• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Whoop there it is!

Oohrah!

Glad to find this forum on the Internet. Thanks for making this available and for all the shared stories.

I'm in my 40s and having some problems. When I was 13, I remember having a sharp cramping pain in my stomach after drinking a half pint of milk as part of a pre-football game meal. A year or so after that (age 15 - 16 maybe), I remember having chronic severe itchy throat that eventually went away. It was hard to see into my throat at that time because I still had my tonsils.

At 26, I had severe nausea and vomiting for three days before being admitted to the ER. The pain was so bad I couldn't stand up straight. After many days on IV and numerous tests, one of the four doctors treating me decided to do emergency abdominal surgery because I was dying. He discovered and removed a ruptured appendix. The hospital had ruled that out on admission because my pain was on the wrong side of my abs for it to be the appendix.

I got better and over the years following, I'd have occasional bouts of nausea and vomiting. I'd always chalk it up to food poisoning. Once it got so bad I spent all day yaking and then had to go to the ER because I was getting dehydrated.

Flash forward to earlier this year when I realized I had a problem with an unpleasant odor in my mouth and a burning tongue and eyes. I was told my tonsils had to be removed. Got them taken out and when I got home and looked in the mirror, I could now see the back of my throat easily and noticed something white coating the back of it.

I went back to the hospital to the ear, nose, and throat clinic where the procedure was done and saw 3 different doctors on different days and they all told me that my adenoids were exposed due to a post-nasal drip. I didn't have a drip from my nose but they couldn't be persuaded. Oh well.

After doing my own research on the Net, I found out that most likely there was thrush in my throat and on my tongue. Further research help me make the connection between thrush and candida overgrowth, leaky gut syndrome and candida, and finally Crohn's disease and leaky gut.

Over the years I've had a few other symptoms: rashes on my back, feet, and arms, a bout of chronic athlete's foot, soft stool constantly, occasional diarrhea, gurgling sounds from my stomach, dizziness, and lack of concentration. And since my mid-20s I've had a gray ring around my eyes which I just learned is scurf rim and an indication of toxins in the bloodstream.
My father and grandfather also had a ring but theirs was much larger.

I'm not 100% sure I have Crohn's, I'm going to a GI doc soon for testing. I've read some of the stories on here and the pain and nausea that a lot of people are reporting - I've only experienced 6 or 7 times in my life. The biggest problem I've had is the thrush in my mouth. Oh, I forgot to mention that a couple of years ago I developed a sore on my backside that won't heal. I've taken so many antibiotics, soaked in a tub with hibiclens... nothing gets rid of it. When I found out about Crohn's, I learned about fistulas that can form between the skin and large intestine, so I think that's what it could be.

Diflucan is the only thing that stops the burning on my tongue and in my eyes - I'm on it now. How funny is it that a man gets a yeast infection? Pretty damn funny! You should have seen the look the cashier at the pharmacy gave me when I filled my first prescription. lmao!

If I have Crohn's, I feel fortunate that my problems are not severe compared to what I've read here. I feel relatively healthy and I run 5 - 8 miles every day. Well sometimes I take a few days off, like now, but I'll be back on the road tomorrow morning bright and early.

From the stories I've read on here, no one has had a problem with thrush. Does that mean I probably don't have Crohn's? Or could this be something other than thrush? If this isn't Crohn's, what else could it be? Any comments or insights you can share will be tremendously appreciated.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Mr. Plug, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear you've had issues for so long. As far as you not having pain or nausea, that doesn't necessarily mean you don't have Crohn's. Not everyone gets every symptom - we're all different! Some people don't get diarrhea, some have constipation or even mostly normal stools. The probable fistula that you mentioned sure sounds like Crohn's to me, although I'm not a doctor. Definitely mention it to your GI when you have that appointment. Tell your GI everything, including the skin rashes etc. IBD like Crohn's and Colitis can involve so much more than just the intestines - it can cause skin issues, eye issues, joint issues, and so on. So write down and tell your GI absolutely all your symptoms, even if they don't seem to "fit" Crohn's.

There have been a few threads in the past about candida and thrush - up at the top of the screen, under where it says Crohn's Forum, click on "search" and type in "thrush" and see what you come up with. I'm sure that others on here have experienced issues with thrush, you're definitely not the only one.

Thanks for the tip Cat. Now I see lots of discussions about thrush. Didn't realize that some of the meds I might have to take for this could also cause thrush. Since I already have it and it's keeping me from working, it's something I'll mention to the doctor when I go for my visit.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Mr Plug..catchy name :lol: :welcome: to the forum! Yeast infections or thrush is very common being on antibiotics and yes I have both many times. Sugar makes it worse so if you have a sweet tooth best to avoid it. A good thing that will help you and other symptoms is probiotics, high billion count is better, and or yogurt, ya I know men don't eat Quishe or Yogurt :lol:. Everyone has different pains, symptoms, we react differently to meds too but your positive attitude will go along way.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. We are here to help.

Thanks, Pen! It feels comforting to know there are people out there like you who understand what I'm going through and that I'm not crazy. On a recent trip to the ER, a doctor told me he didn't see anything wrong with my tongue and refused to treat me. All I wanted was a test done to figure out why the Diflucan didn't get rid of the thrush. I can only assume that he saw all my visits over the past year and concluded I was shopping for scrips... to sell I guess. All I wanted was a culture done but he acted like a straight up A-hole and refused to do anything for me. I was so pissed I didn't sign my discharge papers. Small consolation.

How often do you have to take probiotics? I started on some about a month ago and took them for about a week. After that, I noticed that drinking milk no longer made my stomach hurt, so I assume that all this time I thought I was lactose intolerant, but was out of good bacteria instead.

After taking them for a week, shouldn't that restore my digestive flora and they start to reproduce on their own? I know the many courses of antibiotic I took 2 years ago probably killed off my good bacteria and led to the thrush spreading from my throat to my tongue. But if I avoid antibiotics from here on out, will my flora be ok? I took a probiotic called Sundown, with 40 million active cells. Is that not enough? If I do have Crohn's, will it damage my flora? Maybe that's why I got thrush in my throat at 15, before I'd ever taken any antibiotics?

I know you might not be able to answer all these questions, so any advice you can offer would be great!

I know im only 16 but can relate to everthing u have and are still going through. It is awful that u have suffered for so long with out a diagnoses . Like urself i was excited when i found this forum as it is so comforting to be able to relate everyones problems. The pain is awful and all the other annoying symptoms that come with it. Hope u feel better.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thanks, Pen! It feels comforting to know there are people out there like you who understand what I'm going through and that I'm not crazy. On a recent trip to the ER, a doctor told me he didn't see anything wrong with my tongue and refused to treat me. All I wanted was a test done to figure out why the Diflucan didn't get rid of the thrush. I can only assume that he saw all my visits over the past year and concluded I was shopping for scrips... to sell I guess. All I wanted was a culture done but he acted like a straight up A-hole and refused to do anything for me. I was so pissed I didn't sign my discharge papers. Small consolation.

How often do you have to take probiotics? I started on some about a month ago and took them for about a week. After that, I noticed that drinking milk no longer made my stomach hurt, so I assume that all this time I thought I was lactose intolerant, but was out of good bacteria instead.

After taking them for a week, shouldn't that restore my digestive flora and they start to reproduce on their own? I know the many courses of antibiotic I took 2 years ago probably killed off my good bacteria and led to the thrush spreading from my throat to my tongue. But if I avoid antibiotics from here on out, will my flora be ok? I took a probiotic called Sundown, with 40 million active cells. Is that not enough? If I do have Crohn's, will it damage my flora? Maybe that's why I got thrush in my throat at 15, before I'd ever taken any antibiotics?

I know you might not be able to answer all these questions, so any advice you can offer would be great!

Once you have a major flare of thrush it is hard to get rid of. Probiotics wont hurt you and you can continue to take them indefinately. It will help increase your flora. Takes a while I used to use 900 million VSL#3 but it took about a month or so to make a difference. Costly stuff tho.

You also may want to get another referral to a proper Gi, one that will not tell you it is all in your head. :ybatty: It is not, and alot of people get that said to them. Low residue diets, avoiding stress and sugary foods can go along way. Hope this helps.

BTW what country are you from? :smile:

Low residue diets, avoiding stress and sugary foods can go along way. Hope this helps.
I looked up low residue diets and found out that it means low fiber. What does this do? I've been eating popcorn every day but I'll stop if it's making things worse.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Most Crohnies need to avoid high fibre foods, causes bloat and diahreah. I was eating popcorn alot and I knew better and then I got a partial obstruction... not to bright I was :lol: You can make a list of foods that you can't tolerate, but since I have had this 20 years + I know what I can and cannot eat, and different times it bothers me and some dont. Low residue is just a safer diet.

Went to the hospital today for a consult with a nurse practitioner. Thought she was going to refer me to an outside G.I., but she doesn't think I have Crohn's. Since I can't work because of the thrush, I'm getting treated on the state's dime. So I'll play this game for a while.

However, she did recognize the sore on my rear as a fistula, so that was good. She scheduled me for surgery. When I go back in a month, I'll point out to her that fistulas only form when some disease is present. So maybe that will help convince her.

In her defense, she did see all the trips I made to the ER last year and got antibiotic scripts. Each visit was because I was scared that the abscess on my behind was going to get out of control again like it did the first time it appeared. It was too painful to stand up straight and it turned into cellulitis. Would have been nice if I had known that too many antibiotics can destroy your natural bacteria and cause candida to go boom boom. Now I'm stuck with this crap in my throat and it doesn't wanna leave.

She did put me on nystat for the thrush - any tips for rinsing with it? Originally, she prescribed some type of lozenges that were $80 for a 30 day supply. Can't afford so I passed on those and went back to the clinic and that time she wrote up the nystat. Nystat is what she said she was going to give me at the end of her exam, but when the nurse discharged me the scrip was for something else. Wish I could remember the name of it.

I forgot to mention to her that I have scurf rim, but I'll tell her in 30 days. I really wasn't prepared to discuss all my symptoms with her because I knew she wasn't a dr so I thought I was just going for a referral. But now she's going to be my PP until I can start working again. I know this sounds bad, but this will be the first time in my life that I've had a PP. I've always been healthy... or so I thought. You know the Me Man syndrome. I guess now I have no choice but to change that.

She does want to do some blood work on me. Are there any tests in particular I need to ask for when I go back for that? I've had 2 routine blood tests this year and they've come back normal. One for pre-op screening for tonsil surgery, the other was a test done in the ER for diabetes because I thought that might be the reason for my burning tongue - in fact it was thrush.

Mr plug! I could have written this! I was "fine" until I went to the er in march for vomiting, dehydration, diarrhea. Got the "it's a virus" diagnosis. Went back 2 days later and ended up in for 4 days and left without a gallbladder. My stomach problem never went away though! I had a colonoscopy and egd and they suspected celiac disease. All bloodwork was negative. 3 months later had a major flare up of sorts. Finally gi sent me to another gi. He just did anohet egd 2 week ago and it showed severe monilial esophagitis! I couldnt believe it! Thrush in my esophagus? Eww! I just finished 2 weeks of diflucan. It also showed gastritis so he put me on prilosec as well. This small bowel biopsy was normal, compared to the one that showed inflammation in April.

So, I don't know! But here I am! I had a ct with contrast Monday- waiting on those results.

Good luck to you!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Mr plug! I could have written this! I was "fine" until I went to the er in march for vomiting, dehydration, diarrhea. Got the "it's a virus" diagnosis. Went back 2 days later and ended up in for 4 days and left without a gallbladder. My stomach problem never went away though! I had a colonoscopy and egd and they suspected celiac disease. All bloodwork was negative. 3 months later had a major flare up of sorts. Finally gi sent me to another gi. He just did anohet egd 2 week ago and it showed severe monilial esophagitis! I couldnt believe it! Thrush in my esophagus? Eww! I just finished 2 weeks of diflucan. It also showed gastritis so he put me on prilosec as well. This small bowel biopsy was normal, compared to the one that showed inflammation in April.

So, I don't know! But here I am! I had a ct with contrast Monday- waiting on those results.

Good luck to you!
Hey there, welcome to the forum :bigwave: glad you found your way here, it would be great if you post your story on a YOUR STORY thread so everyone can greet and meet you...hope you join us!