• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bowel prep while bleeding?!?

Ugh, I have had several colonoscopies in the past, but this is the first time I will have one while in a flare. I have been bleeding for 3 days. I am on liquids now, and don't drink my first prep for another 6 hours. (I have had two Gatorade drinks this morning and I am already in pain--Diarrhea with blood this morning already) I'm worried that the prep will cause more bleeding!! :sign0085:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
You might want to call either your GI or the hospital/clinic that's doing the colonoscopy and ask their opinion. My guess is that they will tell you to keep an eye on the bleeding, and to go to the ER if you experience anything like dizziness, light-headedness, etc. But that's just my guess - it's best to call them and make sure it's okay to proceed with the prep. Good luck! I hope all goes as smoothly as possible.

Thanks Cat-a-Tonic....GI knows! :( I just saw him yesterday and he told them to schedule me ASAP for the scope. He wants to catch me in an active bleed to find the exact spot of my issues. I'm just scared.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I've had bleeding off and on myself so I know that it's scary, but it sounds like this is for the best so that your GI can see exactly what's going on and will then be able to treat it effectively. Hopefully everything will be fine. Like I said, it probably is best to go to the ER if you have so much bleeding that you get dizzy/light-headed. As long as you stay hydrated and don't get light-headed, I think you'll be okay. Take care!

Ugh, I have had several colonoscopies in the past, but this is the first time I will have one while in a flare. I have been bleeding for 3 days. I am on liquids now, and don't drink my first prep for another 6 hours. (I have had two Gatorade drinks this morning and I am already in pain--Diarrhea with blood this morning already) I'm worried that the prep will cause more bleeding!! :sign0085:
Just had my colonoscopy this morning. I hope you are able to continue without too much of a problem and the bleeding stops. The prep is definitely not fun, but I feel so much better now that it's over. Best of luck to you.

Sending support

i didnt think it was possible to do colonoscopy while bleeding. but u know the logic behind doing it while actively bleeding does make sense. at least to a lay person .. then again to do a scopy could create tears in the already exsisting ulceration. its a crap shoot, excuse the pun. why clean out the bowel, erase evidence that would lead to the source. I just dont understand that logic!!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
i didnt think it was possible to do colonoscopy while bleeding. but u know the logic behind doing it while actively bleeding does make sense. at least to a lay person .. then again to do a scopy could create tears in the already exsisting ulceration. its a crap shoot, excuse the pun. why clean out the bowel, erase evidence that would lead to the source. I just dont understand that logic!!
A scope can definitely be done when flaring/bleeding...been there, done that many a time!