• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need some advice - 5 strictures - What is a feeding tube?

I've been suffering with Crohn's for14 years and today I have been told I have 5 strictures in my upper stomach. The consultant explained due to the spread they may not be able to remove them.
He's talking about a feeding tide can any one explain what the process or procedure is for this.
Any input would be much appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
If you are having something placed in that area of the body then you are getting TPN (Total Parental Nutrition).

It is a type of intravenous (vein) therapy and you receive all your nutrition this way.

Why are they doing TPN over EN (tube feeding through the nose)?

Do they think with 5 strictures you won’t absorb well via the bowel? Or are they building you up for surgery?

Dusty. xxx

I don't know dusty. I have far more questions than answers. It was a big shock today. I will be asking more questions when I get home tomorrow.
I'm also going to ask to see a private consultant.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I hope you get good solid answers. Good luck and keep us posted with how you get on. :ghug:

Dusty. xxx

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. I've had both. The TPN was given to me when they wanted complete bowel rest and to build me up.

Sending you my support and best wishes.

I don't know dusty. I have far more questions than answers. It was a big shock today. I will be asking more questions when I get home tomorrow.
I'm also going to ask to see a private consultant.
You might want to consider a referral to either St Marks hospital, Northwick park or UCH. My surgeon at St Marks is professor Phillips, he has saved my life many times.