• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Your "Naughty" Food

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
What is the food item that no matter what symptoms it causes after you still eat?

For me, I could not stop eating wheat thins. Even though they had whole wheat and would cause cramping, I could not stop myself :). I actually have not had them again since out of the hospital, and think I will try and avoid them for now. Even when I can have them later, I think I will avoid them. I do not want to become addicted again :).

R

ReeRee

Oh I have SO many of these! The biggest one being PIZZA! With EXTRA cheese! MMMmmmmmMMMMM!! The other one is Popcorn :eek: !! Red beans & Rice, but you can't be from Louisiana and not eat red beans & rice, it's blasphemy.

M

Mozam

My ex girlfriend used to make a mean Chick Pea curry - having an ileostomy meant that eating chick peas could sometimes be dangerous! Lump the little banditos into a Jalfrezi sauce, and you're talking suicide! But god, it was good!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
How many of you also after eating that food have thoughts of "never will I do this again" only to find yourself in that same situation again and again and again :).

M

Mozam

Guilty as charged your honour! I am that soldier! I aint moving back in with her though, hell no, I'll just have to learn to cook it myself - or find another girl!

R

ReeRee

LMAO @ Mozam!!! You slay me!

Yep, I've eaten popcorn and later, while praying to the porcelain gods, I've sworn I'll never eat it again. But I always do.

Another food i just thought of. I can't say no to my dad's Potato Gravy. I puke for a week afterward and hurt so bad I want to kill somebody, but I always eat it again. That's good stuff!

R

ReeRee

Oh, Mozam, learn to cook. It's less dangerous and much less expensive.

M

Mozam

I value my eyebrows too much - I'm sick of burning them off. I've got the local fire house on speed dial, just in case I decide to get creative in the kitchen.

J

Janet

Cheesesteaks. Tuesday is double stamp day and knowing that everytime I go I'm that much closer to my free 10 incher makes it all worth while.

D

Donna

My food that really bugs me is Chocolate. And this coming from a sworn choco-holic! I eat it anyway, but then spend the very next day wondering why I am bleeding again! I also say don't eat it again! But then PMS comes around and if I don't eat a smidgen of it, my I don't see my hubby for a few days! (He has since bought me the lil bars of chocolate so he can come home...lol).

D

Donna

Oh yeah, and sometimes, but not always, anything that is sugary, like juice. I loved OJ every morning, but can't drink it anymore. It makes me cramp and have severe diarhea for a few days. (Not that that matters since I have had diarhea every day since 2002!). Funny how I can stay away from OJ but not chocolate!

R

ReeRee

Thank God above chocolate doesn't bother me! I'd really jump off a bridge. I can't live without my chocolate!

C

ChicagoCrohns

my FABULOUS boyfreind makes chocolate ice cream with honey! No sugar. It's delicious!!!

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
For me, my "naughty food" would probably be either really good buffalo wings or something deep fried like Long John Silvers anything or fried fish from Cracker Barrell.

Red beans & Rice, but you can't be from Louisiana and not eat red beans & rice, it's blasphemy.[/QUOTE]
Definitely I love my good ol' red beans and rice. It only makes me gassy but I guess the beans will do that to ya. Oh tomorrow I am going to Popeye's I am sooo happy. I love Popeye's but they are not too prevelent in the North East.

Jeff

S

ScottMan

Cashewwwwws! The pain as they pass through my system has become part of the experience of enjoying them. "Mmmmm *crunch crunch* this is going to hurt later but mmmmm. *crunch crunch*"

I have a very bad weakness for kung poa chicken. bad part about it is its a double wammy to my stomach. its really spicy and has peanuts in it. but i cant get enough. I always pay for it about an hour later, and I swear ill never eat it again but i always find my self a week or two later getting it again. :p

R

ReeRee

. "Mmmmm *crunch crunch* this is going to hurt later but mmmmm. *crunch crunch*"
Ahahahaha!! That sounds like me eating pizza! HAHAHhaha!

N

ncgirl

I'd have to agree with ReeRee. Pizza with extra greasy cheese is my favorite!!! Now I'm wishing I hadn't checked this thread out, I'm wanting some naughty foods now!!!

For me it is Snickers bars....I crave them. But the peanuts and the chocolate send me running for the bathroom. Yet whenever I am standing in line at the grocery store one of this candy bars magically puts itself in my cart. I end up eating it on the way home and then run from the car to the bathroom. I swear everytime that I will not eat another Snickers bar only to do it again the next week.

Marcia

J

Jenni

mine is definately popcorn. and french fries. ahhh french fries r the worst but they r so good gosh. but yeah i really am not supposed to have popcorn wen im on food restrictions actually thats the one thing the dr said i CANNOT have. but i cant help it! ahhh for one thing i am totally stubborn and if u tell me not to do something i cant help but want to do it..hehe usually i can resist tho. but sometiems if i go to the movies with my friends and they have that wonderful buttered popcorn at first im like Ok i can do this! and then im like no! i cant!!!! ahh its awful! lol

S

scottishgirl

chinese food, i love it but it kills me, doesnt stop me though lol

V

Valentina

anything with cheese. mmmmmm
and greese, so yummy cheeseburgers.....
and popcorn. oh, and gin... lol

J

Jonny

Hmmm KFC mmmmmmmmmmm and Chinese--Special fried rice and Chocolate Mars Bars..Cant resist them.popcorn too..A mars a day helsp you work rest and play..seee its good for you teehee

M

Mickeyg

Ben & Jerry's "Anything but..." ice cream - can't stop eating it and White chocolate Mocha lattes!

B

boneyboy

I'm gonna have to be lame here and say a salad or fresh fruit. They're one of the few things I really can't/shouldn't have now, and I absolutely love fresh veggies and fruits. My inner health nut looks like an ethernopian...

J

JennaBean1714

Buffalo Hot wings or popcorn :) They are so addicting! I mainly only eat them at home though so I don't have to deal with the consequences in public.

Kev

Naughty foods! Ah, gawd, how I miss them. I make a 5 alarm Chili that would melt
the pot. And a 3 cheese lasagna (mozzarella, ricotta, and jack). 7 hour homemade beans with fresh baked bread... And a cinnamon chocolate cake made with plenty of real buttermilk. That's one of the downfalls of IBD... I not only miss eating this stuff, but I really miss cooking. Even just a nice, big, greasy pizza with the works, washed down with a cold beer.... Aaarrrghh. I gotta get me some anti-depressants and fast

A

andilynn09

Still trying to get into remission for more than a week or two at a time, so i haven't tried incorporating all my old foods back into my diet yet....so far lettuce (just a few bites) and black beans both did me in. I, too, never thought i would miss things like salad so much. Haven't ventured to try popcorn again yet....but boy is it tempting when the girls at work are popping it!

T

Tia

When my crohn's is active all foods are bad foods and they all cause me pain. When things clear up somewhat i love to eat fresh fruit and veggies, ceasar salad (which can really cause me problems!). I eat what I want when I want, but sometimes I do pay the price!

Tia

B

btcrv

I no longer have any diet restrictions !
:yoshijumpjoy: :mario2: :luigi:

All it took was getting a foot of my intestines cut out :)

M

Micheladelfina

One word: SALAD

SALAD!!! And not the wimpy lettuce-tomato-onion variety. I'm talking Cheesecake Factory (I hate cheesecake, but they have the most fabulous salads) I-must-be-on-a-suicide-mission salads with about 20 different ingredients. I dream about it almost nightly. I haven't caved in to the urge in about three years. I need to stop thinking about this now.
Oh, and berries. Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries. And granola. Oh, and kiwis.

M

Micheladelfina

This is not lame. Forget chocolate and popcorn. Have you ever tried the salads at The Cheesecake Factory? To Die For. Definitely a suicide mission for anyone with IBD. I love them.

Its funny how some things effect some people and not others. I cannot eat any pork , but i love a nice grilled brat with onion or a sausage gravy. Bacon Bacon Bacon!! It literally kills me along with most of what the rest of you all have said. I dont have a problem with cashews or red beans and rice!!

L

leonghoward

Doritos

nothing like relaxing with a bag of Doritos and a Coke.:ytongue:

Oh, so many things! I'm another Louisiana gal (raised just outside fo New Orleans,) and really miss spicy foods. Sometimes I go crazy & make a big pot of jambalaya or sauce picante, but I end up eating a little & giving the rest away to friends and neighbors. Chcolate is the one I can't resist, but it gives me horrible, double-over-in-pain heartburn and cramps. I eat it anyway, siiiiiiiiigh, because what's life without chocolate? And anything fatty or fried, and veggies or fruits that aren't reduced to pulp before consumption, anything acidic.

But, you know ... somtimes you just gotta! :ybatty:

D

davyb

ReeRee said:
Oh I have SO many of these! The biggest one being PIZZA! With EXTRA cheese! MMMmmmmmMMMMM!!

Sounds like myself, i love pizza even though its like a 50% chance that its coming back up

W

wi_girl

There are many,
Berries,popcorn,absolutly anything greasy,o.j.,honey roasted nuts,cappacino(i know its a drink but i love it even if it makes me double over in pain),steak,raw carrots,and cereal.I dont know why but everytime I eat any kind of cereal I hurt and feel sick.

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

only because it causes problems for my ileostomy not crohns i avoid
sweetcorn,
nuts,
mushrooms,
popcorn and fruit and veg skins ((hugs))

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
This thread really made me laugh!

Anything with tomatoes in, onion, deep fried foods (drat love southern fried chicken and fish and chips!) apples - oh boy apples finish me, curry and I think I have a problem with milk ggrrrr. Course its more fun to be norty aint it!

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
:lol2: New naughty food -- kaluha & milk (can't hurt me if it's mixed with alcohol, right?) I know, not too often . . . The rest of the time I go for Bloody Mary's because I need my servings of vegetables! Go V-8! Oh, and in the evening, tea & brandy with Chamomile tea. Good for the tummy and for sleepies! Jeez, do I drink that much? Oops, TMI moment here. Sorry! :lol2:

K

kieran

i miss ice-cream and steak and chips covered with pepperd sauce yummy!!!

I would have to say homemade beans,I love them.I sneak them every once in awhile through. I can handle pizza in small quanties every once in awhile
:pika: :pika:

R

ruthymg

oh where do I start. I'm not a huge junk food fan but every now and then I love southern fried chicken and I always pay the price, alcohol, I am unable to not have the occasional glass or two of wine, whether I suffer or not!!
Jelly sweets, I just love them and they give me terrible tummy ache and bloating, I always regret having them but it doesn't stop me.
I can't think of any others right now, but there are plenty more.

Ruth

M

Megatron

Cheese... of all kinds. My favourite is camembert. The smellier the better. I smother it all over a baguette.

Onions as well! I love caramelised onions on eveything.

boneyboy I have to agree with you on the fresh fruit and veg... especcially living in central London, a fruit salad is the quickest thing I can grab on my lunch break that isn't totally fattening. I miss eating healthily!!!!

S

SoccerMom

I LOVE popcorn & have to indulge about once a month even though I get sick for like 3 days. Even when I am stuffing it in I regret it ,but can`t seem to care :)

I had popcorn for the first time since my surgery over the holidays. I wish I had the "guts"(pun intended) to eat cashews.

T

tehandehness

My biggest weakness is mums turkey chili. Next is prolly Chinese food, and then steak....mmmmm....*drool*

F

frankbongo

black pudding mmmmm - it's so bad for I have to save it for special occasions or when I need to teach my guts a lesson.

:sign0144:

T

Teenie

It'a a tossup between cheesesteak and pizza. Even better a cheesesteak pizza. Yum!

Milk is the only thing that seems to digest poorly. There is nothing I avoid because of my disease other than sugar and soft drinks. I try to stay away from these because they have no food value and are generally unhealthy.

I really like Bacon and Ham. I eat way to much when we have it around. If it come off a pig, odds are I like it.

Say, what is Black Pudding? Maybe I will make some.

D Bergy

H

HostileJava

Mine is pretty much any fast food like pizza, cheeseburgers, taco's, long john silvers fish, etc. I would live on the stuff if I could and probably gain some wait while I was at it, but I can't take more then one or two meals like that a week. I always promise myself I won't do that again. But I can't stay away.

ReeRee said:
Oh I have SO many of these! The biggest one being PIZZA! With EXTRA cheese! MMMmmmmmMMMMM!! The other one is Popcorn :eek: !! Red beans & Rice, but you can't be from Louisiana and not eat red beans & rice, it's blasphemy.
I agree with all the foods you have just mentioned and soooooo many more, I could probably go on for days, but I definitely would go for a pizza or popcorn totally smothered in butter. Red beans and rice has to be on the menu in heaven right?

J

Jfrank

For me its just way too many foods. I love popcorn! Also salad and fruit (especially in warm weather), Frozen Yogurt, Cheese, Pizza, Marinara sauce, burgers, hot dogs ........ I'm on a very bland diet right now and my mouth is salivating at the thought of any of these foods. I have given up hot dogs for good but i hopefully will be able to bring back the other foods into my diet once i'm feeling better! Well thats a lie i can never have that much dairy due to lactose problems which sucks because i love cheese!!!

C

Clair

Laughing too much!

this has been way too funny and has managed to completely cheer me up! yay!!
I don't think for my own sanity that I could give up the odd glass of wine, chilling with friends at the end of the week or after a game of golf, it wouldn't be polite if I declined to drink!!! (my excuse and I am sticking to it)
I miss cheese though....all kinds of cheese, the stinkier and runnier the better though I have found if I cook with fresh buffalo mozzarella it is not too bad.
As to black pudding....do you really want to know? I assure you it is not very nice, it is a traditional dish from the midlands area of England (the area is called the black country for a reason...) and it is made of pigs blood, that is solidified and then sliced and fried, well, you asked......(apologies to all other readers who are running to the bathroom)

Correction: I will Not be having any Black Pudding.

While I love pork and most any thing else off of a pig, I do not think I could stomach "Pig Blood Pudding".

D Bergy

ive only recently been diagnosed,and this is the first food that i have found that kinda disagrees with me - tuna. I think the reason i have a slight problem with it is because i mix it with vinegar

D

deanhp

I have an addiction to Carnitas Burritos. I do get somewhat of a stomach ache from them. but its not too bad actually. But I swear Im addicted to them. I eat them almost a few times a week. But one thing I learned is never to eat beans. so everytime I order any mexican food its without beans, and it makes a huge difference I tell you. Also hot sauce causes stomach aches too Ive noticed. less is always better.

Oh, so many... There are some days when I am like, "Screw you," to my body, and I just eat whatever I feel like because I'm mad at my intestines. And then I regret it afterward. :)

McDonalds, and bacon are up there. I have them pretty often even though they're not that good even for healthy people. =X Then again, I don't think my intestines absorb anything anyway...I see french fries floating around in the toilet water when I get McDonalds. I guess that's pretty gross, because it means I am somehow not chewing my fries completely either, if the shape is that distinguishable. :ylol2:

Hmm, what else? Most fast food besides McDonalds. Cape Cod potato chips. Actually, anything fried at that. Various kinds of candy. Any kind of Chinese food, even gently steamed rice for some reason. Ice cream. Milk. Actually, just dairy in general. Most kinds of meat. Wheat products; must be white. Many types of veggies.

I guess a lot irritates me, so I have a lot of naughty foods.

Pizza!!!!!!! I Went About 3 Years With Out Eatting It. Then I Got Pregnant And Was Able To Eat It With No Problem Since Then Its A Weekly Treat To My Self. Oh And Grapes Omg They Kill Me But Lord I Can Eat Them In Bowl Fulls

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
hungry howies ham and cheese sub without lettuce and tomato and LOTS of extra sub sauce!!! its heaven i sware i would do almost anything for one lol!

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
So the other night, my hubby and I went to a restaurant, and I guess I decided to torture myself - I ate four of my top worst don't-eat-these-under-any-circumstances foods. I had onion rings, spicy fries, salad, and carrots - BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ybatty:
My husband was laughing at me the whole time, saying "I don't know why you do this to yourself..." :ylol2:
Ya know what? Neither do I :lol:

too many to mention seems like anything triggers it lately but frontrunners are popcorn,pizza,lettuce,cake,onions and chicken wings. it seems like if I don't take a Zegerid before i go to bed i will wakeup throwing up in my mouth. Does anyone else do that

V

Veritas0Aequitas

Not sure if it's naughty but I love dark chocolate!

mmm, well, after fasting for the colonoscopy prep, all i could think about was what i was going to eat afterwards! we stopped for some hamburgers and onion rings at a & w on the way home... YUM!
(i hadn't had any beef for over a year, so i would say anything beef is a 'naughty' food for me...)

L

ltdan1018

corn, every time i eat it, the day after i feel terrible, but my grandma makes sweet corn and sometimes i eat it without thinking

my number one dare-not-ever-unless-its-a-REALLY-special-circumstance food would be eggs. I love eggs! i can eat them in stuff like french toast or baked goods no problem... but oh god how i miss eggs benedict.... omelettes! i still cook my boyfriend delicious omelettes so i can have a bite.

It really sucks being a really good cook who loves food and cooking food and buying food and thinking about what i'm going to cook next and then what i'll make for dessert after that when you have to watch what you eat.

BUT it makes life interesting when i have to be creative and find incredibly satisfying alternatives. for example:

berries- i just puree them and strain out the seeds then i can eat SMOOTHIES which is how i get my fresh fruit satisfaction. (the first time i got out of the hospital, a friend of mine spent an hour plucking every seed out of a strawberry for me to eat without repercussion, thats where i got the idea)

i recently switched from milk to soymilk because i drink a lot of milk and suffer a lot of bloating for it and i feel wonderful!
i could never give up cheese though

i will avoid popcorn at any cost, as well as fast food, and now i'm working on cutting out the junkfood.

i'm hoping to eventually phase out absolutely everything processed.. just once i get rid of everything there is in the house :D lol

theres one thing i would never, ever even consider giving up even if they told me I would die if i ate another and that would be SAUSAGE..... droool