• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gastritis, pain, diarrhoea, fatigue...

Hi everyone,

I'm feeling super lightheaded the past two days, really tired at the moment (despite enough sleep; I usually feel so tired when being in a flare of Crohn's and Arthritis or at least one of the two and I did not feel tired for the past few months) and have diarrhoea and loose stools (approximately between 5 and 8 times, usually once daily since switching medication in September, apart from a bad flare-up in October).
I still haven't received the histology results from my gastroscopy but I was diagnosed with antral gastritis two weeks ago, started Esomeprazole 4 weeks ago (suggestion of my GP), little to no improvement so far, regarding nausea, stomach pain after eating, still no appetite, feels like having eaten stones, no burning sensation from acid, just feels super sore.

The diarrhoea or loose stools look quite a bit different than it normally does, not nicely digested, I still see exactly what I have eaten, and - something that I haven't experienced in such an extreme sense, even in a short flare-up - intensive, sharp smelling, floating stools, mostly yellow, I would say, sometimes green.
It seems as if I can't tolerate any fat at all - but I would need it so much, as I lost some weight due to the gastritis, I guess - I have even more diarrhoea when I add some vegetable oil (mostly linseed oil or virgin coconut oil).

Do you think this all can be related to the gastritis? I also feel some light burning pain in my right lower quadrant area, but maybe it's just from the diarrhoea itself, that gives the terminal ileum a rough feeling as well?
I don't think that it is a virus, as I started feeling worse very gradually.

Any ideas?

fuzzy butterfly

Hi Charlotte. Sorry you having issues at the mo.. i would suggest getting back on to your doc. It sounds as if you maybe having a flare or the gastritis isnt clearing up and may need to re assessed.
Best wishes 💕💕

Hi everyone,

I'm feeling super lightheaded the past two days, really tired at the moment (despite enough sleep; I usually feel so tired when being in a flare of Crohn's and Arthritis or at least one of the two and I did not feel tired for the past few months) and have diarrhoea and loose stools (approximately between 5 and 8 times, usually once daily since switching medication in September, apart from a bad flare-up in October).
I still haven't received the histology results from my gastroscopy but I was diagnosed with antral gastritis two weeks ago, started Esomeprazole 4 weeks ago (suggestion of my GP), little to no improvement so far, regarding nausea, stomach pain after eating, still no appetite, feels like having eaten stones, no burning sensation from acid, just feels super sore.

The diarrhoea or loose stools look quite a bit different than it normally does, not nicely digested, I still see exactly what I have eaten, and - something that I haven't experienced in such an extreme sense, even in a short flare-up - intensive, sharp smelling, floating stools, mostly yellow, I would say, sometimes green.
It seems as if I can't tolerate any fat at all - but I would need it so much, as I lost some weight due to the gastritis, I guess - I have even more diarrhoea when I add some vegetable oil (mostly linseed oil or virgin coconut oil).

Do you think this all can be related to the gastritis? I also feel some light burning pain in my right lower quadrant area, but maybe it's just from the diarrhoea itself, that gives the terminal ileum a rough feeling as well?
I don't think that it is a virus, as I started feeling worse very gradually.

Any ideas?
Try gasx,,maybe you have excess gas?

Catherine

I have chronic gastritis and IBS. Wheat/gluten gives me reflux. I also have a problem with fat. I do better on the FODMAP diet.

Thank you so much for your support and advice!
I try to sum up what has happened in the past few days: I felt super nauseous, had no appetite at all, I didn't really have these symptoms before and I have had gastritis before. Well, as my doctors were on holidays, I tried everything that I had at home, also homeopathic medication that was prescribed to me after a long homeopathic consultation, so it should fit my personal symptoms. In addition I tried Fangocur Bentomed again, an Austrian mineral rock powder, containing remarkable amounts of sulfur, helping to fight inflammation (similar to zeolite, but it does not absorb so much fluid, the main agent is the anti-inflammatory sulfur that it contains). I also took Gaviscon after each meal to avoid stomach burning after meals.
I took some domperidone from time to time as well which improves stomach motility.
In addition, I had rice or millet porridge that I pureed so that it was a thick, creamy consistency that nicely coated my stomach in the morning and before each meal and a few hours before I went to bed. I was quite desperate and had horrible pain in my stomach from food that just did not move, it felt like as if I had eaten stones, literally.
So after three days on that regimen, my nausea was nearly gone and the best, my appetite was back!!! And still is back!
My stomach still is painful, but not that severe. And now I'm in a flare-up of my Crohn's so I don't want any tests to be performed now that could be done later when I feel better. My terminal ileum is painful again as well as - new to me - my left side, probably the colon on that side, burning and aching, can barely bear food being passed through that area, especially vegetables (cooked of course).

So, it stays mysterious, and reduced motility of the stomach was proven by a very small German study when there is inflammation in Crohn's, so it would not make much sense for me to test for gastroparesis now. Especially if the small intestine is inflamed, the motility seems to decrease, but, as the study showed, for most of the patients does increase to a healthy level, when inflammation is down.

I keep you updated when I am tested for gastroparesis.