• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Muscle stiffness muscle pain with pred & entocort?

Has anyone else experienced muscle cramps all over the body on prednisone and entocort? I have been on entocort a week and pred for about 8 weeks and sometimes I have muscle cramps in the stomach area and today one leg felt like dead weight and the other my achilles was aching and stiff. I have had some weird pains like these on and off almost everyday since about 4 weeks on prednisone. Sometimes my muscles just seem to knot up if I stay in one position too long. I had swelling in my joints before but this is different.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
What's the dose for the Pred (I'm assuming 9mg for Entocort)? Are you taking anything else besides steroids?

Prednisone is one of the most nasty drugs out there when it comes to side effects. It helps so much with inflammation in the gut and with joint pain but the things it does to you while you're on it sucks A LOT. Simple swelling could be the answer (it does make you retain water especially on higher doses and when taken long term, 2 months is about mid to long term I'd say).

It's something I'd mention to the GI so they can have a better understanding if its really helping or not.

I had all sorts of crazy side effects while on it and I know general body aching was one of them which I was told was from the swelling (retaining water).

I am on 20 mg pred and 9 mg entocort. I try to run for exercise and for my mental state as often as I can, but these leg pains were wierd.

I am also on pentasa 8 capsules daily. I see my dr. next week. I can't stand this pred much longer. I have so many side effects, weight gain, the shakes, acne, stiffness and muscle spasms, short temper, and the list goes on.

When I was on 40mg/day of Prednisone, I used to wake up in the middle of the night with such severe leg pain that it would bring me to tears. The pain attacked all the joints (knees, ankles, hips) so much so that I could hardly stand. I forced myself to get out of bed and walk. I would also get muscle cramps in my feet and calves, usually while driving- that's never a good combination! Oh the joys of Prednisone. Because I was on a fairly high dose, it did take me a couple months to completely wean off so the night time pains lasted about 6 weeks. I should mention that the pains didn't start as soon as I began the 40mg dose. It took about 3 months to build up in my system. And the pains subsided once I was down to about 20mg. Also, the pains didn't happen every night - usually about once or twice every two weeks.
Anyway, talk to your GI about this as he will most likely need to adjust the dose.
Good luck!

I am on 30 mg of Prednisone, down from 40 a three weeks ago, and also have pains and aches in my legs. I think they feel like "growing pains" I had when I was a kid (and now I'm 32...)!
Relieved to hear that I'm not imagining this and that the 'explanation' is probably darn Prednisone :)

I've been on Prednisone for three weeks now and woke up in the middle of the night unable to fall back asleep from the muscle pains in my legs. I ran a hot bath and soaked in eucalyptus Epsom salts and this helped ease the achiness so much.

Has anyone else experienced muscle cramps all over the body on prednisone and entocort? I have been on entocort a week and pred for about 8 weeks and sometimes I have muscle cramps in the stomach area and today one leg felt like dead weight and the other my achilles was aching and stiff. I have had some weird pains like these on and off almost everyday since about 4 weeks on prednisone. Sometimes my muscles just seem to knot up if I stay in one position too long. I had swelling in my joints before but this is different.
Yes Vonnie,
I experience severe nocturnal lower leg cramps when taking either prednisone or entocort. The cramping only affects the shins and calves, nothing abdominal fortunately. I mentioned this to my Gasto-Enterologist yesterday and was subsequently Rx Quinine 1x 300mg Tabs at night[/B] to counteract the problem which disturbs sleep patterns. Apart from a persistent productive cough and some changes in mood, that is about the most troublesome of the problems that I have found with the use of corticosteroids.

BTW, Quinine , I am advised takes around a month to have any real effect. Actually, I found that it kicked in after a couple of days, at last some decent nights sleep!

Currently taking Entocort 9 mgs. / 6 mgs. -alternating daily, As an after thought, keep a close watch on your blood pressure. Initially, Entocort caused a nasty bout of hypertension which is now controlled with Notem and Narvsc.
Keep well and positive,
Kind Regards
merv
A devotee of Crohn's for the past 18 years and counting!

Last edited:
I am also on pentasa 8 capsules daily. I see my dr. next week. I can't stand this pred much longer. I have so many side effects, weight gain, the shakes, acne, stiffness and muscle spasms, short temper, and the list goes on.
Hello Vonnie, sorry for write now, but i can ask you one thing, because i have had entocort for three months and i have mucscle spasms on mi index fingers and shakes. do you feel better now? thank saludos

I cant believe there is one set of side affects I have not had yet!

Down to 30 mgs of Prednisone, and no longer on Entocort.

I do have the symptoms because of my low VitD though.

Lauren

I'll get Charlie horses in my calves and feet but it is independent of being on steroids. Usually it is when I flare so I attribute it to a vitamin deficiency(Magnesium, Calcium or Potassium)

I'll get Charlie horses in my calves and feet but it is independent of being on steroids. Usually it is when I flare so I attribute it to a vitamin deficiency(Magnesium, Calcium or Potassium)
"get charlie horses" is a good way to explain, i feel like you, but my magnesium, calcium and potasium levels are ok...

Well I can say waking up at 3 am and not being to sleep, my house is clean on the other hand I feel like I am on crack- or what I suppose that feels like !?!

No leg pain though.

Lauren

I remember feeling really cracked out on prednisone and like I needed to run over people on the freeway. Then once I started tapering down, I fell into a depression that was pretty bad. Little did I know that was a common side effect

me too, its was a hell, i was at job and i cant to be stopped sitted it was as if I had a spring in the ass. it's been almost two months since I took the last dose of Entocort and still am not quite right

oohhh fuck, bad luck....i hope thath you will came again, and with out salud problems, and then you can drink cruzcampo, red wine.... to eat pescaito frito, tortas de camaron.... jejejej un abrazo muy fuerte desde España campeón, vuelve pronto!