Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Not certain where to go on from here with an Abscess

03-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #31
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Kancer,

It sounds like there is still an ongoing infection. This is common with fistulas and abscess' and needs to be monitored. I would have your nurse look at it. Usually blood work is needed to check white blood cell count to determine the extent of the infection. I ended up with sepsis from something similar(very serious). Normal wound discharge is not usually green, at least not for me it wasn't. If a wound is healing properly usually it oozes yellowish clear or light pink to light red at times. That is my experience.

Make sure to get answers about this. I would hate for anything to get worse for you.

Best wishes,

cmack
03-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #32
93ILRes

My abscess took about a month to fully heal. Remicade really helped the healing process, I'm not sure if you're on a biologic or not. Another recommendation I have is to check out B-sure anal pads, they're great. They are easy to use and very effective! Look for them on Amazon, they aren't super cheap but I think Amazon gives decent deals on them if you buy them in bulk.
03-31-2017, 06:18 AM   #33
mellyag

My Support Groups:
I would have it monitored. I had an abscess that drained and healed once on it's own and I had a fistula that healed once on it's own but most of the time they have needed surgery.
03-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #34
Kancer

My Support Groups:
I went to the local nurse for dressing and she mentioned the wound is clean and nearly healed but there is still pus coming out of the fistula.

Now my question is could it be possible he prednisone I am taking is making the fistula healing slower? Or at least keeping the drainage going. I have been on 40mg prednisone for nearly 7 weeks (right after the surgery was performed) to control my flare. Currently tapered down to 20mg. Since prednisone lowers WBC, is it possible that this is still draining due to the prednisone.

Plus, it is normal for a fistula to drain pus right? Or should the discharge not be pus? I would honestly appreciate as many feedback as possible. I am a bit worried now
03-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #35
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think things tend to heal slower when you have IBD .

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
03-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #36
Bufford

My Support Groups:
Green discharge is never a good sign. However, as long as it keeps draining freely you should be able to manage it until you see the surgeon. Keep an eye on it until your next appointment.
04-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #37
Kancer

My Support Groups:
Another update guys.. I am not entirely sure if I should be worried or happy. I noticed yesterday that the pus draining decreased greatly and I simply thought it was just the usual of one day having less pus and the next day having a lot.

I woke up this morning and when I did my dressing, I noticed my gauge had no pus at all. Or no discharge for that matter. It was as clean as I put it 12 hours ago. I started inspecting the wound and it seem to have closed a lot. The only thing that worries me is that I can see pus in the middle my wound that won't come off even if I wipe it with a sterile cotton.

I can no longer see the fistula hole so I am either guessing it is going to become another abscess or Azathioprine worked and it has healed? Should I go to a local nurse to get it checked? Just don't feel like doing so as it eats up 1.5 hours of my day. Thanks
04-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #38
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey Kancer,

I would be concerned that it is abscessing. If you are not sure, I think you better get it looked at. I hate how fast this disease can pull nasty tricks on us. I wish you the best bud.

Hoping for the best,

cmack
04-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #39
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree with cmack.

04-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #40
Kancer

My Support Groups:
Got a bit worried I decided to apply pressure on a wound. Very little pus came out but the blockage is gone. I think the pus might have gotten dry and got stuck in the wound as the wound is getting really small.

From what I am told, the surgeons won't do any surgery until June/July since they want to see if Azathioprine would work on the fistula and wait for the MRI results. Will be seeing my surgeon in 3 days.
04-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #41
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Kancer,

I hope all goes well. I'm thinking of you bud.
04-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #42
Kancer

My Support Groups:
Hey guys, Checking in again. Good news. The surgeon did an inspection on the wound and thinks that it is unlikely a fistula. The pus that's coming out of the wound is so mild that she thinks its in the final stages of healing and should completely close up in a week or two. Though she doesn't want to confirm anything until the MRI in june.
04-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #43
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear

04-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #44
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm happy for you. Best of luck my friend.
04-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #45
Kancer

My Support Groups:
I had a large abscess, and it took 3 1/2 months for it to heal completely. I think we heal slower with Crohn's. Protein is necessary in healing, you could try upping your protein intake.
Tuff, I need your input on this please. I am just short of 3 months since my abscess surgery and I am still having pus coming out of the wound. It is no longer really a wound as it has stopped healing now. Pretty much no changes in size of wound. Some days there is little pus despite squeezing the wound or applying pressure and some days theres a considerable amount of pus.

The surgeon said it doesn't seem like fistula 2 weeks ago. I am getting a bit agitated now having to put the gauze every day and after every f*#king bowel movement. I just want to stitch this hold shut....

So my question is when you mentioned it took you 3.5 months to heal, were you having pus for this entire period and eventually decreased or "HEALED" as in for the wound to close but still very little drainage.
04-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #46
Tuff

My Support Groups:
I had a very large horseshoe abscess, but it did not drain very much. It was just so big that it took a long time to close from the inside out.
How large is your wound now? It should be getting smaller if it's healing. I wonder if antibiotics would help, or maybe it does have a fistula hole in it that is draining. The MRI should show if there is one.
04-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #47
Tuff

My Support Groups:
You should not open or squeeze an abscess yourself. This can make the infection worse.
04-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #48
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You should not open or squeeze an abscess yourself. This can make the infection worse.
I agree, that sounds kind of dangerous. I think it is hard to tell which way you are squeezing. You could be pushing bad stuff back in, or even sideways. I wouldn't do it.
04-28-2017, 04:33 AM   #49
Kancer

My Support Groups:
This is the best way I can describe my wound. It is much smaller than what it was right after surgery. In terms of how big of a hole is left, I would say its almost non existant. Maybe 1mm. However the weird bit is that I can still see my flesh bulging out and the skin is not covering. The skin healing has stopped for a while whereas the flesh has mostly healed except for a small opening where the pus is coming out out.

As for squeezing, I believe getting the pus out is healthy? I am not squeezing as in the typical acne squeeze. I apply pressure to the sides of the wound (like pressing my buttock fat) and it just comes out. I can confirm it is pus as the ER Doc confirms it.

At this stage, I am glad I still have an opening as I don't want to deal with another abscess. My guess is that it might be a fistula? Any opinions?
04-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #50
Tuff

My Support Groups:
I still wouldn't squeeze it. You could get sepsis. It could be a fistula, in which case you don't want it to close, or you'd get another abscess. They would probably put in a seton to keep it open.
04-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #51
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Kancer,

I'm not sure, but it kind of sounds like a small fistula. I think you might need a seton of some sort. We seem to always get stuck choosing the lesser of two evils. I feel for you.

My setons helped greatly and I eventually healed up. I have had all kinds of the setons, they were all annoying but the cutting ones produced the best results.

I wish you the best buddy, talk to me any time,

cmack

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Not certain where to go on from here with an Abscess