• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa Suppositories

Hi,

I'm new here and just wanted to ask a forum about Pentasa suppositories and suppositories in general as I've just been diagnosed with Crohn's. I've read about a lot of side effects to do with these suppositories, not sure if I've been looking for bad things on the internet but it's got me quite worried. Also, how long should I keep my suppository in before going to the toilet? As I have the urge to go when I've just took my first one haha.

Appreciate any help offered!

Hi,

I'm new here and just wanted to ask a forum about Pentasa suppositories and suppositories in general as I've just been diagnosed with Crohn's. I've read about a lot of side effects to do with these suppositories, not sure if I've been looking for bad things on the internet but it's got me quite worried. Also, how long should I keep my suppository in before going to the toilet? As I have the urge to go when I've just took my first one haha.

Appreciate any help offered!
I used the Pentasa suppositories. It's normal for it to trigger the urge to go. If you are able, try to ignore it - not easy, I know. Or put it in about 10 minutes after you have a bowel movement.

TMI time: the main side effect I had was oily discharge when I passed gas, which went through to the outside of my clothing and was just generally embarrassing. Panty liners worked fine for that, if you don't mind using them. The trick is putting it in the right place on your undies. If it gets on your pants, put Dawn dish soap, the blue one, directly on the spot and let it sit overnight.

Good luck with your treatment and don't hesitate to ask me anything.

I used the Pentasa suppositories. It's normal for it to trigger the urge to go. If you are able, try to ignore it - not easy, I know. Or put it in about 10 minutes after you have a bowel movement.

TMI time: the main side effect I had was oily discharge when I passed gas, which went through to the outside of my clothing and was just generally embarrassing. Panty liners worked fine for that, if you don't mind using them. The trick is putting it in the right place on your undies. If it gets on your pants, put Dawn dish soap, the blue one, directly on the spot and let it sit overnight.

Good luck with your treatment and don't hesitate to ask me anything.
Hello!

Thanks for the reply. I’ve just taken my third one tonight, I’ve found it easier to take them before bed and lie down for a while which stops the urge to go for me a little bit which is good. As for the discharge, I can’t say I’ve had it yet but it definetely feels like when you need to pass gas a bit more might pass also haha. Have you seen any benefits from this medication yourself? (Less times going to the toilet, less cramps?). I seem to be constipated at the minute but I’m assuming my body is just getting used to the treatment.

scottsma

They work for me,or they did when I've used them.I haven't heard any negative reports about them,except the one M.G. mentioned,but I haven't looked for any.They cleared my bloody discharge within a week.One thing I found beneficial was to use Vaseline before insertion.It's much easier and goes further in.I used two daily,and tried to do so when I didn't have to move about much.My IBD nurse told me to keep it in place for at least an hour or longer if possible