• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trigger foods??

So how does everyone find their 'trigger foods'? For me, at the moment, it's all foods lol. I"m just interested in case some day my flare actually is under control.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
For me I find them by trial and error but usually the way to go is bland foods. Such as:
Boiled or baked chicken breast or white fish
Steamed veggies or fruits (usually raw sets people off and the skin of say apples isn't good either)
Rice
Nothing spicy or greasy

Least this is what I was told 20 years ago. Check out this link, it even has recipes for people with IBD.
http://www.livingwithcrohnsdisease.com/livingwithcrohnsdisease/life_with_crohns/diet_nutrition.html
But generally if it makes you vomit, gives your diarrhea, constipation, or pain, maybe you shouldn't eat it.

Mine is Onions, one little thing and my body goes into high gear and pain. The other one is dairy as soon as it is in the system wants it out, anyway it can.

Other then those two can almost eat anything

Red meat sets me off, ground beef more than steak. Too much sugar is also a bad thing. I would also avoid grains while in a flare just as a precaution. Also anything fibrous.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, stylinmama, and welcome to the forum!

I've been doing this by trial and error, too, and listening to the general principles, which have mostly turned out to be true for me, too (corn, for example). It also varies according to how bad things are, of course -- some days I can have a few cooked vegetables and other days I cannot.

ps: Someone I went to school with owns stores called Stylin' Mama!

COWS MILK !!! moooooooooooooooooooooooooooo xx and too much bread.... I find generally everything in modertaion :0) xx

Anything spicy is guaranteed to make my tummy hurt :( which is a shame because I love spicy food! Can't eat salad either. I can eat small amounts of beef, dairy, grains, cooked veg (except brocolli and parsnips) and soft cooked potatoes (not fries!). But I am still finding things out.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I can't eat onions, apple cider, popcorn, or beans.
Lots of things bother me when I am flaring, but I can eat most everything when I am feeling well.
Those 4 things I stay away from no matter what.
I also limit peels and seeds, especially apples and cucumbers with those thicker skins. Nuts don't seem to bother me though.
It's just trial and error I guess.

Peppers hot or sweet, spicy foods , cooked onions but can eat a small amount raw, most alcohol bothers me but i can have a few kinds of beers only one, cheese, and all greasy foods .

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
My triggers include fried foods, spicy foods, garlic, most chocolates, seeds & nuts, cow's dairy (can do goat & sheep dairy though), most raw fruit & veg (especially those with skin or seeds). I'm in a flare now and pretty much every food disagrees with me right now. I'm doing really bland stuff like plain white rice and crackers and baked chicken.

I'm in a flare now too and today I found out that crackers are not the best, but about 30 min ago I have boiled eggs and haven't had to run to the potty yet :) Here's hoping I don't have to :)

Does anyone keep a food diary? I"m wondering if that may be helpful.

I go by a trial-and-OMFG NO!!! process. ;) Initially, I learn the hard way if something is a trigger food, and I try to keep a food journal (I have a private online journal account that I use for this).

My trigger foods tend to change. Some days I can eat salad and veggies, other days salad and veggies will literally have me on my knees in pain. It's not fun!

My constant trigger foods are:

Meat (any meat...chicken, beef, pork...)
Dairy (milk is a no-no, and so are just about 99.9% cheeses)
Sugarless ANYTHING (sugar-free gum, sugar-free pudding, sugar free...well, anything! The sorbitol/xylitol used to sweeten the products have actually landed me in the ER!)
Anything extremely cold (beverages, smoothies, etc).
Nuts

My guaranteed safe foods are:

baked potatoes
dry cereal (sometimes only a handful every couple of hours)
Gatorade
tea
soymilk

My food diary helps me out, but again...my "safe" foods tend to fluctuate. There are also times where my stomach just completely shuts down and will not tolerate ANYTHING solid. I usually have to sustain off of MASSIVE amounts of Gatorade and the blandest mashed potatoes possible.

I'm in a flare now too and today I found out that crackers are not the best, but about 30 min ago I have boiled eggs and haven't had to run to the potty yet :) Here's hoping I don't have to :)

Does anyone keep a food diary? I"m wondering if that may be helpful.
Boiled eggs are like my "safety food". I can eat those anytime be it in a bad flare or not. They've never steered me wrong. I do keep a food journal as well and it has come in handy :D

There is a new program for the iphone and itouch called "CD Diary". This program is good for someone trying to find out their trigger foods. This program allows you track you oral in take for everyday. It also keeps tracks of your symptoms and bowel moments. This was it allows you to go back to previous days and set a trend. I use it and it works well. I am sure there are some other programs as well, that could help us all.

Wow! I wish everyone was the same lol. I'm not sure yet if I can handle milk....It used to make me feel better, now I'm not so sure.

I wonder if the iphone ap would work on my ipod touch? We can't get iphones where I live (the boonies lol). I'm going to look it up though and see if I can get it for the touch.

And ya...boiled eggs I 'discovered' a long time ago....but didn't realize then that I could handle them well...just that my body was craving them so bad that's all i ate for about 3 or 4 days, and I didn't know what 'trigger foods' were then, but now that I know, I'll be sure to at least try and keep track of the food i'm eating.

So while on pred I can eat just about anything (as long as it happens to be one of the times that the pred actually works). So should I start keeping track of what I eat now even though I know some of the stuff I'm eating I would NEVER be able to handle w/o the pred?

Thanks! I dowloaded the app (free yaya!) and it didn't work.....turns out I need to update my ipod to version 10 million lol......it only has a little over an hour left to finish hahaha.

Let me know what you think, I like it keeps it simple and lets you keep track without needing to remember all the information yourself. APPLE - Have to love how they have all the control, BASTARDS, LMPO

I finally got it on my ipod. I'm pretty excited! I input all my food for today and all that stuff....now I can hardly wait to to put in tomorrows info to see the chart haha.

Well i was only diagnosed a few days ago but right now im finding bread isnt good (which is a shame cos i love bread) im currently sat in quite a bit of discomfort after eating some tiger loaf with mozerella (grilled) and i can actually see my tummy moving where i assume its trying to work its way through

any spicy food and anything with seeds in them as i cannot digest them and they store in pockets which sets another flare up

I am on day 1 of elemental, so am not eating a thing, however my evil foods:

Cheese (even dairy free cheese is too rich for me)
Milk and cream
Peanut Butter (peanuts fine though...)?
Lentils... (I love them, but add them to stuff and I am poooooorly)
Mayonaise
Things in oil, e.g. too many olives and other antipasto type things
Too many crisps!
Reheated potato (my dietitian explained that this is due to the resistant starch)
That stupid schwartz cajun spice...
Raw onion
coffee :-(
chocolate :-(

However, during a bad period many things will get me especially things that are rich. However during a good period I may be able to eat a few chocolate buttons and a few olives :-D

I am not finding that any food triggers me, either my symptoms get worse, or they don't.

Update. While no triggers now all solid foods hurt.

Last edited:
Coffee. Not food I know, but is my only known trigger so far.
Ohhh me too! and I love my coffee!!! or used too.

also
salad-or anything leafy
fibrous fruits like apples...bananas are good
red meat
most veggies cooked or uncooked

pretty much if it is good for me I have to spit it out.