• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Impotence and diet

impotence and diet

1. hey, i heard crohns can bring on impotence in males, is this true?
2. also, as for diet, what do people eat that doesnt cause any pain?

I think the impotency is more of a mental issue than a physical one, personally. Because one can become anxious about the state their body is in, it can affect their performance.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
1. I haven't heard that.

2. It varies from person to person as to what they can and can't eat. For example, I can eat pasta sauce, beef, and veggies (cooked) without much of a problem. But for many, these are no-no's. You need to figure out what your safe foods are. I suggest keeping a food diary. Record what you eat and your symtpoms. You'll eventually see patterns of what upsets your stomach. But if you want to play it safe - stick to a low-res diet such as baked/grilled chicken, rice and potatoes.

the guy next to me in hospital said he couldnt get it up, he also had crohns. i was scared as im getting married shortly and were planning to have kids. he said it started after his symptoms got bad. i hope nothing like this happens to me. he uses some drug to help him but i hate taking medicine for anything

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
1) Two part answer
a)Prednisone can cause issues as it is a steroid which is converted into a hormone in the body, because you now have extra hormones circulating your body will decrease your regular hormone production which lower your testosterone. That can manifest as a low sex drive and/or ED. After you've been on it for a bit your doctor can order a blood test to check it out.
This generally should't be a major problem unless you are long term and you're prednisone dependent. If you want to go the natural route you can take up exercising or weight lifting. Both will naturally raise your testosterone count; weight lifting will also help reduce the loss of muscle mass caused by long term pred use. Even if you ignore your core and just focus on the glamour muscle it will help. Or you can get your doc to write you a script for it.

b) Sulfasalazine can cause issues with sperm production. There has been some concern if Mesasalazine causes the same issues because it is a very similar drug. The general consensus is no, because they are pretty sure it is the Sulfa- part that causes the problems and Mesasalzine doesn't have that.

2) there are lots of threads they started a giant thread here, take a look through that to give you some ideas.

And finally I do not consider myself a reliable source for information on any subject, double check with your doctor for confirmation.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I read somewhere, that soy can cause impotency in men, since most of us cant tolerate dairy. But as a whole, everyone differs and the age and meds taken could cause it. Alot of people have a low libido too. Just saying. ;)