• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Potential date has C-Diff

nogutsnoglory

I have been chatting with this guy for a while and we seemed to hit it off, he is sweet and didn't seem bothered by my admission of crohn's. But of course my life can never be too simple! So, when I told him about my crohn's, he told me he has had recurrent C-diff.

I know C-Diff is highly contagious and I'm immunocompromised so I'm really scared to meet him. Even if I met him after he is successfully treated with the second line of antibiotics, how do I know it won't return?

Am I putting myself in too much danger if we kiss, hold hands, hug?

I wanna give this a chance but not sure what my timeline should be.

C Diff is curable with a fecal transplant, as disgusting as that sounds. So worse comes to worse, I wouldn't worry too much.

rygon

C Diff is curable with a fecal transplant, as disgusting as that sounds. So worse comes to worse, I wouldn't worry too much.
If you are going to say a bold statement like that, that could potentially alter somebody's life/health could you please back it up with a credible source.

I'm not disputing you at all, but it would make me feel better that I could see evidence to your post, which could have serious implications if not true

This can be confirmed by a google search or a pubmed search. I did not realize I posting posting to the gay forum though so I realize now that this would involve more risk in terms of c diff. But it is curable with a fecal transplant.

nogutsnoglory

Dragon, yes he was treated with Flagyl but now has a recurrent infection. I am being supportive in offering my advice on gastroenterologists to him but not sure how contagious he may be just by interacting or some touching.

I had mentioned fecal transplants as a possible option if he continues to get infected and antibiotics don't work. As discussed, it's not a cure by any means but the clinical trials are very promising. Still, it's a somewhat extensive process in terms of testing the donor and implanting it in the sick person and there are potential complications so I would think its a last resort.

Steve, curious to know why you think a fecal transplant for a gay person would be riskier? I was contemplating that but can't really think of why it would be different so long as proper protocol was being followed.

NGNG, I would think that holding hands, hugging and finding ways to have that romance until he is cured is feasible. I would encourage the use of hand washing and hand sanatzer use to help you both to stay healthy!

I would assume your risk is great to contract it WHEN the infection is active, but I think if you take the proper precautions (my own opinion) I can not see why you can not enjoy each other's company!!!

Also, I don't know where your comfort level is with your GI, but you could also mention this to him/her and see what they suggest you should do.

You deserve to be loved and happy and I completly understand your worry as I would have it myself, but I would also not want you to miss out on something special and someone special and vs versa.

This disease is so hard and I am new at it, but I think you should be happy as this disease robs us at times of happiness and feeling special sometimes for duration of month's/weeks/days/years, when we are really sick.

I obviously don't want you to contract it, I want you Healthy and happy!!!!

However, I would not want you to live in a bubble as I think it is easy to do with this disease....

I fight to not stay in the bubble everyday... I hope this makes sense~

Keep us posted if you wish and I will be thinking of you and wishing you the best outcome!!

HappyNew Year!!!

Michele❤

nogutsnoglory

Thank you so much Michele! It's true, we can easily fall into a self defeating "I'm sick and can't do anything" bubble and into the medical maze and we need to fight for the most normal life we can possibly live.

I would certainly be on top of hand washing. I read that hand sanitizers aren't effective against c-diff but I'd use it anyway as an extra precaution. I guess the real hope is that he is really on top of his hygiene so as not to spread germs. It's a risk but I suppose so is any public bathroom where germ spores are. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking my GI because I'm not out to my doctors but I also definitely won't meet him till he is on antibiotics atleast a few days and possibly not even before he gets retested after antibiotics and is cured.

If you haven't met him yet, maybe you're worrying a bit prematurely? I don't know about the risks involved with C-diff, can it be passed on even without touching? If it's only possible to pass it on by touch, then surely you could meet him and see whether you really do like him first? Or is it so easily spread that you'd still be at risk just by being around him (though, as you said, surely in that case you're just as vulnerable simply by going into public places)?

nogutsnoglory

Well even on a non-starter first date you do shake hands. It is highly contagious and in hospitals they quarantine you because many people catch C-Diff in medical settings. One time they thought I might have it and the nurse came in with a suit on.

Well even on a non-starter first date you do shake hands. It is highly contagious and in hospitals they quarantine you because many people catch C-Diff in medical settings. One time they thought I might have it and the nurse came in with a suit on.
Yes, we have to wear gowns and gloves just to enter the room of a patient who is suspected of having C-Diff. Prior to leaving, we have to wash our hands with a special anti-bacterial red soap which is effective in killing C-Diff. You can catch it simply by touching a surface touched by someone who has it.

Mccindy is correct, I remember doing that, I have had patients that are positive with it come in the offices now and we were told to take the "universal precautions" ie hand washing and we the doc and I did shake there hand and were ok. That being said, it is a very contagious bug, and we would not want you to have to fight against "one more thing".

I know you said you did not come out to your GI yet, but you can have the conversation with him/her on their thoughts if say a close friend/family member or someone you are interested in has an active infection. You do not have to go beyond your comfort level but you can still have the discussion.

May be a safe route to go, or if you can wait until he is cleared of infection and Skype each other if you are that concerned I would suggest that route.

Go with what you are comfortable with my friend.

mccindy I have not worked in hospital setting in years, but gosh I sure do remember that when I worked in an intensive care unit. And it was the protocol, so forgive me as I have not been working in house in a while, I am ambulatory care now and love it!

All and all we just want what is best for you my friend😉

Michele

Dragon, yes he was treated with Flagyl but now has a recurrent infection. I am being supportive in offering my advice on gastroenterologists to him but not sure how contagious he may be just by interacting or some touching.

I had mentioned fecal transplants as a possible option if he continues to get infected and antibiotics don't work. As discussed, it's not a cure by any means but the clinical trials are very promising. Still, it's a somewhat extensive process in terms of testing the donor and implanting it in the sick person and there are potential complications so I would think its a last resort.

Steve, curious to know why you think a fecal transplant for a gay person would be riskier? I was contemplating that but can't really think of why it would be different so long as proper protocol was being followed.
I don't think the fecal transplant would be riskier at all, its the same risk but its reduced by proper screening. I think perhaps a gay intimate relationship might pose more risk in terms of c diff transmission.

Noguts, when I was in the hospital with c.diff my GI had another patient who got it from using the same restroom as someone with it. Please be very careful but I think a handshake would be OK, just don't eat after each other. My husband has kissed me when I have it but he never got infection, but then again, he is not immunosuppressed.

If things progress romantically I think that practicing safe sex should do the trick to prevent infection, as long as you are very, very careful, washing your hands immediately after, etc.

I feel so sorry for your guy; it is horrible to have it recurring, as I have experienced this too. He really needs Vancomycin in the liquid form; it goes directly into the bowel and gets rid of it right away. Many doctors don't want to prescribe it because it is expensive but it is the only thing that works for me. Also, he can take saccharomyces boulardii either one hour before or two hours after each antibiotic dose. My GI says it clings to the c.diff bacteria and carries it out of the body.

I know it's hard to make suggestions for his treatment but I hope he finds a solution soon.

Michele, I also went away from in-house care when I moved to a supervisory position and I will say there are days when I really miss it. I loved working intensive care!