• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira Pen Injections

Hi I am new here. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when I was 14, 21 now. I was doing Remicade infusions for 5 years. Now they have me giving myself Humira Injections with the pen. I am not the least bit scared of needles, but I am having an extremely hard time giving myself the injection. I want to know if anyone has had the same problems as I am and have switched to the syringe instead so you have more control over the needle. Might be a crazy question, but hopefully I'm not the only one having these difficulties.

I use the pen but I know there are some here who have switched over. There is a section in here called Treatment and under that there is a subsection called Humira. You might also post your question there.

My son switched from the pen to the syringe. It still hurts (burns), but not as badly. The advantage to the syringe is that you have control over the amount of fluid going in at any given time. I stick it in and my son works the plunger - very slowly. With the pen, it squirts the medicine into you all at once. The syringe is not perfect, but is better for him.

The pain doesn't bother me that much most of the time, so that's why I am so confused as to why I'm having a hard time with the pen. I think because of the lack of control I have with it, like you said. I just wanted to know if it was a good move to switch to the syringe. Thanks for your help!

When I first made the switch from Remicade to Humira I had a really hard time giving myself the shots--I would start thinking about it days leading up to it and get stressed out! After a couple months I got much more used to administering the pen and now it's no problem whatsoever so it may be a time thing? Just an idea. Also, you may already do this, but you could consider prepping the area using an icepack to numb it before you do your injection. Hang in there!

When I first made the switch from Remicade to Humira I had a really hard time giving myself the shots--I would start thinking about it days leading up to it and get stressed out! After a couple months I got much more used to administering the pen and now it's no problem whatsoever so it may be a time thing? Just an idea. Also, you may already do this, but you could consider prepping the area using an icepack to numb it before you do your injection. Hang in there!
I was afraid at first because I have poor coordination but it has been fine.

I much prefer the syringe. I hate the "click" of the pen and the lack of control like you. I also had a misfire once and that really didn't help! And like Ron I'm not very coordinated and find the pen hard to administer.
I find the syringe much much easier, give it a try, you can always go back can't you?

I much prefer the syringe. I hate the "click" of the pen and the lack of control like you. I also had a misfire once and that really didn't help! And like Ron I'm not very coordinated and find the pen hard to administer.
I find the syringe much much easier, give it a try, you can always go back can't you?
I get myself so worked up before I give myself the injection I start thinking about it days in advance. I just have a hard time pressing down to give myself the injection, and it takes me 45 minutes to get it done. And by that time the click scares me and I don't hold it down for the full 10 seconds, so I know I'm not getting all the medicine. I just feel like if I saw the needle and controlled it a little more I could do better. Thanks for the help!

Hopefully once the newly formulated Pens come onto the market then the pain from the citrate preservative will be reduced. Fingers crossed.