• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sticky Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

I am enjoying reading these posts. I am 'back off the wagon', as those who are into addiction issues would say.

My cannabis treatments are assisting my recovery following a recent medical emergency episode that included: dehydration, heat exhaustion, and stricture/blockage, leading to five nights in hospital, recovery from predinisone withdrawal, and then the stress of returning to work not a very popular guy missing two weeks of work with no notice.

Here is something to consider - the top 7 chemicals people most frequently die from...kept it to single chemicals, so effective synergistic combos like ethanol and Valium have been excluded:

7. Old school tricyclic antidepressants
As far as prescription drugs go, these suckers are pretty darn toxic. They are associated with a higher rate of death in the event of an overdose relative to the newer nontricyclic antidepressants (e.g. SSRIs such as Zoloft or Prozac) [1]. In this regard, of all the tricyclics, desipramine (aka Norpramin or Pertofrane) is apparently the most 'effective'.

6. General anaesthetics
Ever been put under? They tell you to start counting down from 10, and you're out cold at 8. If your anesthesiologist is actually a highly deceptive, remarkably agile, incredibly intelligent, and yet stunningly incompetent grizzly bear, then it's likely that your heart stops around 2. Acquisition may be a challenge, but otherwise it's probably just a matter of making sure you push enough to shut your brain (and heart, and lungs) down permanently.

5. Any narcotic solvent (diethyl ether, chloroform, benzene, etc.)
The American government just had to go and make it confusing, but from a pharmacological standpoint, a narcotic is essentially any substance that in appreciably large quantities produces euphoria, stupor, and/or coma. Up the dose a little bit more, and add death to that list.

4. gamma-Hydroxybutyrate (GHB)
A big ol' bolus will cause rapid unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and heart failure. Vomiting and convulsions may occur but generally only while you're unconscious, so no biggie. In short, a big mess for whoever cleans you up but a built-in fail-safe (aspirating on your vomit) as far as ending things goes.

3. Opioids (heroin, morphine, fentanyl, etc.)
The primary purpose of these drugs are to numb pain, which is a good place to start when you're looking to meet the reaper.

2. Barbiturates
The number one choice of doctors who end their lives [2].

1. Carbon monoxide
Puts you to sleep before it knocks you off, is readily available (see: gas ovens, running vehicles in the garage, etc.), and you don't even have to swallow or inject something. There's a reason they make detectors for it.

[1] Kapur S, Mieczkowski T, Mann JJ. (1992). Antidepressant medications and the relative risk of suicide attempt and suicide. JAMA 268(24): 3441-3445.
[2] Hawton K, Clements A, Simkin S, Malmberg A. (2000). Doctors who kill themselves: a study of the methods used for suicide. QJM 93(6): 351-357. (link)

I am intrigued and considering trying this.
They say smoking is bad for people with Crohns (I don't smoke) does this count for smoking cannabis as-well?
No. I have smoked cigarettes in the past, and I am much healthier now that I just smoke cannabis. I didn't smoke cannabis then, and I had flares all the time. They are much less now and I am much happier and less run down now than I ever was! I'm not the layabout pothead of past stereotypes, or a new age hippie. I am a working professional leading a productive life with hobbies and enjoyment in life. Sure things could be better, but I'm not in jail (although I could be since I have not registered as a medicinal user)

If a smoker smokes a pack of cigarettes a day, that is 20 full cigarettes throughout the day. One rolled joint lasts all day for me, and it's not even close to being the same amount as a cigarette. So, much less smoke entering the lungs. Usually I have a couple of puffs and I am good for many hours - can exercise, do chores, instead of lying down in front of the tv feeling exhausted from work....

Also, in comparing the smoke, ....

"The combustion of tobacco produces a type of smoke that contains more than 4000 substances and chemicals, which are made up of particles and gases that can be inhaled and absorbed into the body.

Many of these chemicals are extremely dangerous, not only for the smoker but also for those people nearby.

The International Cancer Investigation Agency has identified over 50 carcinogenic substances in tobacco smoke. 11 of the substances are proven to cause cancer in humans, 7 probably cause cancer in humans and 49 of the substances cause cancer in animals but have not yet been proven to in humans."

Consider the alternative:

"Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough, more frequent upper respiratory illnesses, and a greater risk of lung infections like pneumonia. As with tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke consists of a toxic mixture of gases and tiny particles, many of which are known to harm the lungs. Although we don't yet know if marijuana causes lung cancer, many people who smoke marijuana also smoke cigarettes, which do cause cancer—and smoking marijuana can make it harder to quit tobacco use."

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/marijuana-facts-teens/want-to-know-more%E2%80%94-some-faqs-about-marijuana

However, if the amount of smoke I inhale is less than 1/20th that of the average cigarette smoker, then the risk is quite low.

However, if I used a vaoprizor there would be no smoke at all! On the shopping list.

But, firstly if you discuss it with your medical team they can't act on it can they as it's illegal with patient confidentiality and all that? (ie getting the police involved for using an illegal substance etc)
Also... They say smoking is bad for people with Crohns (I don't smoke) does this count for smoking cannabis as-well?

Holly

PM me and we can be in touch about this... bestfootie@aol.com

But, firstly if you discuss it with your medical team they can't act on it can they as it's illegal with patient confidentiality and all that? (ie getting the police involved for using an illegal substance etc)
Also... They say smoking is bad for people with Crohns (I don't smoke) does this count for smoking cannabis as-well?
In America it is against the law for them to violate patient confidentiality unless you are an imminent threat to yourself and others. My doctor is UCLA trained and has no problem with my cannabis use. I've always stated I use cannabis and doctors always notice it but never tell me to not do it.

I am interested in trying marijuana to reduce inflamation. I read recently that you can make suppositories with marijuana. Will this be more effective in reducing swelling in the large bowel? How do you make them? If anyone has any information on how that would be great. Thanks :D

I am interested in trying marijuana to reduce inflamation. I read recently that you can make suppositories with marijuana. Will this be more effective in reducing swelling in the large bowel? How do you make them? If anyone has any information on how that would be great. Thanks :D
My doctor told me that cooking and eating cannabis would bring the anti-inflammatory canabinoids directly to the colon. It works systemically so I doubt you have to go through the trouble of making suppositories but a quick google search of "cannabis suppositories" should lead you in the right direction.

I have had ulcerative colitis for 6 years and marijuana helps more then any other over the counter drug that is prescribed by doctors. Unfortunately the medical marijuana is so strong and makes me feel like a zombie. Why the government won't allow us to grown our own like herbs is crazy. They would rather make their own in a lab (very unnatural) and make us feel like zombies. Marijuana helps me eat as well as keep me off the toilet for a few hours. This disease is very debilitating and should be treated very seriously. It is easy to fall in a deep depression when your day revolves around the bathroom and what can I eat and what I can do for the day. I now only work part time from home and stay close to bathrooms. I am trying to get into remission>

Hi Guys,
Might as well post what I have been up to for last couple of weeks.
So I googled/researched the usual about MMJ. Found rick simpson story,
found out about the oil.
I tried it and I have to say within 3 days it worked. Within 3 weeks I barely have the pain I use to feel. In fact most of the time Im normal and no Bathroom problems. I have had EVIL D once or twice, but I believe it was related to the dairy that I ate (lactose intolerance). Other than dairy I could literally eat whatever I wanted and not be worried. Still using it until this day.

I can say that it is exactly like using LDN. I have never used it before but from what I understood its regulates the immune system. As long as it works. Another way is eating the cookies. There great too.

When I told the Doc, he was a bit :S but said you look healthier. I think the super plant is better ingested than smoked. Boil it as a tea like the chinese used to some centuries ago. You will be suprised.

Just remember your treatment choice is up to you. One of the rarer side effects of Humira is "Fatal Events". Big Pharma, via doctors, is pushing Humira hard. I was doing great and my doctor still ordered it for me and became irate when I turned it down. It's very expensive and listed in the top 5 FDA most dangerous FDA approved drugs in regards to "fatal events" and other serious reactions.
Same here! He even told me he was not 'pushing drugs' and then still tried to convince me.

However if I told him I was managing ok with cannabis he would probably refuse to see me anymore.

I never Made the RSo. I sought cookies with the plant inside. Than the tea , then I found that there are people who know about this where I live and I sought out to grab it. Your in la. Get in touch with Phoenix tears. Or get in touch with some on the hemp forums. The best are those who grow it purely, not dealers. In three days I felt better in a week good, then two weeks u can say 80% better even when eating garbage. Could be placebo, could be remission. But when I'm not the only one who is using it from the look of things. Btw YouTube hemp oil and some one explains how to make it through a vaporizer. Very cost effective.

Good luck.

Hello all,

I am a new member to the forums. After ongoing symptoms that began in April 2012, I was finally diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, after a colonoscopy, this past week.

My symptoms included:
-Episcleritis (right eye)
-Uveitis (left eye)
-Ball like inflammation in back of my right ear, as well as on my nose.
-Bumps (inflammation like) on my legs.
-Cramps: although painful, hasn’t been too severe, as of yet
-Mild to excessive bowel movements.
-Severe joint pains (especially on the knees, hips and ankles)
-Fatigue (both physical and mental) – which I believe has had negative implications socially; not being able to be myself
-Mouth sores
-Fistulas
-Skin seems to be dry and bruise easily.

During the course of these past few months I have been on Sulfasalazine and Entocort. I have experienced some side effects amongst the two, most notably headaches and a rapid heartbeat. Some of the symptoms described above have been resolved, however, in place – new ones have appeared. Fatigue, joint pains, excessive bowel movements and cramps seem to be constant.
During my ‘diagnosis’ appointment with my Doctor, he advised me that Sulfasalazine alone would not be able to contain my symptoms, and the use of steroids had very negative implications on the body in the long term. He advised that the use of Remicade or Humira would be a more effective treatment plan; although, there would be side-effects associated with the use of these two drugs. I took a few days to think about the alternatives, while they ordered chest ex-rays, MRI, blood work, etc (to see if I’d be able to take the drugs in the first place). Researching these two drugs online, I read about the serious side-effects associated with their use. I’ve decided not to pursue the use of these medications (unless last resort), and decided to look into other alternatives.
I did a lot of research on medical marijuana as an alternative and based on what I found, the herb seems to have many positive implications. I do live in Southern CA – I would be able to have ‘legal’ access to it.
I did have two questions that I’d like to ask the forum. I know plenty members here have dealt with what I have just started dealing with, for many years. I would really value and appreciate any of your opinions and suggestions –

1.) Is MMJ primarily used to keep patients in remission for a longer period of time (as Humira, Remicade, etc) OR to relieve the pain associated with and during flare-ups.

2.) Of course, no one knows my symptoms and feelings associated with it better than I do – however, based on the ones I noted – does it seem as if I would benefit from the use of cannabis.

Thank you all, sorry for the novel :)

Chris

You live in CA. That's a plus. Cannabis is great for pain relief, nausea, reducing cramps and inflammation. Humira seems a bit aggressive at this point. Research the pros and cons. Have you had a colonoscopy yet?

David

Co-Founder
One18deg,

As you have fistulizing Crohn's disease, you're going to need a LOT more than just medical marijuana. In my opinion, it is a complimentary medicine, and a great one at that. In the case of fistulizing Crohn's disease, you need to take the shotgun approach and hit the disease from all angles to get your inflammation in check and heal your mucosa ASAP. If you're concerned about those medications, then I would research total enteral nutrition and low dose naltrexone. But if they, in conjunction with the MMJ don't get you in remission and fast, I would definitely consider a biologic. Or even a biologic and all that other stuff. Fistulizing Crohn's is serious and needs to be treated as such.

Thanks guys,

JohnnyO - yes, I had a colonoscopy a week and a half ago. They found ulcers within my large intestines.

David - thank you for the information. I looked up enteral nutrition; I will definitely look into it further, along with the rest. However, I meant a fistula - I've had only one (near the anus); I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not?

I had several that I cured with antibiotics. My doctor recommended humira but after a few rounds of cipro flagyl I've been free of abscess and fistulas as well as crohns symptoms.

Just my two cents for what its worth - I agree with David. For fistulizing crohns (even one fistula) you don't want to mess around with it. I would personally do Remicade. Just read the forum about other members and the problems you can experience with fistulas. Recent research has shown that if you treat Crohns with a "top down" medical approach, meaning do the biologics and hit it hard in the beginning - they found much more people in remission in the long run. Compared to patients who are treated with the "bottom up" approach - where you go through the medicine from weak to strong.

BTW, M is also great in helping you have an appetite:)

I get extremely paranoid when using cannabis. But I do feel a great deal of relief in regards to the gut. Is there a way of using it that would cause LESS paranoia? Is ingesting or vaporizing different then smoking it? I wish I could benefit from it, it would be so easy! LOL
There are some high cbd, low thc products out there,, which would not give the high, yet are shown in some studies to be effective.

I think that the side effect of paranoia is from having too much. When you may be unfamiliar with a certain strength of cannabis, take a little puff and see what happens, do not smoke a huge joint by yourself, you are just asking for trouble. Like most other dosages, keep it low to start and you might not need any more - just a dab'll do ya, as they say.

So basically I believe that becoming paranoia is similar to getting so high that you forget that you are high. If you are this high, then you are simply taking too much at once. How do you define paranoia? It's not always the stereotypical feeling that 'people are out to get me'. I find I can become more self conscious than usual, while other times I feel more confident - however the confidence might just from the relief of the pain and other discomforts. It just feels so good to be rid of all that, I begin to operate like a strong healthy person again. If I find that I am spending more time alone, doing projects on my own etc, I consider perhaps this is because I am using too much and try to cut back a bit. Normally I just have a few puffs after work and I am good, but other days when I don't need to be thinking or whatnot then I sometimes do it in the morning too. I read in this thread that some people use it throughout the day - I wouldn't be able to function, at work or in society, if this were the case - but I am very sensitive to all drugs.

peace

Last week I used a high CBD strain from Colorado called "Luca Brasi". 8.44 percent CBD, 10.93 percent THC.

It was very nice. I was incredibly comfortable.

If you want only CBD's, check out Dixie Elixirs. They make hemp-derived CBD products. There is no THC (the psychoactive compound in marijuana).

I have not tried this myself but they are a (supposedly) reputable medical marijuana company based in Colorado.

I would rather use Cannabis. I feel I should have a choice but I don't. I have insurance but my co-pays are out of this world. Alot of the meds make me sick. Some have awful side effects and then to help those side effects the doc just writes another script. It never stops.

Kev

There was a recent study released about the effect of cannabis on males under age 35. The results? The risk of testicular cancer doubles. Why? I dunno. I stopped recreational use of it over 25 years ago. (when I became a Dad). I never presented with symptoms that made me consider it as a treatment or treatment supplement, but I have no bias for or against. Just thought, in case someone (esp. males <35) is considering it, that this info needed to be shared.

There was a study that humira, remicade, aza cause cancer.
And a study in mice that the kills cancer cells.
YouTube it. Scientists from a university in America.

Kev

I never looked at the study. Just heard it on the news (I spend 10 - 12 hours a day in the cab of my truck, the radio makes for great company). The morning radio show hosts made great fodder of the report. You know? Like, "smoking pot takes balls, real balls". But it shouldn't be too hard to find. And, although this study found that it doubled the risk, the next study may contradict the previous, and circle will go round and round. And even if this study is right.... it just concludes the risk for men under 35 is doubled, not guarranteed

There is no telling what other substances these males were doing recreationally that could be attributed to cancer. I bet that they also smoked the marijuana instead of using an edible or vaporizing. There are all kinds of nasties that occur when you burn something.

Just say no to combustion.

There was a recent study released about the effect of cannabis on males under age 35. The results? The risk of testicular cancer doubles. Why? I dunno. I stopped recreational use of it over 25 years ago. (when I became a Dad). I never presented with symptoms that made me consider it as a treatment or treatment supplement, but I have no bias for or against. Just thought, in case someone (esp. males <35) is considering it, that this info needed to be shared.
This is funny

Lance Armstrong had testicular cancer. He won 7 Tour de France titles. Regardless of his doping controversy, my point being.. "So what? I would gladly forgo a testicle, or both since I'm not likely to have kids at 45, and have relief of my symptoms."

I'm sure we could fill pages with links of reports of diseases caused by alcohol, tobacco, and the whole host of other "legal" drugs.... in fact here are a few...my point being, there are way more deleterious health impacts from over the counter, legal substances that are much more harmful to human health, than there will ever be from the vapours of heated flowers of the cannabis plant growing in my back yard.

http://www.webhealthcentre.com/DiseaseConditions/alcoholism_deaddiction_damage.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/about_4760710_diseases-caused-alcohol-abuse.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_alcohol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_alcohol

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/effects_cig_smoking/

David

Co-Founder
It's important that we remain open to the potential negative affects of medical marijuana and list any reputable studies that showcase such affects just as we would for more traditional medications. Pretty much everything has some sort of side effect but when people are making choices of what treatments to include in their regimen, they deserve the best possible information, both positive and negative, so that can make an educated, informed decision.

For us to get defensive or emotional when potential negative information is provided about a treatment does not cast a good light on that treatment. We ask for the study, we analyze the study, and we present findings based upon that scientific data, leaving our emotions and biases out of it. I realize it can be hard and struggle with it myself, but it's what people who might use this medication deserve.

If marijuana potentially increases the chance of testicular cancer and if we get ahold of and analyze the study and don't feel it is poorly done, then people deserve to have that information presented. That personally wouldn't stop me from using it if I felt it was a good choice for me, but I'd sure pay more attention to my nuts. And so might others and lives might be saved.

David, I agree there are side effects to everything. But it would be helpful to have more information about these findings. Such as ingestion methods, etc. It seems like this wasn't a controlled population but a theory based on the question "do you use marijuana".

There are many studies on pubmed about cancer-halting properties of marijuana but I haven't seen any stating that it causes cancer. Perhaps I'm just not looking for it but, I'd love to see it.

Either way... I'm super glad that I don't have testicles. :biggrin:

Kev

I agree with David. The point is... making a choice about any treatment method requires looking at all of the pertinent data; pro and con. Once that info is presented, then one has the facts at hand to decide for themselves whether to pursue this treatment or that.

Were I a male, under age 35, and weighing my options, I would want to know. Better that I know ahead of time that there is a statistical increase of risk... than to blindly delve into it only to find out much later on that the risk existed; and no one pointed it out. I think this forum has put it's proverbial neck out there, so to speak, allowing me to post about low dose Naltrexone treatment. But I also expect AND respect posting of any info that might be considered contrary. The forums total credibility, and as a direct result, its effectiveness; depends on an un-biased, neutral presentation of all the facts involved.

As I said earlier, I'm neither pro or con. Nothing within my personal symptomolgy drives me to look deeper into the potential of cannabis as a treatment, aid or supplement. My only involvement was having heard of this recent study; and tossing it into the thread as an FYI for those who do have an interest. This info could be vital to someones making an informed choice. As for whether merely being a carcenogenic is vital one way or the other, my stance is that... like any other medical option, one should know what, if any, risks a treatment may pose. Hiding unpopular info on a treatment is just not on.

Finally, I heard today courtesy of David Suzuki's Nature of Things... that scientists ARE alarmed by what selective breeding has done to todays cannabis. Apparently the levels of THC have been greatly elevated; at the cost of the counter-balancing levels of CBD.
The lower levels of CBD present risks to the user that studies based solely on the old fashioned cannabis wouldn't show. The overall consensus was that using cannabis that did not have a healthy balance of approx. 4% THC AND 4% CBD posed risks to the user.

Again, just another FYI.

The documentary you speak of was focused on teenagers in BC.

The teenagers in the documentary are struggling with mental disorders due to being exposed to such high quality cannabis with loads of THC during an important developmental stage of the brain. This is indeed a known side-effect of using cannabis. An acquaintance of mine grew up using very strong cannabis and he has a terrible problem with schizophrenia :(

What the write-up on the documentary failed to mention is that now that there is more being studied about cannabis other natural healing properties--such as CBD's. There are strains being grown now to boost CBD's. The article only mentions that people are selectively breeding to boost THC, and that is inaccurate.

There is recent news that CBD's are responsible for halting certain metastasizing cancers. I wish the documentary you speak of included some positive information to counterbalance all the negatives.

Marijuana And Cancer: Scientists Find Cannabis Compound Stops Metastasis In Aggressive Cancers
(links to pubmed study in article)

I suppose I am defensive about scaremongering when it comes to cannabis because I know that it has helped me and many other people. Plus, like I said earlier, these subjects that developed testicular cancer were not controlled. There is no telling what else they were using. But it is definitely something to think about. I definitely don't want any potentially negative information about it to be hidden. I just wish that when that information was given there were studies that were more controlled to back it up.

Last edited:
I agree with making informed decisions when considering taking medications. Yes, some people do become advocates for their medication. Some cheer more than others. I wouldn't say cannabis is right for everyone. My intention in posting wasn't to get anyone riled up but I can see how my post might have been seen as defensive. Such is the written word, when hastily written.

Initially I thought of Lance Armstrong when I read the post about testicular cancer, but then it likely wasn't caused by his intake of cannabis though I could be wrong. I was thinking about him winning all those Tour de France titles and wondering 'testicular cancer can't be all that bad', in a humorous way.

When you consider the shopping list of side effects for most pharmaceuticals....isn't it odd now that cancer seems to be a common side effect to treatment and we just accept that as a risk without question?

I can see a day when doctors will prescribe cannabis and other natural unrefined herbal treatments, and recall the dark ages of medicine when corporations sold chemical products that made people more sick.

It's just my opinion, and if I've offended you it was unintentional. However if you work for a pharmaceutical company perhaps it was intentional. ;)

Seems to me that for any of us who have previously smoked pot recreationally, we need to re-learn how to use it in a more medicinal way. Getting stoned just makes you more tired and we are all knackered anyway from the Crohn's and prescription drugs, so maybe that is not such a good thing, unless it gives you a mental break you need.

Learning instead to use it in a controlled way to aid digestion can be a very good thing. It takes away cramps and allows enjoyment of the evening meal and afterwards. That has to be a good thing - a non-toxic medicine.

Kev

I'm not trying to be a scare mongerer.... nor am I opposed to the use of cannabis for the treatment (or any supplemental lessening of any symptoms) of Crohns, or MS, or cancer. It may have come across that way because the info I provided was completely 1 sided. But there is a simple explanation for that. The info I posted, and the lack of any balance, is simply because I'm not taking a pro or con approach/attitude with the info. Just posting it on the off chance that someone who is involved/interested (one way or the other) could follow it up (in case it had slipped between the cracks). Case closed. I mean, with your traditional pharmaceutical meds, the info (pro or con) comes with. Whether one chooses to simply take the meds; without reading the disclaimers; is a personal choice. But, at least one has the option.

Now, if the study reporting the dramatic increase in testicular cancer is flawed, just wait for a while. I'm sure there will be a follow up where the stated position reverses. If another crops up that confirms the 1st; then men in the target age group need to know, and then must decide. I mean, it is one thing if it was a barely perceptible change in the risk factor.. but doubled? And, yes... cancers are survivable... mostly. It depends on the cancer... my dad died from pancreatic cancer. The survival rate for it isn't soooo good. And, speaking personally... battling Crohns is one thing, but having it AND battling cancer is another. I know. It pissed me off (pardon my turn of the phrase) to battle Crohns to a virtual standstill... only then to be faced with battling.. not one.. but two types/forms of cancer. Believe me, the diagnosis alone took a great deal out of me. And, I've been extremely lucky... it seems that, thanks in great part to the vigilence of my doctor, both have been nipped in the bud. I just got my 1st 'all clear' for the colon cancer this Friday past... (although the biopsy reports are still pending). I don't know (and I hope I never find out) what a 'positive' diagnosis would do to make my life with crohns more complex. Yes, Mr Armstrong did amazing things post diagnosis. I'm not sure what his response would be if he were asked if he wished he could totally have avoided dealing with testicular cancer. Just a hunch, but I'm betting he'd say YES!
Question is... if asked if someone/anyone... would like to avoid deailng with both cancer AND Crohns.. I'm guessing 9/10 would also say YES!. But, I could be wrong. If cannabis is the only choice... then you are damned if you do; damned if you don't. If it isn't the only choice... just popular because it is cannabis... then potentially affected folks need to do some soul searching. Like, am I using it because it is the ONLY thing I can use; or are some/any/all of my motives less than pure. That is one question no one can answer except the 'first' person. But, as the old saying goes... forewarned is fore armed. Okay?

Hey Kevin,

I just wanted to say that I'm so glad to hear that you have good news regarding your cancer screens so far. I was diagnosed with colon cancer last august. Thankfully after a radical 17 hour surgery and 6 months now for chemo I am all clear. I was on Humira for 2.5 years I'm really not sure if it was that or the fact that I have had very active Crohn's for 28 years (I'm only 36), I suspect a combination of the two issues. I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone. In retrospect I wish I had researched more "natural" methods but with anything in life it's all about the cost benefit ratio and what works or is acceptable for the individual. I hope all your biopsies come back negative.

All the best,

Kat

My apologies, Kev. I wasn't accusing you of being a scaremonger. That comment was pointed towards negative news reports on cannabis in general and how they do little to educate on the healing properties and positive aspects of cannabis instead of just all the (possible) negative side effects.

Kev

First, thanks for the well wishes. I was trying not to sweat this latest scope, but it ended up that way anyway. I was supposed to have it June past... booked time off work and everything.... only to have violent nausea (1st time it has ever happened, hope its last) from the prep... threw up majority of it... which meant rescheduling. I think waiting those extra 3 months played on my mind. But, enough of that. I didn't mean to hijack the thread just express appreciation of the well wishes.

As for an apology, none is needed. I wasn't rebuttling any 'implied' accusation per se (nor did I percieve any). It is all a matter of context. Is a medical disclaimer an example of scare mongering? I don't see them as such. More an example of corporate cover your ass. But, even if I were to set my big business bias aside and grant them that their disclaimers are done only with the best of intentions; then we.. the great unwashed have to accept/expect that some of the info provided will be VERY scary.
Are there 'professional researchers' out there who are nothing more than intellectual guns for hire? You bet. Do many of them tilt the playing field to do research where the outcome has been pre-set by whoevers pockets they are being paid from? Again, you bet. But, is every instance where the results of research don't mesh with our personal take (or stake) in things another example of such? I don't think so. And, I don't think any rational person does either. Unless they are letting their own bias completely blind them to reality. And, the one thing I think every Crohnie needs to cherish above all else is realities.

Like, this site is a resource whose value to the Crohns community is incalcuable? (sp?). I think each and every one of us owes it to each other to keep the info available on here as real.. as comprehensive... as honest... as unbiased .. as humanly possible. I say that because this is the one thing we CAN control. And, literally, the only thing no one can take away from us... other than ourselves. And a huge chunk of that is reputation.
If we start tilting the playing field; if we give into the temptation to hide unpopular truths; if we start spin doctoring research, data, whatever... simply because we don't like it... then we are jeopardizing the whole kit and caboodle.

Personally, I think cannabis should be completely de-criminalized. I think it should be sold the way alcohol or tobacco is sold (like, those 2 vie to be the top killer of people). I think taking a 'soft' drug like cannabis totally out of the realm of criminals would do more to stem the drug trade than every measure by every law enforcement agency around the world to date has accomplished. But, that is just my humble opinion. Nothing more.

In the interim, until that day arrives, providing all the bona fide info that can be sourced both pro and con on the issue of treating/alleviating crohns with cannabis has to be our SOP. Or at least, that is how I would hope it would be done. Why? I have sons. Both of them are under 35... If they developed this disease, I would sleep much better if I knew... knew with absolute certainty.. that they could come here and get the scoop, the whole scoop, and nothing but the scoop. Unvarnished, unadulterated, REAL scoop.

For instance... I never knew that THC and CBD levels were linked, and dependant. Or, that if you elevated THC, CBD would drop. Couldn't be avoided. Or that lowering the CBD might cause delusions, even schitzhoid episodes, in adolescents. Or so some now say. Something to note, something to keep an eye on, waiting for corroboration or a total reversal... whatever. Thing of it is... this info shouldn't be swept under the rug or hidden under a barrel simply because it might not sit well with some. We simply have too many adolescents, or parents of same... who are desperately looking for all the info they can get on potential treatments. And it has to be all the info. Not just the stuff we personally agree with. OK, I'm done now. I'll climb down off my pulpit and shut up. Okay?

Hi everyone, looks like you've made a nice community here. I found this thread through Google and wanted to share my experience.

I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 13, after six months of hell. However an Asacol prescription put me in remission rather quickly and all was well. I have not had any symptoms in the 14 years since - I've been lucky. I never took the Asacol seriously and usually took it once a day rather than the three times it was prescribed. I would even get careless and not take it for months at a time, with no trouble. I never bothered to avoid any foods though I have a healthy diet.

Now though, I think I may be having my first flare up since being diagnosed. Although I don't have that intense stabbing pain I remember, I've been having diarrhea 4-5 times a day, and it's making me not want to eat.

The reason I'm posting in this thread is that I've been a heavy marijuana user since the senior year of high school, that's nearly every day for seven years. (To help alleviate the occasional concerns in this thread that marijuana may have a detrimental effect on intelligence or productivity, I did very well at an ivy league university and am now getting a PhD in complexity studies. But that's neither here nor there). Anyways, the start of this flare up coincided with my stopping marijuana. For a variety of reasons, mostly financial, I decided to stop temporarily (I do feel like it has played a positive role in my life). And then boom, a week or so later, Crohns symptoms.

I think it's most likely a coincidence, but I know long-term marijuana use can have lasting effects on things like receptor levels, and I was wondering if anyone else has has a similar experience. Not so much marijuana alleviating symptoms, we all know it does that, but marijuana cessation triggering a flareup. And yes, before it's mentioned, I will be seeing my specialist later this week.

Also my two cents regarding the cancer research, while it is important to know the positives and negatives of our lifestyle choices (for marijuana, there are definitely both), we need to keep the risks in perspective. The media tends to overstate these things. I have a similar or greater risk of getting in a car accident every single day than I do of ever getting testicular cancer in my lifetime. Doubling the cancer risk does not change that. In fact, doubling a small probability is not a big deal. It's not like if you told me, a priori, that the risk was 0.8% I would be scared but if you told me 0.4% I would feel better. That said, it is a disconcerting study for someone with my history, and I can only hope the positive effects of marijuana with respect to cancer risks outweigh this new finding.

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
There's a part of me that wonders if you never had Crohn's (misdiagnosis especially since Asacol would VERY rarely induce remission for that long) and your current diarrhea is due to marijuana withdrawal (can happen). This would obviously be the best explanation. But if you think it's a flare, please get an appointment with a GI.

Hmm, that never occurred to me. I'll definitely ask the doctor. He's not the one who diagnosed me so he might have a different perspective. Thanks for the feedback.

David

Co-Founder
To elaborate a little, I could see the medical marijuana MAYBE keeping things at bay for that long especially if you respond extremely well to it. But there's that 4-5 year remission window between diagnosis and utilization of marijuana where you were just on Asacol (very unimpressive data in Crohn's disease) which has me wondering. Hopefully I'm correct but there's obviously a good chance I'm wrong so please don't act on this in any way without a thorough check by a GI.

I think it could be a little bit of both. I was using MM for a while and was fine. I thought I was in remission. But, then I stopped and felt HORRIBLE for about a month. I know that coming off of MM after a prolonged period can cause weakness and extreme tiredness. But, at the same time, you are taking something away from your body that is known to ease pain and inflammation, so as the MM leaves your body these things come back or become more apparent.

That's my take on it anyway. I could be wrong. It would be awesome if we could get some studies on this for MM Crohn's patients.

Oh... well... I just found this. It's also on the first page of this thread. :lol2:

Treatment of Crohn's disease with cannabis: an observational study.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The marijuana plant cannabis is known to have therapeutic effects, including improvement of inflammatory processes. However, no report of patients using cannabis for Crohn's disease (CD) was ever published.

OBJECTIVES:
To describe the effects of cannabis use in patients suffering from CD.

METHODS:
In this retrospective observational study we examined disease activity, use of medication, need for surgery, and hospitalization before and after cannabis use in 30 patients (26 males) with CD. Disease activity was assessed by the Harvey Bradshaw index for Crohn's disease.

RESULTS:
Of the 30 patients 21 improved significantly after treatment with cannabis. The average Harvey Bradshaw index improved from 14 +/- 6.7 to 7 +/- 4.7 (P < 0.001). The need for other medication was significantly reduced. Fifteen of the patients had 19 surgeries during an average period of 9 years before cannabis use, but only 2 required surgery during an average period of 3 years of cannabis use.

CONCLUSIONS:
This is the first report of cannabis use in Crohn's disease in humans. The results indicate that cannabis may have a positive effect on disease activity, as reflected by reduction in disease activity index and in the need for other drugs and surgery. Prospective placebo-controlled studies are warranted to fully evaluate the efficacy and side effects of cannabis in CD.

Now though, I think I may be having my first flare up since being diagnosed. Although I don't have that intense stabbing pain I remember, I've been having diarrhea 4-5 times a day, and it's making me not want to eat.
I'm the same, in addition to bloody mucous stools when I quit cannabis. I'd rather not be anemic...I'm pretty sure that if I was getting this kind of reaction from quitting any medication then I'd be very inclined to go back on the medication.

Hello all,

Just a quick question:

Has anyone experienced any changes, in what seems to be eye pressure after consuming MM? I understand that upon consumption, eyes tend to get red - due to lowered eye pressure and increased blood flow. However, I've been finding that my eye(s) (usually one eye over the other) tends to be red the next day as well - my blood vessels seem to be expanded (almost like an inflammation) and very visible. Although I don't feel much pain, I do feel some sort of light throbbing, which comes and goes occasionally throughout the day..

I did have an episode of Episcleritis (an inflammation in the white portion of the eye) a few months ago - however, this was deemed to be a symptom of my Crohn's disease..I'm wondering if there is any relation?

Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks all.

Well, MM is supposed to relieve eye pressure and is known to be helpful to conditions such as Glaucoma which is caused by intraocular pressure.

Have you tried using eye drops to remove the redness? Do you have allergies?

Perhaps you should explain the redness and throbbing to your ophthalmologist. It's very possible that maybe your eyes are becoming very dry, which I've heard can happen with Crohn's patients. I had a period where one of my eyes was very scratchy and dry for a while. I was told it was Crohn's related and given some lubricating drops for the eye and it eventually went away.

No allergies that I know of. I have used eye drops, however, only ones like visine and clear eyes - upon usage, it does go away - but I don't want to constantly be using those types of drops.

Yeah... I understand. I think they can make things worse over time. Maybe try out some artificial tears. Those are different from visine and clear eyes just in that they are primarily lubricating. If it gets worse I would definitely go back to the doctor.

I'm posting here because I thought I remember David mentioning the private forum being more active. I'm curious as to what's said in there :)

I just wanted to say I am sorry for posting on this subject on another forum. I didn't read forum rules before posting. This allowed me to eat and leave my house for the first time in years. I got too excited and just wanted to tell others how cannabis oil changed my situation so quickly. I realize this may not be the answer for everyone and is still somewhat controversial. Again, I am sorry.

Since my troubles started I've felt that after smoking some cannabis (without tobacco) I feel less stressed, the bowels feel more relaxed and I can actually calm down and focus on other things. And the pain mostly vanishes.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I started out as a recreational user around 18-19 years of age and quickly realized that it put me into complete remission. Somebody earlier in the thread said something like "we have to re-learn how to use cannabis in a medicinal matter" a statement I completely agree with.

I recently quit using medical cannabis for 1 month and all my symptoms returned very quickly. Saw my doc, he told me to get back on my cannabis tinctures and edibles. Before the month that I quit using I was vaporizing/dropping tincture once a day to stave off my symptoms, and I was in the best remission of my life for a solid 3 years.

I have some strong Rick Simpson oil and some good tincture to hold me over for the next few weeks. Hopefully it will put me into remission again soon.

I've been diagnosed with Pancolitis since age 11. Been on almost every drug....to no avail. Prednisone really took a toll on my body during my puberty years. We all have to remember that there is no cure for Crohns or Colitis, but there are simply drugs that mask the symptoms. Cannabis seems to mask these symptoms better than any other drug for me. Just my two cents on the subject.

Even though I'm sure the cannabis will put me back into remission soon, I'm still seeing my Gastroenterologist soon to get some tests done as well as a long overdue colonoscopy. My last colonoscopy was clean and clear, and I hope for the same this time. Thanks for reading and I hope others can find relief with the use of cannabis.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
FullM3lt, let us know how the tests go, please!
Will do! I should be getting my blood work back within the next few days and I will be scheduling my colonoscopy when I go see my GI

I attribute my recent flare to the halting of my medical cannabis use, but I just want to be sure. A few tests will put my mind at ease. The flare i'm having right now is not too bad, but it still sucks all the life out of me. I'm sure you all understand how that works...

I only recently started using my tincture and edibles again so they will take time to build up in my system. Really hoping that I can start to feel better before the colonoscopy, but I'm still long overdue :D

Thanks for reading guys. This forum rocks!

Where do you get the tinctures? Thinking of trying it myself, I made the decision to come of Azathioprine early in the summer, hated what it was doing to my body as secondary side effects. The GI will not like it, but my flare was settled, had gained back some weight, etc.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
Where do you get the tinctures? Thinking of trying it myself, I made the decision to come of Azathioprine early in the summer, hated what it was doing to my body as secondary side effects. The GI will not like it, but my flare was settled, had gained back some weight, etc.
Well medical cannabis is legal here in my state (WA) with a recommendation from a qualified physician. So I just go to the local "dispensary" or I make it myself.

The people there are great and help me find whatever works best. If you're from Missouri I don't know how to help you...as far as I know, medical cannabis is not legal in Missouri (unfortunately) :thumbdown:

I don't want to advise you to do anything illegal, but it's worked wonders for me. If you have any other means of obtaining it...I'd say go for it...IMO there is nothing morally wrong with using cannabis for medical reasons, regardless of the law.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
FullM3lt, let us know how the tests go, please!
Got a call today and all my blood test results are normal. :thumleft: I was worried because of inflamed lymph nodes and a slightly enlarged spleen, but it must just be my immune system going haywire right now. I'm feeling very relieved.

Still going into my gastro on the 13th and scheduling a colonoscopy. Feeling MUCH better today. Took my rick simpson oil last night before bed and had a nice firm stool this morning :ylol:

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
That's great news!! I know you are relieved. Yeah, our immune systems do go haywire sometimes.

Still feeling a bit off, but I had the energy to go for a 10 mile bike ride this morning and now i'm off to work on one of my houses (taking advantage of the poor housing market) :whistleinnocently:

Have a good day people!!

I just came across this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. I've had Crohn's for over 20 years now. For the first decade, I went through every medication there was, and would typically take 10-20 pills a day. I had two surgeries during that time as well. Then I was introduced to cannabis, and it has helped in almost every aspect, from pain and cramping to weight and appetite. I've also manged to get off all meds except Humira. So to anyone who hasn't tried it, talk to your doctor, because you might be surprised how much a natural substance can help compared to many of the pharmaceuticals out there. And if you live somewhere that allows you to grow your own, it won't even cost you anything!

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I just came across this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. I've had Crohn's for over 20 years now. For the first decade, I went through every medication there was, and would typically take 10-20 pills a day. I had two surgeries during that time as well. Then I was introduced to cannabis, and it has helped in almost every aspect, from pain and cramping to weight and appetite. I've also manged to get off all meds except Humira. So to anyone who hasn't tried it, talk to your doctor, because you might be surprised how much a natural substance can help compared to many of the pharmaceuticals out there. And if you live somewhere that allows you to grow your own, it won't even cost you anything!
That's great to hear, Joe! I've been off all medication for about 4 years now because of cannabis oil/tincture. Truly a miracle medicine and it doesn't turn my immune system into garbage!

The side effects of the medicines the doctors give us are as bad as our disease, it makes me sick that they refuse to look at natural medicines.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
The side effects of the medicines the doctors give us are as bad as our disease, it makes me sick that they refuse to look at natural medicines.
Amen to that. I'm seeing a new GI doc on Tuesday and I know he's gonna try to push some big pharma meds on me...good thing I have no plans of doing so.

I'm all for modern medicine as far as blood tests and other invasive tests go (i.e colonoscopy, endoscopy etc....) but as for as some of these "medicines" i've been prescribed in the past 10 years...90% of them have made me feel worse than I did before!

I'm very new to the disease -- about a year and a half -- but it's been a rough go and cannabis has been great for me. CBD hash has been the most effective -- allowing me to completely drop all other meds with incredible success. However, thanks to the DEA shutting things down left and right in California, I'm afraid I'll have to go back to sulfasalazine (which is like prison for me) as there just isn't enough CBD hash to go around. Other CBD buds simply aren't enough, apparently (been trying with little success).

Given all the people who aren't as fortunate as us in medical states, I decided to go public about my medical cannabis use. I am a business owner so it sort of puts my reputation on the line -- but there are too many in non-medical states that need us in the medical states to speak out. I'm hoping that I continue to improve to the point where I can dedicate large amounts of my time to helping others get their states legal cannabis.

http://bobbyearle.com/blog/ulcerativ...e-have-i-been/

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I'm very new to the disease -- about a year and a half -- but it's been a rough go and cannabis has been great for me. CBD hash has been the most effective -- allowing me to completely drop all other meds with incredible success. However, thanks to the DEA shutting things down left and right in California, I'm afraid I'll have to go back to sulfasalazine (which is like prison for me) as there just isn't enough CBD hash to go around. Other CBD buds simply aren't enough, apparently (been trying with little success).

Given all the people who aren't as fortunate as us in medical states, I decided to go public about my medical cannabis use. I am a business owner so it sort of puts my reputation on the line -- but there are too many in non-medical states that need us in the medical states to speak out. I'm hoping that I continue to improve to the point where I can dedicate large amounts of my time to helping others get their states legal cannabis.

http://bobbyearle.com/blog/ulcerativ...e-have-i-been/

Very cool blog, Bobbyearle. :thumright:

Since you are a medical patient in Cali, you should try producing your own meds if that is at all possible. It's much cheaper in the end and the DEA doesn't care about people supplying themselves with medicine via a few plants.

I agree with your statement about more people going public with their medicinal use of cannabis. It's a viable non toxic treatment option to these horrible diseases.

In my experience, even buds with low levels of CBD can be a viable option, but it takes a while for the CBD to build up in your system (1-2 months of daily intake). I haven't had access to high CBD oil/tincture till recently, but it's really wonderful for my symptoms. Calms my gut and my nerves.

I'd really rather not be dependent on medication, but at this point that isn't an option. The side effects of cannabis (ingested/sublingual) are nothing compared to prednisone and other IBD medications. I feel that doctors don't take it seriously because they think we're all smoking it....I'll admit that I have smoked it in the past but tincture/ingested is much healthier and more efficient.

My gut was killing me this morning and a few drops of CBD tincture under my tongue has made it disappear within 1 hour.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really passionate about this stuff. It's a crime that our doctors aren't more open to alternative options.

Hope you can find some relief, Bobbyearle. I'll be following your blog. Good luck :ybiggrin:

Sulphasalzine causes colitis. I'll never take it again. I am also done being a guinea pig fr gastroenterology specialists. I'll take something after its been used on humans for 20+ years. I'd be dead if I would have accepted humira. I was getting terrible infections on Imuran and 6mp. Some with those too. I'd rather live and die by my own decisions, no
Matter the outcome, than die because of my doctors choices. I am truly free, and healthier than I was before diagnosis.

With respect to motions and inflammatory markers I seem to be doing fine, but I periodically get days upon days of pain unresponsive to all the normal pain meds. I can't sleep when this happens. Between times I feel fine. We keep toying with doing surgery, but if i could only deal with these periods of pain I could put off that day. Anyone find canaboids useful for this sort of pain?

Anyone know if medical canaboids are available in Ireland?

Thanks
S

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
With respect to motions and inflammatory markers I seem to be doing fine, but I periodically get days upon days of pain unresponsive to all the normal pain meds. I can't sleep when this happens. Between times I feel fine. We keep toying with doing surgery, but if i could only deal with these periods of pain I could put off that day. Anyone find canaboids useful for this sort of pain?

Anyone know if medical canaboids are available in Ireland?

Thanks
S
I know JohnnyO already stated it, but if your doctor is skeptical just print this out and show it to him.

Use of cannabinoids as anti-inflammatory agents

Abstract

The application relates to the identification that cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol can be used to treat inflammatory diseases. Cannabinoids for use in treating inflammatory diseases, methods of treating inflammatory diseases and cannabinoids in combination with pharmaceutically acceptable carriers are claimed.

Patent 6410588

The doctors know it works. They are just hesitant to prescribe it for some reason. My two cents, good luck

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I should add that since I started using my tincture/oil my flare has been reduced....solid stuff is starting to come out again :rof: My fatigue has been greatly reduced, i've actually worked out 3 days in a row :dance: The chronic pain is still there, but I can deal with pain. It's the fatigue that really gets to me.

Hopefully this gradual improvement can continue until I'm back into remission.

I found out I had UC today (pancolitis). Apparently, colonoscopies don't lie. I'm not sure, I didn't get to ask the camera anything. I was just too mesmerized by the awesome show on TV. I don't watch much Reality TV you know, so this was exciting for me.

I started an Accutane treatment in January and started getting GI issues in March. By June, it had gotten pretty bad so I decided to consult. Fast forward five months later, tada, we have a diagnosis! My brand spanking new doctor tells me Accutane has recently been linked with the ability to bring out the disease in genetically predisposed people. There have been a couple multi-million dollar judgments against them in the US as a cause of IBD. I'm in Canada, so I don't care much for those cases and just chill out with my maple syrup. I just thought the timing made sense.

In any case, what brought me here (I just realized it took me two paragraphs to get to my point...) is that while I was reading other posts on these boards, one of them mentioned medical marijuana. I live somewhere where it's decriminalized, in a way. So long you don't look like you intend on selling, no cop will arrest you or give you trouble. It's weird, but it's part of our culture and it's not as stigmatized, so easy to get. And quality stuff, too.

I started vaporizing daily a month after my GI issues started. I wasn't sleeping well, and nothing like a nice vaporizing session helps me sleep like a baby. Months before that I used to do it once a week, usually on the week-end, to relax. Because I did so great on it I never questioned stopping so kept going. In August I had concentration issues and I feared my marijuana habit might have somehow been responsible, so weened off of it in a week and then stopped for a whole month to give those cannabinoid receptors a long spring break.

In about two weeks I experienced the worse cramps and the most amount of blood in my stool I had ever seen. I was still waiting for an appointment with endoscopy from my clinic visit, but went to the ER anyway because I was worried. They gave me Pantoloc and sent me home. In September I took up the habit again because sleep issues had returned, and the mind numbing cramps disappeared. I didn't see or think of any correlation back then because the most probable Dx according to the ER doc was an ulcer (hence the Pantoloc).

Until today as I read your testimonies. The contrast is stark. The timing definitely fits and I might just redo the experiment again to see if it holds up. I know a sample of one means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it only has to work for me to be relevant in my case.

I have smoked it very few times (I find the smoke too harsh) and cannot stand cigarettes, but vaporizing is a real bliss. I can see no real cons.

I make killer brownies so will research butter making recipes (the slow cook method I heard mentioned a few times looks like a good match) and try the edible route and see if it improves the experience over vaporizing.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories, it brought an epiphany and I am thankful for your honesty.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I found out I had UC today (pancolitis). Apparently, colonoscopies don't lie. I'm not sure, I didn't get to ask the camera anything. I was just too mesmerized by the awesome show on TV. I don't watch much Reality TV you know, so this was exciting for me.

I started an Accutane treatment in January and started getting GI issues in March. By June, it had gotten pretty bad so I decided to consult. Fast forward five months later, tada, we have a diagnosis! My brand spanking new doctor tells me Accutane has recently been linked with the ability to bring out the disease in genetically predisposed people. There have been a couple multi-million dollar judgments against them in the US as a cause of IBD. I'm in Canada, so I don't care much for those cases and just chill out with my maple syrup. I just thought the timing made sense.

In any case, what brought me here (I just realized it took me two paragraphs to get to my point...) is that while I was reading other posts on these boards, one of them mentioned medical marijuana. I live somewhere where it's decriminalized, in a way. So long you don't look like you intend on selling, no cop will arrest you or give you trouble. It's weird, but it's part of our culture and it's not as stigmatized, so easy to get. And quality stuff, too.

I started vaporizing daily a month after my GI issues started. I wasn't sleeping well, and nothing like a nice vaporizing session helps me sleep like a baby. Months before that I used to do it once a week, usually on the week-end, to relax. Because I did so great on it I never questioned stopping so kept going. In August I had concentration issues and I feared my marijuana habit might have somehow been responsible, so weened off of it in a week and then stopped for a whole month to give those cannabinoid receptors a long spring break.

In about two weeks I experienced the worse cramps and the most amount of blood in my stool I had ever seen. I was still waiting for an appointment with endoscopy from my clinic visit, but went to the ER anyway because I was worried. They gave me Pantoloc and sent me home. In September I took up the habit again because sleep issues had returned, and the mind numbing cramps disappeared. I didn't see or think of any correlation back then because the most probable Dx according to the ER doc was an ulcer (hence the Pantoloc).

Until today as I read your testimonies. The contrast is stark. The timing definitely fits and I might just redo the experiment again to see if it holds up. I know a sample of one means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it only has to work for me to be relevant in my case.

I have smoked it very few times (I find the smoke too harsh) and cannot stand cigarettes, but vaporizing is a real bliss. I can see no real cons.

I make killer brownies so will research butter making recipes (the slow cook method I heard mentioned a few times looks like a good match) and try the edible route and see if it improves the experience over vaporizing.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories, it brought an epiphany and I am thankful for your honesty.
Every positive testimony is a step in the right direction. Every time i've halted my cannabis use, i've flared. Glad to hear other people are having success with this controversial (but effective!) method.:ybiggrin:

It's like clockwork...you said you experienced a return in symptoms after two weeks of halting your use and the same happened to me. I've had problems returning to my "habit" because cannabis gives me anxiety now and it never did before. At this point in my life, it's a catch 22. It helps my UC symptoms immensely, but it really puts me on edge. I'd rather be a little on edge than on the toilet 15 times a day :lol2: Like a lot of other medications, the negative effects of cannabis usually disappear once tolerance builds.

Thanks for your story, Francis. Good luck and good health to you!

It's better to daily use cannabis, than once in a while. Once you have tolerance you can deal with everything while having smoked weed. I haven't had a flare up in a long while now. It relieves my stress, which can cause me a flare up, and works as a pain killer. When having smoked pot, also my appetite increases which I don't always have when having pain. Would I believe this three years ago? No. But it works for me.

Sticking my neck out here as it is illegal in France. However, maybe the mature middle class white guys should put themselves on the line where others are more vulnerable. I am retired so cannot lose my business.

It helps big time. It is the only thing for me which controls nausea, enables me to eat well and control weight loss, even so I have gone from skinny fit to skeletal. I am on Humira which makes a big difference but I would go for oil if available. Can't even discuss this with the docs, though I will try to find out if sativex is available as it is for MS patients in some European countries.

Vaporizing is good if you have the patience. Don' buy on the street, could be anything. Plenty of Internet companies in Netherlands send people seeds discreetly but it would be illegal to grow here even for personal use.

It is becoming time to have the courage to speak out. Felt ill all afternoon but I am about to vape something which will relax me and get me to actually enjoy the roast chicken my lovely and supportive wife is cooking. Then I will sleep well and have the morning energy to get her to the airport to go see her 92 year old cancer patient dad in England.

We use all our mental and physical resources to deal with it all and it pisses me off that an item which can help is legally unavailable. My wife who never touched it in her life agrees.

Marijuana is wonderful. It doesn't really "heal" me but it sure makes the ride a little less bumpy. I wish I had started it in the early days of my colitis while I was going though all the anxiety & nausea that sulfasalazine brought on & the "steroidal-induced psychosis" that prednisone gave me.
I don't like to smoke it, but I do. I'd rather have a cookie or something like that. The effects last much longer & are more powerful. But the butter is harder to come by than the buds.

You can make the butter simply enough but the quantity of herb needed is quite high so it's the kind of thing that can be done when a grower harvests the bud and wants to extract more from the top leaves. Or when they find old jars of 2008 need using up. The technique is simple: boil water, butter and herb. Mash and strain herb. Cool then chill the liquid and the magic butter solidifies on top. Use with care.

Thank you. I have perused that already! A lot of it is way over my head.
I used marijuana for my AS symptoms years ago. My wife would ask me, "Is your arthritis bothering you?" & I would answer, "Probably." lol!
But I find that you can't walk through the entire day stoned. You won't get much done. I try now to only use it in the evenings, or when the symptoms are very bad; I wouldn't get much done anyways in that case.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
But I find that you can't walk through the entire day stoned. You won't get much done. I try now to only use it in the evenings, or when the symptoms are very bad; I wouldn't get much done anyways in that case.
Some people can once tolerance builds...but I tend to agree with your statement. The medical effects of cannabis last much longer than the psychoactive effects. A few puffs of hash out of my vaporizer after dinner keeps my gut in check for 24+ hours. I've been experimenting with dosing and I think once you let the cannabinoids build up in your system, you can even switch it up to every other day. :thumright:

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Thank you Area Man and FullM3lt. You bring up interesting points. Hopefully, pharmaceutical companies will design a drug that is effective in the body but does not cross into the brain. This should offer the best of both worlds (effective drug but minimal psychoactive effects). They are working on it now....

However, it appears that THC is not the end of the story. One study suggested that THC accounts for only about 30% of Medical Marijuana's efficacy. Many patients (at least for now) suggest Medical Marijuana offers the greatest benefit for keeping symptoms in check.

Hello All,

Great posts and great information! I have been suffering from Ulcerative Colitis - pan colitis entire colon - for 4 years now. NO medications have worked for me except prednisone and even that only partially. I have even tried experimental medicines and nothing. I am curious now to give medical marijuana a shot and I live in California so it is legal here for medical reasons and I believe Ulcerative Colitis is one of the listed conditions. I have two questions:

(1) For those from California (southern California), who is a good doctor that I can see for obtaining a medical card for this?

(2) Can someone on the post advise me which strain/type in your experience has worked the best? I am not looking for highs, just to feel better and remission.

Thanks so much! Your advice is much appreciated!

I don't know Southern California but that info could probably be found online w/out too much trouble.
I prefer Indica strains, I really can't explain why. I feel like Sativas kind of numb my brain too much. Also, I don't feel like marijuana has cured or even controlled my colitis, only given me some relief from the pain & discomfort associated w/the symptoms. I still need the conventional drugs. Mesalamine worked for me when I could afford it.
At this time I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go back to sulfasalazine, even though it makes me feel like I'm coming out of my skin. I'm going to try it in conjunction w/marijuana to see if the grass will take the edge off. Hey, it might be better than the Xanax they were giving me!

But I find that you can't walk through the entire day stoned.
What I did is take a week off for vacation, stoned myself solid for a week, then the week after that I was able to vaporize 3 times a day without feeling so euphoric or high I could do my job/

Now, people don't even notice anything. Hell, 99% of the people I know don't even know I consume cannabis on a daily basis multiple times a day. But to train your body to be resistant you will need to consume it on a regular (daily) basis for it to affect you only positively.

How much would any form of THC cost? And do I need the leaves to make a tea or food? I'm in FL and have no insurance. Thanks

How much would any form of THC cost? And do I need the leaves to make a tea or food? I'm in FL and have no insurance. Thanks
THC is a molecule, it is produced by the marijuana plant. Easiest way to get it is to buy the plant and then extract it for yourself. MM cost varies greatly and is more expensive in states in which it is illegal or still taboo (I hear Texas is a good example?). In my corner of the world, you should expect to pay between 120-250$/oz of dry manicured buds. Compassion centers may be able to help you out at much cheaper. I am unsure what the status of MM is in Florida, but compassion centers could exist.

The best way is to grow it yourself. This way you can choose exactly which strain of MM plant you want. Some plants have very low THC levels but higher CBD content, which reduces psychoactive effects and still provides pain relieving and anti inflammatory effects. You can grow a single plant very easily, stealthily in a closet for less than 200$ if you go on the cheap. A single plant may yield a few ounces every 3 months or so if you take care of it, ensuring safe, easy and very cheap access to your personal medical marijuana stash.

Once you have it, vaporizing is the safest and easiest way (by far) to get both THC and CBD molecules in your bloodstream. I find I get MORE pain relief both in duration and intensity if I make edibles. This requires making cannabutter first. If you'd like to go that route, I can help you down the line with a step by step process. You will need MM in plant form before though.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Francis, but FL is ZERO tolerance for drugs. I thought I would ask my doctor. Being from Harvard, he may not think much of this. The price is prohibitive too.
Thanks for the info!