• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileostomy and smoothies

I've decided to invest in a Nutri Ninja to get more fruit and veg in my diet, but I'm a bit confused how safe it is.
I've read on another forum someone ended up in hospital with the mother of all blockages from consuming smoothies, although they seem to have gone a bit overboard with them.
There seems to be very mixed opinions out there, some seem to feel there's no problem, and others saying you'll surely die if you so much as look at a smoothie.
As far as I was aware, as long as the smoothie was smooth enough, there wasn't a problem, anyone else have an ileostomy and drink fruit/veg smoothies ?.

Surely it can't be any different from eating smooth peanut butter, heck I had a red lentil pate last week with no issues, I would have though lentils would be very high in fibre.

I have a Nutribullet and go through wee phases of 'healthily eating', where I'll make a green smoothie for my breakfast. No issues as far as blockage is concerned but I do notice it will go through me quite quickly, so my bag will get quite full in a short space of time so it is useful to be not too far from a toilet, and it looks exactly the same when you empty the bag as it does when you drink it, I've had some pretty funky coloured output.

Smoothies go right through me as well. If it has bananas in it, my output is real foamy and full of bubbles. BUT, no blockages. The only issue with something like that would be if you have a lot of pulp. I would imagine a lot of orange pulp or maybe even pineapple pulp could cause a problem if you are already prone to getting obstructed with those.

I have something like two smoothies a day. My daughter makes them and they most often contain berries (from frozen), bananas and soy milk. Never an issue for me, but I don't have issues with solid foods either.

If your are just starting out, ease into it to see how it goes down, and more importantly, how it goes through 😂

Sent from my SM-N910U

Yeah I plan to start off simple, I got a few free smoothie recipe books from Amazon so I'll be stocking up on fruit veg, nuts and coconut water on Friday.

Pleased to report the smoothies have been a success, I started off with one that didn't have much fibre, and one today which was high in fibre with no Ill effects apart from a rather startling green coloured output.

I had a temp ileo in 1988 and never had issues with blockage or dehydration, though I drink water constantly which might be why. Now that I'm facing the prospect of a new ileo, I am worried about what I'm reading. I would just avoid lots of seeds or fruits with heavy peels.

My first two ileostomies blocked so easily, I couldn't eat any seeds or fruit skins or beans, peas, nuts, anything like that. But the stoma I have now has never blocked, I even ate nut cutlet with no issues. I'm enjoying fruits and vegetables again.

I had one of my own concoction today, only drank half as I started to worry it would give me a blockage as I'd used Spring Greens, which are very fibrous, and almonds, I could still see tiny bits of the almond skin in the smoothie.
But amazingly, it all passed through without a hitch :D