• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Heya Everyone =]

Hey everyone:)
Nice to find a group of people that suffer from the same disease as some of my family and maybe one day, me.
I'm 15 years old, I don't have Crohn's Disease, but my dad was diagnosed with it at 18. He's had a very bad flare-ups in the past - the last one, 7/8 years ago,resulted in him having septicenmia. He was lucky to survive the 24hours doctors said he had left to live, he then had 2bags on either side of his stomach for his bowl to recover. Luckily he's fine now, but no doubt his next flare-up will come soon. My antie was diagnosed 9years ago, but she only last week had her first operation for Crohn's disease. As it runs in my family (either Crohns or irretable bowl) I know I'll be having either one soon, I'm learning as much as I can so I can be prepared for when it does =]
So yeah, nice to meet you all and, get chattin' soon? :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there welcome! It is good to be aware, but try not to go looking for Crohns as stress can cause aggrivation in everyone. Having said that, whilst it can be a genetic and passed on, you can go along way by looking after yourself. Eat good amounts of fibre, avoid sugar, alcohol and if you smoke quit. Some of this things can trigger. Processed foods seem to be a culprit too. I am glad you are doing what you can to avoid it.

Vitamin D3 and Calcium is very important as Vitamin D3 in adequate amounts will help fight the disease. It is pretty simple, lead a healthy life, be a water drinker goes along way.

I am proud of you are being aware, and being supportive to your dad and Aunt. You are so wecomed here! Good luck and live your life, be happy ok/:ybiggrin:

Astra

Hi Karleigh
and welcome fellow Brit

Such a huge weight on your tiny shoulders darling!
This might NOT happen to you! No-one in both sides of my family have it! I can understand where you're coming from tho with the family connection and wanting to get genned up about it, but a little bit of advice, from an old dinosaur! Stop reading about Crohn's and go out and enjoy your lovely self! Cross that bridge when you come to it!
Of course, feel free to come on here, we'd love to have you on board!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Karleigh and :welcome:

Jett and Joan have given you excellent advice. I think it is a wonderful thing to be educated and informed about this disease particularly as you have family members that are are affected by it. I guess the main thing is not to dwell on the what if's as it may indeed never happen to you even with the presence of a first degree relative, just keep it in perspective.

This is a fabulous place if you want to ask questions, pick up info or to have a laugh. Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty xxx