• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do people find Buedesonide/Endocort compared with Pred?

Hey,

Ok pred foam is doing nothing, im considering my consultants offer of budesonide. Ive had nightmare experiences with prednisolone, How have you guys found it? Do you still get a moon face and crazy rage? xx

My rage was bizzare. I used to be fine for weeks and then flip when someone changed the tv over or something ridiculous like that. Moon face haha, my brother used to describe the shape of me as an orange on a toothpick with my round face! The worst thing for me was the lack of sleep.

Pred was really bad for me too, get off it asap if your having a bad time. The way i look at it is if thats what its doing to you now, what must it be doing long term.

I had absolutely no side effects at all on budesonide (but it didn't work at all either unfortunately). Others have had some good luck on it though.

hmmmmmm i went on it years ago and from what i remembered it didn't do much but it made my periods REALLY bad!!! Im very sceptical but desperate and I dont want prednisolone I was on it for 5 years!!! God i really did turn itno a nutter it was awful and the worst part was the doctors wouldnt admit it was the pred causing it and that made me feel even worse I was in my teens and didn't know what was going on in my head!! Il only go back on that if its a life or death situation.

Im worried they wont let me try anything else if i dont make an effort and try it as |Ive never got past azathiropene pentasa pred etc

Regular Joe

I'm taking Entocrt EC. I had mild side effects which most of them went away. I'd say it increased my anxiety and introduced some depression until I increased my dosage of Lyrica which eliminated the anxiety and depression. I didn't have increased appetite, or facial swelling, or any other major side effects that stood out.

The Entocort took two weeks before Crohn's symptoms gradually began to go away. It doesn't seem like that strong of a medication, and it's kind of "quiet" when it starts working. But it is working for me.

Astra

Hi Barbie

I was on Pred for 4 months and that was long enuf for me! but I loved it! and I hated it!
I can NOT believe that your docs would let you go for 5 years on Pred!! WTF?
no wonder you don't wanna go back on!
Anyway, I'm on Entocort now, have been on 9mg for a month, now on 6mg for another month, then 3mg for final month. I was promised Humira by my gastro, but he was undermined by his senior who said I couldn't have it til I've tried a 3 month course of Entocort. Of course I was gutted, I'd only just come off the bloody Pred!
So that's the compromise.
I can honestly say, hand on heart, I feel nothing with this Entocort! No weight gain, no insomnia, no moods, no munchies, no moon face etc etc, zilch.
But I have no symptoms of CD neither! Oh, and I'm on Pentasa too.
So give it a whirl, it might work for you too
xxx

I was better on prednisone but flared as soon as I tapered off (maybe too quickly?) I was zippy and gained weight on the pred. Then went on entocort. I had no side effects with entocort. Been off since end of March with virtually no symptoms. Had some stomach irritation probably from the entocort but now on prilosec and (almost afraid to say it) feel basically normal.

Lilly

Pred..... My crohns felt better, I could eat what I wanted..... BUT! I went a small bit crazy. I would cry over stupid things, If i was at a resturant and the waiter forgot to bring me butter for my roll.. I would cry. (WTF!) I had bad insomnia. I found myself mopping the floor at 3am, and then off course I would have to eat something, just because. I changed to Entocort 2 years ago. I have few side effects. I feel very thirsty on it, and seem to drink alot of water. But thats it. I will never ever!! go back to Pred unless it is the only option left for me.

On pred...

Moonface yep!

Munchies and BAD, although we'd call it hamster face because I would the it looked like i was storing found in my cheeks.

Rage... yes however because I didn't let it out, I would end up crying and crying over the trivial things

I don't mind the side affects of taking Pred as long as it's helping you, however if your body becomes dependent on it and not benefitting from it... THEN it sucks!

I think with this disease you kinda have to forget the side affects of treatment because one drug might be a no no for one person but then a miracle drug for another, good luck :)

HAAAAAAAAAAAI always refer to moon face as hampster face lol and the doctor just looks at me like im wierd!!! xx