Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Highest dose of Humira?

07-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
Highest dose of Humira?

Anyone on a dose higher than one injection/ week?

I tend to process medication pretty quick and have a higher than average BMI. on it specifically to heal fistulas and apparently higher levels are needed for that. Was on Humira weekly before and it didnít do anything. Adding to Entyvio this time around and really hoping for some results.
07-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ds was on a humira shot every 5 days for about a year till it stopped working
He was then switched to Stelara
He takes that at 90 mg every 28 days
07-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My kiddo was on Entyvio and another biologic for a while. She has always needed a higher dose than normal of ANY biologic she has been on.

For Humira, which she was on a couple years ago, she was on 40 mg every 6 days. I don't know why she needed more Humira because she was very underweight at the time, but she did. But I think have seen on the forum members saying they are on 80 mg per week.

The combination of Entyvio and another biologic did not work well for my daughter - she got drug-induced Lupus from it but that is very rare apparently. But she does not have fistulas - she just needed a different biologic for her AS and her IBD.
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
07-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
Thanks! I am going to see my GI next week. They've never monitored drug levels for me before, but I think that is the plan this time. I have always also needed more - doing monthly Entyvio and did monthly Remicade by the end of that too.

I will do pretty much anything to get these fistulas closed at this point.
07-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #5
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My daughter also tried high dose Remicade - would that be an option for you? She went up to 20 mg/kg every 4 weeks. It was a VERY high dose and I was very nervous about infections, but she was fine.

It was for her arthritis and her GI was not in charge of it - in fact, her GI said she had never used more than 10 mg/kg. But it has been used experimentally for severe arthritis in kids/teens/young adults since at least 2013-2014.

And I know right now there are some teens on the Parents' forum who are on doses higher than 10 mg/kg every 4 weeks.

Her rheumatologist did say they would not use such a high dose on older adults - that kids and teens tend to metabolize drugs more quickly.

I was just thinking of Remicade because typically they say that's best for fistulas - or at least, there is a lot of data with Remicade and fistulae.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Highest dose of Humira?