Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club Support Group

08-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #181
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi, I see in an earlier post, someone mentioned Amyltriptile affected one's cortisol level? Can anyone explain? Also does Amy cause weight gain?
What type of 'bladder problems' does it cause?
I've been on it for about five years now. Originally prescribed for degenerative disc disease, but seems to also help the Crohn's. I'm taking 35mg at bedtine with two Solpadol.
Amitriptyline is actually originally intended as an antidepressant. As an antidepressant it reduces stress, theoretically if one lowers stress you would also lower the natural production of the stress hormone cortisol in our adrenal glands. Cortisol is our natural version of steroids which reduces inflammation among serving other functions. When used as a medication, it is known as hydrocortisone. Too much cortisol causes increased risk of heart attack among many other unpleasant things. So there are two sides to every story. Finding the right balance is what I find so difficult.

Amitriptyline also could cause weight gain as that is a common side effect of most antidepressants, although oddly taking most antidepressants can lead to weight loss as well. Go figure. If a person is taking any type of antidepressant I believe the side effects would be directly dose related(unless you are allergic, then who knows). For that reason small doses are less likely to cause noticeable side effects.

I'm not a doctor, I have however done a lot of research and have spoken with my doctor, who tends to agree with this rationale. I hope this helps.

Last edited by cmack; 08-16-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: clarity
11-21-2017, 01:45 AM   #182
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have now recently been prescribed 50mg of amitriptyline 3 times a day as required, plus 60mg at bedtime. It is due to chronic back pain. It makes me a bit groggy, but it sure makes my back and neck hurt a lot less.
11-21-2017, 04:17 AM   #183
SooBee

My Support Groups:
Thank you; very helpful. Wow, thatís a big dose youíre on. Do you know what the dose would be for its original purpose, depression. I dropped my dose back to 25mg at night, with the aim of getting off it altogether, but my back and neck pain, (I have degenerative disc disease), seems to be getting more painful again, so think I may have to up it again!
11-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #184
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Wow Chris,as SooBee said, that's a lot.But if it works for you then go for it.I'm still on one at bed-time to help with back pain,I have 2 tramadol daily also.But I don't feel it's enough and sometimes have to take a couple of O.T.C.as well.That's what happens when you pretend to the doc.that all's well.SooBee you could Google Ami.for depression,but I expect it will depend on how bad things are, and on you're doc.too.
feel better soon friends.
11-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #185
rrhood1

My Support Groups:
∑ Stelara
Iíve been on amitriptylene for years. Iím currently on 100 mg at bedtime for pain. The drowsy feeling will go away after a couple of weeks. Iíve been on a dose as high as 175 mg for depression. If you have any questions Iíd be glad to answer what I can. Iíve done a lot of research on the drug and as Iíve said Iíve been on it for years.

Dx: Crohns - 2010
Dx: Severe cervical spondylosis/foraminal stenosis, ruptured discs
Dx: Severe lumbar ruptured discs
Dx: thyroid cancer - 2 surgeries - done with
Rx: Remicade, Methotrexate, Lyrica, Butrans patch
Vitamin D, C, B, calcium
11-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #186
SooBee

My Support Groups:
Iíve been on amitriptylene for years. Iím currently on 100 mg at bedtime for pain. The drowsy feeling will go away after a couple of weeks. Iíve been on a dose as high as 175 mg for depression. If you have any questions Iíd be glad to answer what I can. Iíve done a lot of research on the drug and as Iíve said Iíve been on it for years.

I donít suffer from real depression, and even on 35mg at bedtime, I find Iím not as alert as I usually would be, which does make me mildly fed-up! As I said, I think I will have to go back up to the 35mg though as Iím feeling more and more pain. I suppose if 35mg keeps me going I shall have to keep to that dose? It also seems to help keep the Crohnís on an even keel!
11-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #187
rrhood1

My Support Groups:
∑ Stelara
Amitriptylene is a strange drug. It has multiple uses which include:

It enhances the performance of other drugs and makes them works better.
It helps with sleep disorders.
It helps with depression.
It helps with low grade pain for such diseases as fibromyalgia, Crohns, arthritis.

Doseage is determined by your doctor. Iíve heard of people taking 900 mg per day or as low as 10 mg per day. I had a psychiatrist tell me that if youíre using it for pain, you should not go off it entirely - you can decrease it to as low as 10 mg per day for as long as you want and then if you need more you can quickly re-build the level to deal with your pain.
11-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #188
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thank you; very helpful. Wow, thatís a big dose youíre on. Do you know what the dose would be for its original purpose, depression. I dropped my dose back to 25mg at night, with the aim of getting off it altogether, but my back and neck pain, (I have degenerative disc disease), seems to be getting more painful again, so think I may have to up it again!
My doctor said between 200-300mg or so was given for depression. Possibly slightly higher in some extreme cases.
11-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #189
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My back and neck feel a lot better so I will be reducing the dosage back to 60-70mg before bed. It was only to be used at such a high dose when needed for muscle spasms.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club Support Group