• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gastric Crohns?

Hello everyone. I am wondering about the possibility of myself having gastric Crohn's disease. I know this form of Crohns is not very common, but hopefully someone can give me some input.

For several months I have suffered from diarrhea. On days I do not have diarrhea I still have frequent bowel movement, 5-7 per day. I also have daily abdominal pain, much of it is in the upper abdomen, right under rib cage. I have other pain throughout abdomen as well but not as consistent as upper abdomen. I have nausea that comes and goes every day. Has not been to the point of vomiting yet. Plus I am constantly feeling tired and just plain worn out.

Doctor did an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy last week. The paperwork that was sent home with me stated " diffuse moderate inflammation characterized by erythema, friability, and granularity was found in stomach." Can anyone tell me what this means? When I google it, it points be in the direction of IBD's, but as this is the stomach would it be gastric Crohns? Colonoscopy just should "the mucosa vascular pattern of the entire colon was diffusely increased." Both stomach and colon were biopsied. Still waiting results. If it is Crohns, how does a biopsy tell this?

Scipio

Doctor did an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy last week. The paperwork that was sent home with me stated " diffuse moderate inflammation characterized by erythema, friability, and granularity was found in stomach." Can anyone tell me what this means? When I google it, it points be in the direction of IBD's, but as this is the stomach would it be gastric Crohns? Colonoscopy just should "the mucosa vascular pattern of the entire colon was diffusely increased." Both stomach and colon were biopsied. Still waiting results. If it is Crohns, how does a biopsy tell this?
Erythema means that the stomach tissue looked redder than normal. Friability means that the tissue crumbled easily - that bits and pieces of it would easily fall off if it was touched or poked by a probe or something. Granularity means simply that the tissue looked granular - possibly due to granulomas, but that would need to be confirmed by tissue findings. Biopsy can definitively diagnose Crohn's if granulomas are confirmed in the tissue sample.

Hello Beept,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in the stomach around a year and a half ago, and it's actually more active than Crohn's in the ileum. I actually thought I was the only one here with Gastric Crohn's, but we shouldn't feel alone anymore!

Regarding the diagnosis, over here we get the result of an endoscopy right after the procedure is over. My doctor said that what he saw in the stomach is the typical ulcers of Crohn's. I was put back on Pentasa and Prednisone, which helped calm down things a bit, but the most important thing is to figure out a good combo for your PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) and take something for the heartburn -if you get any.

The report of the biopsy was similar to that of the biopsy during my first colonoscopy, but my doctor said that he didn't need to wait until he sees the results.

There are a couple of people with gastroduodenal crohn’s. Mine travels around in my small intestine (duodenum and jejunum mostly).

Tagging

Sophabulous
littlemissh

I’ve been taking PPIs since they first diagnosed me with crohn’s in my duodenum and they’ve been a lifesaver. They don’t help with the inflammation lower down in my small intestine, but I take other medications for that.