Banana cake and chicory at coffee time.

In addition to taking on board the Seignalet protocol I have continued to eliminate the bad starches (potatoes etc) which Is a more recent approach. A good local bio shop is helpful.

After 7 weeks I feel much better and despite ongoing minor problems I think in a matter of time I will cleanse my system completely. Having already eliminated Humira, I have reduced Prednisone from 20/25 mg p d to 5 mg p.d., eliminated Amitrityline, eliminated painkillers ( my arthritis is unbelievably better though the summer helps), avoided taking any of my 5 or 6 occasional medications.

After the colonic irrigation cycle the diarrhea was completely eliminated. It is now back a bit and I will soon have another round as it takes a few to cleans completely, since I did not stop the dairy until later on. My head was clear and is now slightly less so, but ditto. The next round will help to clear remaining toxins.

The usual years of disappointment had left me feeling like a prisoner waiting for the torturer to come around again and inwardly I had lost some hope. Now I believe firmly that I am on the right path and that I will regain a more normal existence. Still plenty of work to do but at last I have a clear path.

Having somebody (naturopath) actually listen to all your symptoms and history and fears etc and address this all holistically in partnership with you has been major for me as I was losing effective dialogue with the medical community.

Being diagnosed with Crohns (perhaps wrongly) I have 100% medical cover here. Humira at €25k per year was all free, but it was making me worse. I pay the naturopathy treatments myself and the cost is not small but it is giving me back my life.

If anybody is interested in hearing more just ask. Maybe I am a bit " born again" in my head but that's no bad thing.

My life lacked a spiritual dimension as I am not a traditional monotheist of any kind but 'The Power of Now' had already helped me and is much in tune with behavioural therapy.

Hello all :)

I'm really finding strength in reading this SCD diet thread!

My big question for you SCDers is... have you found that SCD can reduce a stricture?

I've Crohn's and I've been diagnosed for 15 years. I've played around with different diets through the years.

I'm lucky in that I've had no surgeries and haven't had to take any drugs stronger than flagyl, mercaptopurine and very occasional mild steroid usage.

I was even medication free for two years which I attribute to following the "four-hour body diet" rigorously for a year. After I left the 4HB diet I had a healthier concept of what to eat and cooked for myself more, yet I started cheating bad and symptoms returned.

After a colonoscopy and an MRI my GI says I've a stricture in my small intestine and wants me to return to mercaptopurine and also Remicade at the same time!

I accepted the mercaptopurine prescription (as I've taken it before) but refused the Remicade (I'm too scared of the side effects).

I'm committed to making myself healthy again through diet and after Google researching testimonials I've chosen SCD as my new diet.

I started it a few weeks ago but I didn't do the intro diet and had a flare up. Re-started the diet 5 days ago and have spent all 5 on the intro diet and feel great!

Has anyone else had experience specifically with Crohn's strictures and SCD?

I tried this diet 100% free for 12 weeks. I stopped as it wasn't giving me the benefits for the effort you have to put in (full time chef).
This diet unfortunately contributed to weight loss (already skinny).
However i do eat a gluten free diet as this helps me and it's easy to follow. But everyone is unique.

Hi all, recently joined the forum and I am hoping I found the right thread for this...
I was DX'ed with Crohn's about a year and a half ago. I have been on the SCD with basically 100% adherence since. (I am not on any meds) I was doing OK, and had no major complaints. Dr. proclaimed about 3-4 months ago that I had no inflammation, though still had strictures. Anyway, for the past couple of weeks, things are pretty crazy. I am making innumerable bathroom trips, can't really hold down any food. Taking too many painkillers etc. The past couple of days I mostly stuck with chicken soup and apple sauce and have seen some improvement. Any tips from the experts would be welcome!
As a side note, I thankfully lead a full life which can be quite stressful at times, currently my stress level is quite high, hoping that is the only cause of all this stomach ache.
Thanks guys

OK, SCD update. I've done SCD now for 4 months with 100% adherence.

I feel great!

I can tell that my strictures are minimizing because my poops are so much more round and no longer pencil thin.

I was worried about making it through Thanksgiving because I love pie! And my Southern mom doesn't exactly cook healthy. But I ate Turkey and she made fresh and well cooked veggies for me. I was fine and feel great for not being a glutton.

Larabars have been a godsend! So, has tea with honey. I love making my own yogurt and it's so easy now that I know how to do it.

I can't imagine myself not being SCD now that I feel this great. I used to wake up with constant pain in my side. Now that's gone and I'm so much happier. I think I've Remicade for little linger and that makes me happy too.

I see my gastro next week (she's the type who says diet doesn't matter) and I'm looking forward to teling her about my progress.

Hi, great results! My gastro did not believe in diet also but last time I have seen him ( after 1.5 years of diet) he said: " I have reviewed my view on the diet. I think our current medicine is very conservative and if it helps in any way we have to try it on other patience."

I tried this diet 100% free for 12 weeks. I stopped as it wasn't giving me the benefits for the effort you have to put in (full time chef).
This diet unfortunately contributed to weight loss (already skinny).
However i do eat a gluten free diet as this helps me and it's easy to follow. But everyone is unique.
Hi, yes, unfortunately diet does not help everyone. I can imagine how frustrated people are after all the effort. I have lost weight in the first month only, I guess it is very big shock for the body but now ( I follow the diet already 2 years) I have to watch myself as put on weight easily.

i follow a modified version of SCD diet for 4.5 years and it has reduced diarhea symptoms to where i have one formed stool per day without any medications. only occasionally will i have mucus and almost never see blood, and its usually because i strayed slightly from the diet.

the key for me i have found is reducing lactose and sucrose as much as possible. i do not make the homemade yogurt its too hard and i eat grains like wheat and oats and beans, but no corn and only brown rice on occasion. i have to reduce my intake of fruit to almost nothing. i never eat any meat either, bad bacteria seem to like that stuff too. i dont make anything out of nut flours.

although it has helped alot to reduce symptoms like diarhea, its not the best way to treat this disease of course, but for someone who needs all the help they an get, this is something that will help them.

the key for me i have found is reducing lactose and sucrose as much as possible. i do not make the homemade yogurt its too hard and i eat grains like wheat and oats and beans, but no corn and only brown rice on occasion. i have to reduce my intake of fruit to almost nothing. i never eat any meat either, bad bacteria seem to like that stuff too. i dont make anything out of nut flours.
Out of interest wildbill, what sort of foods do you eat?

Out of interest wildbill, what sort of foods do you eat?

cheese, wheat(only gold medal whole wheat) amde into wheat wraps/tortilla like shape. refried or cooked pinto beans, green olives, an entire bag of cooked broccoli and cauliflower, instant oats, canola oil and corn oil as sources of fat. walnuts and no other nuts. some potatoes.
on occasion 1-2 x per week, small quantities of onions, raspberries, cranberries, green, red peppers.

every great once and a while ill add something totally different like 1 day a month or something. its pretty strict but it helps me.

Hey GypsyRay,

Not sure why a GI would say diet doesn't matter with a digestive disease. I am happy to hear you have been able to avoid a resection and the heavy drugs over 15 years. I would like to note though that assuming formed stool = shrinkage in a stricture is not correct. The primary function of the large intestine is water absorption so formed larger stool is an indication that stool is remaining longer in the large intestine and the water being absorbed. That may be diet related but not stricture related, even if it is reducing inflammatory stricturing (vs scarred stricturing). So the benefit is there!

I have not tried the SCD diet and had severe stricturing of my large intestine which about 7 inches had to be removed in 2002 (10 years post diagnosis). Even at my worst, I had occasional formed stools.

I also avoided the biologics after my resection and now about half of my ileum is severely strictured (had egg drop soup for dinner). I finally agreed to trying Cimzia after my 5th obstruction in less than 3 years. It failed with me having a 6th (and perhaps my worse) obstruction. Prednisone got me under control so some of the stricture is due to inflammation (our nemesis!). I started Remicade and it did a fair job for the last year but I had two reactions so had to stop. I start Humira tomorrow and hoping that will keep me off the operating table a bit longer. I am mentally preparing for surgery.

I hope you continue to do well!

Darin

i do not make the homemade yogurt its too hard...
Hi, I make yogurt 2-3 times a week and it takes 3 minutes. I heat the milk up to 85 C in the morning while I am in the shower and leave it to cool on the table. After work when milk is 20 C I sieve the milk, take 3 table spoons of the milk and add bacteria in, then I add this to the milk and put to the yogurt maker. All I do is to check temperature during 24 hours and adjust dimmer switch.

Hi everyone, I have other dilemma. I have completed 2 years of the diet and do not know what to do next. I have realised that I am afraid to eat starch or sugar containing food. I have discovered quinoa seeds after i have started the diet so I never tried it. Last week I decided to try it. I soaked seeds for more than 12 hours, washed few times, changed water few times. Then cooked, washed again and did the iodine test, it was still black. So i ate 1 table spoon and discarded the rest.
I also had my MRI test last month and received the following letter from my doctor:"Scan shows that you have stable appearances of the inflammation in your small bowel. There is certainly no worsening of the situation." i am quite upset. I was expecting no inflammation at all especially that blood test does not show any inflammation for the last 2 years.

Hi, I make yogurt 2-3 times a week and it takes 3 minutes. I heat the milk up to 85 C in the morning while I am in the shower and leave it to cool on the table. After work when milk is 20 C I sieve the milk, take 3 table spoons of the milk and add bacteria in, then I add this to the milk and put to the yogurt maker. All I do is to check temperature during 24 hours and adjust dimmer switch.
i think you are skipping a step, you must pasteurize the milk before fermenting it, this is to make sure no pathogens will grow in your yogurt. thats why its easy for you to make it, because this is the most time consuming part. if it works for you, thats great. i have always had issues with my yogurt, i will never make it at home again, i will just buy store yogurt and let it ferment slowly in the fridge for 3 weeks past the expiration date to get rid of more lactose, i think that's the easiest way to get over fermented low lactose yogurt. it will continue to ferment in the fridge but very slowly.

i think you are skipping a step, you must pasteurize the milk before fermenting it, this is to make sure no pathogens will grow in your yogurt. thats why its easy for you to make it, because this is the most time consuming part. if it works for you, thats great. i have always had issues with my yogurt, i will never make it at home again, i will just buy store yogurt and let it ferment slowly in the fridge for 3 weeks past the expiration date to get rid of more lactose, i think that's the easiest way to get over fermented low lactose yogurt. it will continue to ferment in the fridge but very slowly.
Hi, what do you call pasteurisation then? Pasteurisation is a process of heating food what I do. More of that it is already pasteurized when you buy it the store. I do not think that my yogurt is more dangerous than yours :) To be honest I really doubt that yougurt continue fermenting in the fridge, it is getting off in my opinion. But if it works for you it's fine.
P.S. Have checked Elaine's book. Page 155 Yogurt, there is no mentioning any pasteurisation, you heat the milk and then you cool it to 20-25C. This is it.

Last edited:
Taking too many painkillers etc. The past couple of days I mostly stuck with chicken soup and apple sauce and have seen some improvement. Any tips from the experts would be welcome!
As a side note, I thankfully lead a full life which can be quite stressful at times, currently my stress level is quite high, hoping that is the only cause of all this stomach ache.
Thanks guys
Hi, for me stress is a key I even have changed my job from very stressful to less. Also I do not use any painkillers as they all upset my stomach. When I have my outbreaks it has to be combination of stress and difficult digesting food. In this case I have spasms like I want to die so I have to drink spasm releasing pills.

Glad you got some benefit from doing some of the diet, but you might be surprised at the effect of tiny amounts of grain [1]

By the way, I'm human too, and i didn't eat any cereal or grain for almost two years with no drama at all. (paleo not SCD)
Now i have modified my diet to include white rice as it is not toxic like wheat and corn

[1]Coeliacs can show symptoms from as little as 1/233,333th of a slice of bread per day, and intestinal damage from as little as 1/8,750th of a slice of bread per day
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/P...nation/f/How-Much-Gluten-Can-Make-Me-Sick.htm
Hi, I am 100% SCD, no grains, no sugar or starch....So is there a lifetime diet? :(

Hi, what do you call pasteurisation then? Pasteurisation is a process of heating food what I do. More of that it is already pasteurized when you buy it the store. I do not think that my yogurt is more dangerous than yours :) To be honest I really doubt that yougurt continue fermenting in the fridge, it is getting off in my opinion. But if it works for you it's fine.
P.S. Have checked Elaine's book. Page 155 Yogurt, there is no mentioning any pasteurisation, you heat the milk and then you cool it to 20-25C. This is it.
srry, i was a little tired when i wrote that i guess. haha.

How do you do this diet and not lose so much weight?
Hi, I am actually putting on weight very easily since the diet (my weight is 66 kg now with height of 164 cm). I lost quite a lot of weight only first month. I guess because body is not tired with fighting the inflammation and diet itself is high in calories. If you are interested I can give you an example:

During work days:
Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, cup of yogurt, tea with lemon and honey at 7 am.
2 tangerines at 10 am.
12:30 lunch: oven roasted chicken leg or veal with salad (i can only eat lettuce what used for Cesar salad, no other leaf salads), tomatoes and cucumber; tea with honey
14:30 cup of my yogurt
16:00 dry dates (only Israel or California medjool as they are not as dry and easy to digest) or banana
19:00 2 peeled pears; tea with honey and 2 slices of nut bread with butter ( they are quite small, about 1/4 of the slice of the normal bread)

During weekend I eat less as have my breakfast later. I prefer to eat fish weekends. I ate more nut bread at the first year of the diet and eat it less now. I eat more yogurt now. I make yogurt every 2-3 days.

Hi, I am actually putting on weight very easily since the diet (my weight is 66 kg now with height of 164 cm). I lost quite a lot of weight only first month. I guess because body is not tired with fighting the inflammation and diet itself is high in calories. If you are interested I can give you an example:

During work days:
Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, cup of yogurt, tea with lemon and honey at 7 am.
2 tangerines at 10 am.
12:30 lunch: oven roasted chicken leg or veal with salad (i can only eat lettuce what used for Cesar salad, no other leaf salads), tomatoes and cucumber; tea with honey
14:30 cup of my yogurt
16:00 dry dates (only Israel or California medjool as they are not as dry and easy to digest) or banana
19:00 2 peeled pears; tea with honey and 2 slices of nut bread with butter ( they are quite small, about 1/4 of the slice of the normal bread)

During weekend I eat less as have my breakfast later. I prefer to eat fish weekends. I ate more nut bread at the first year of the diet and eat it less now. I eat more yogurt now. I make yogurt every 2-3 days.
Thank you for this.

I did this diet in college and was able to get off meds for 4 months, but I ended up failing and eating bread again, subsequently getting sick again, and going back on Remicade. I also lost a ton of weight and I'm already skinny. After 10 years of getting Remicade, it's finally starting to not really have an effect on me. Honestly, there is nothing else but this. It's either prednisone, or this. And I swore last time I got off prednisone that I was never going back on. It's not a long term solution anyway. I think I have an advantage now because I've done it before and I know what to expect. I just have a problem because I work, and I'm not a great cook.

I'm looking at starting back onto a type of SCD diet. Maybe not exactly, but close. Definitely eliminating all grains. Eggs bother me, although I haven't had them in a few years.

I'm thinking, to start off.

Breakfast: Cup of Kidney Beans, Banana
Mid Lunch: Cup of Sunflower seeds/nuts
Lunch: Lean meat (sausage or fish), a fruit, 1 piece of cheese (maybe)
Afternoon: Another cup of nuts
Dinner: Meat (sausage or fish), some type of salad, stew, or soup, with fresh vegetables
After dinner: Fruit/Nuts/Beans

I think something like this would prevent me from losing a ton of weight. As long as I can keep eating throughout the day.

Hi. I eat almost the same food every day. I forgot baked apples to include in my weekend meals. But this does not bother me. I look at the food as at the energy source only. When i started diet 2 years ago i have given away all illegal food from the house i was afraid i could broke and eat something from it. But now it does not bother me anymore. I cook separately to myself and my boyfriend sometimes. I am working full time also. In the morning i just put 2 chicken legs in the oven and by the time i am ready to leave house i have lunch for 2 days. I love cooking in the oven. I am quite lazy and all you need is to put food inside. You do not have to spend much time with food and u can do something else while it's cooking. Legumes are full of starch, so i do not think it is good idea to eat them. Also please be careful with nuts. Firstly they are fatty and u can end up with the fatty liver as myself. Also i have noticed that my D. was worse with nuts. I have not seen yogurt in your diet. Please believe me that it's really really helps. It does not take so much time. Baking nut bread takes 10 minutes of preparation, making yogurt takes 3 minutes. Also bone stock really helps to heal intestines. This is what I read. I do not know if it's true but i fell that my body needs it. I always listen to my body.

I'm not doing hardcore SCD, I've just been staying away all grains/dairy for about the past 3-4 days. I'm really just changing my diet for good. I have pretty much kept the beans to a minimum also.

I've already noticed a few things. Energy level is better. I haven't even needed coffee the past couple days. My energy level has been way better. And it doesn't smell like death when I go to the bathroom anymore. 2 positives.

One con is when I go to the bathroom, it's literally pouring out of me . But, that is to be expected. This is my 2nd time doing a diet like this. Same thing happened the first go around. My body is just trying to adjust to a new way of eating.

Can you eat chicken with chicken broth that is injected into most chicken these days? If not, where can you find chicken that has no broth injected?

I've been SCD for the last 1 1/2 years. I have to say it has helped me, but right now I am in a flare.
I cook all the time. And no, chickens from Costco etc are not "safe" on SCD because they are injected with modified food starch and sugar. Why put sugars in a chicken??? It is very hard to find/afford real food in the USA.

One con is when I go to the bathroom, it's literally pouring out of me . But, that is to be expected. This is my 2nd time doing a diet like this. Same thing happened the first go around. My body is just trying to adjust to a new way of eating.
I am on a strict diet from December 2011 and had D. problems for a long time even with the diet. I started to eat ripe bananas for the last 6 months and have to say that it did change my bathroom rutine. It looks like bananas stuff your guts like a cotton so you do not run to the bathroom a lot.

Can you eat chicken with chicken broth that is injected into most chicken these days? If not, where can you find chicken that has no broth injected?
HI, I have to say I did not know that chicken is injected. It is new for me. Do not have problems eating chicken? Have to do research on UK chicken. Thaks.

Last edited:
I started to eat ripe bananas for the last 6 months and have to say that it did change my bathroom rutine. It looks like bananas stuff your guts like a cotton so you do not run to the bathroom a lot.
Well, they are the right shape. :lol:

Good day, I went to see my doctor last Monday for the routine check. He was so excited to see me :) He said that he tells everyone about me and the diet. It is nice to know that his attitude towards SCD diet has change so much since I told him about it.

I've already noticed a few things. Energy level is better. I haven't even needed coffee the past couple days. My energy level has been way better.
I cannot drink coffee at all, it really upset my intestines. I do not drink coffee probably from 1998. I also have noticed that alcohol is not good for me. My last glass of red wine was in May 2011.

New to this thing, but read most of this specific thread. My SO has Crohn's. He was diagnosed in 2004 at 6 years old with two surgeries. When he was first diagnosed, and as a young teen his father had him on this SCD diet, and he had great results. Unfortunately his father isn't around for me to ask him any questions about it, and my SO didn't prepare any of his meals, so he's kind of useless for me to ask too (other than what affects him and what doesn't). He's not on any medications at the moment, as nothing has helped. As of lately, he hasn't been doing well at all. It's starting to affect his work, and I'm interested in reintroducing him to this diet. His only concern (and mine) is he eats a LOT (We can go out for dinner, and he will be ready for another dinner as we're walking out the door).... What on earth can I always have readily available for him (in warehouse quantities) to snack on that will be filling? He has a hard time maintaining and putting on weight, with a hollow leg to boot (I am a bit jealous).

His only concern (and mine) is he eats a LOT (We can go out for dinner, and he will be ready for another dinner as we're walking out the door).... What on earth can I always have readily available for him (in warehouse quantities) to snack on that will be filling? He has a hard time maintaining and putting on weight, with a hollow leg to boot (I am a bit jealous).
Hi, I do understand your concerns as I am almost all the time hungry myself even you could not call me skinny. My weight is 66kg with 164 sm height and I am woman so definattely I eat less than a guy. I have nuts, fruits, nut bread with smoked salmon, smoked chicken, goat cheese, baked apples, yogurt. Everything I tested over this time and do not have any simptoms.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Guys,

Im starting SCD diet. Wondering about the Yoghurt which I want to make.

What kind of starter do you use

Does Helen Gotchall recommends some brands?

Is GIprohealth the only one?

Hi Guys,

Im starting SCD diet. Wondering about the Yoghurt which I want to make.

What kind of starter do you use

Does Helen Gotchall recommends some brands?

Is GIprohealth the only one?
Hi, I use Yogourmet. I am very excited for you :) Good things will happen :) But I think it will be hard for you as a vegan.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Thx Tantija,

I forgot to mention here that im looking for culture starter without milk ingredient inside, as Im going to do nut yogurt.

For the sake of trying the SCD, im eating wild cold water boiled fish at this time (macquarel and artic char, rich in omega3 oil). Farmed fish are fed with GMO corn.

Hi, I started from almond milk yogurt and I was doing it myself but after sometime I decided to try milk one and to be honest really like it. I eat it twice a day: in the morning and take to work as snack. Main point is to keep fermentation for 24 hours at the correct temperature so bacteria eats all lactose. Regarding the fish… I try to eat wild but even so…do not think it is very healthy any longer. My boyfriend does not eat macquarel he says that it has higher levels of mercury.

hi
I've been trying to get into the SCD diet over the last few weeks however some of the main foods (dairy of any sort, honey, nut flours, eggs, honey, coconut (oil, flour or milk)) just don't working for me and result in worsening of symptoms. On the other had some of the illegal foods including starchy foods like white rice and potatoes are fine in moderation. Also some gluten free breads work fine.

I've read that starving the body of starchy carbs will starve both the bad and good bacteria (not beneficial) and that trying to get a balance between these may require more grains for some people, less grains for others etc.

Should i be sticking with this diet and is there any way to get a test which indicates the state of bacteria in the gut? Or are there any blood tests i can take when i eat certain foods to indicate if they are problematic or not (this is probably more science fiction that reality!)

What are peoples thoughts?

Hello!

I started three days ago eliminating all ilegal food according to the SCD. I used to eat many grains and potatoes, wich I think was most of my energy source. I start the diet eating fish, green beans, carrots, beets, pumpkin and eggplant. Today I'm feeling waek and unfocused, but I noticed a little good change in my stools (2 BMs). I think I lost some weight, but it may be just my psychological state. In the next few days I'll introduce avocadoes, nuts, ripe bananas, baked apples, honey and butter. I'm too skinny (62kg and 176cm) to test all foods with caution, so I hope it works well. If it doesn't, I will give a full try when I take short-course of pred.

Wish you all best of luck!

Hello, i wish you all the best and some patience as you will not see the results in few days and will feel weak for the next 3 months. I suggest you to try the diet for 3 month and then decide if it suitable for you. I lost quite a lot of weight when I started the diet but now still on the diet I have to watch myself as i am gaining weight very easy. It is quite a stress for the body when you suddenly stop eating carbohydrates so give it some time to get used to it. Of course it depends on your condition but I would not rush with the nuts as they are difficult to digest. Also nuts are heavy for the liver so be careful. I strongly suggest to make your own SCD yogurt. I make my all the time. I have 3 containers and have non stop yogurt manufacturing process :) Firstly it does help the healing and secondly with such limited diet yogurt is one more product on your table. Good luck and please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Hello guys.

Bad news. Yesterday, after a week without complex carbohydrates, I had a breakdown. I went to the hospital with a sick suddenly. My heart was beating too fast and my body shaking with headache and extreme weakness throughout all the day.

The doctor said it was the sum of mental stress with physical stress. Abrupt withdrawal of carbohydrates can cause many effects on the body if you're not relaxed and stress-free.

Unfortunately, I have to abort the diet for a while. I definitely believe that it works (it was 4 months since I had seen formed stool). In a week I went to the bathroom less and made less acidic stools.

But on the other hand, I lost precious 2kg. I wonder now how long will take to get them back! :thumbdown:

Surely I will give a new chance to diet when I'm in better condition. I have a colonoscopy to do soon and can not be rickety. Sorry for the bad news. I feel horrible to share the experience because I don't want to discourage anyone.

If you are well, do the diet. surely helps. In my case, it will have to wait. :mad2:

See you soon!