Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Can you have IBS and IBD at the same time?

03-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
AckMac

Can you have IBS and IBD at the same time?

I've seen a few members on this site say that have both IBS and IBD. This is very confusing to me. How can you have both IBD and IBS at the same time? I thought that IBS was a diagnosis of exclusion and if they found IBD, then your symptoms are due to the IBD and they stop using IBS.

Please educate me.
03-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
archie

It is confusing but that said I was diagnosed with crohns 2 years ago all tests conclusive of it I then ended up with a resection, since then I have no active crohns however I still get days when my bowel feels irritated. I personally feel that since surgery I have symptoms of IBS which seem a lot less severe than the physical damage that was caused by the crohns. Im prob completely wrong but to me it's the best way to describe it... Before I was diagnosed I never really had any tummy issues except that I suffered with several gastro bugs that would've made me sick. I think it is possible to have both as in the absence of physicAl damage it's IBS.

Diagnosed Crohn's 2010
ileocecal resection 2010
Meds: Nil and in remission

03-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
AnnieInside

I personally feel that since surgery I have symptoms of IBS which seem a lot less severe than the physical damage that was caused by the crohns.
You have Crohn's Disease with less severe symptoms. You don't have IBS.
03-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
StarGirrrrl

My Support Groups:
It's the current medical thinking that you can have both. But I feel not enough is known about IBD and the assumption that symptoms are caused by IBS if there is no active inflammation from the IBD is very premature and incorrect. Perhaps in the future the medical/scientific community will realise IBD works differently to what is thought now.

How many undiagnosed people suffer for years with severe symptoms before the IBD inflammation finally shows itself? Drs tell patients countless times IBD takes time to show up, yet as soon as they are diagnosed with IBD and no active inflammation, the symptoms must be IBS!! BS if you ask me lol.

IBD causes inflammation and changes to the cells which make up the bowel walls. It's going to cause some sensitivity etc as there is a fault there due to the disease. So even if it can't be seen the disease is still there. So to me it's obvious that it's the IBD causing symptoms and not IBS.
2014 IDA & low B12.

June 2014 admitted to Hospital 3 nights as emergency transfused 2 units of blood. Dangerous case of anaemia.
Caught by pure chance!
Cause currently unknown but suspected CD.

Waiting on blood & stool results from January.

Hoping to stop anaemia treatment soon & lower B12 daily dose!
03-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Crohnsnewbie

That's very confusing, docs said I had IBS before I had Crohns last year. I got "IBS" when I was 14! They're saying since the first doc did no tests to confirm IBS at all, that I have always had Crohns! Scary thought, I'm glad Crohns didn't effect me until last year I'm going on 24 I couldn't of handled Crohns in school as a child!

My thinking when I was younger was that the reason I missed school so many times because of being "sick" or having "diarrhea" was because we didn't have food in the house a lot of the time. I figured I had too many liquids over solids and that it caused me to get sick and have diarrhea......turns out I was wrong....
03-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Ihurt

My Support Groups:
I am still in the midst of trying to find out what is wrong with me so I am not sure what I have. Was told it is likely IBS.

In my personal opinion and extensive history with chronic illness for the last 9 years, doctors do not really know much about anything. IBS, IBD, IC, UC, doctors do not really know anything about these diseases. I think it all depends on the individuals immune system and how the body reacts to things. My mom who passed away 9 years ago was sick ALL her life, well not all her life, but since she hit 26 years of age. She had all kinds of stomach issues and intestinal issues. She was finally dx with having meinetriers disease of the stomach( rare) and also "colitis conditions". She would get diareha and severe intestinal pain that would come and go. She had numerous tests that were never very helpful except for the lucky one time she had the upper GI scope while in the midst of a flare and they were able to dx the meinetriers disease of the stomach.

All in all I think you can have IBS and IBD or whatever you want to call it, because to me, IBS is just another way of doctors saying 'I have no clue what is wrong with you'! They do not even understand IBD. They have no clue. My girlfriend told me about a doctor, I have to get his name again, he is in Alabama and he is a natural doctor who has supposedly cured quite a few crohns patients and patients with other chronic illnesses just by strenghting the immune system and following a very strict and all organic diet along with different supplements. Not sure how true or valid this info is, but what I am saying is that I just think GI docs and all doctors for that matter really have a long way to go in terms of how they treat illness. They need to be able to look more into a root cause and fix the cause otherwise the disease will never be fixed really.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant. I feel for every person on here. I have been chronically sick for 9 years with all kinds of crap. I pray I do not have crohns, as I cannot bear to deal with yet another debilitating illness! I do feel for you all and my heart goes out to you. I pray one day these doctors and researchers will really look into this and maybe find a real cause and a cure for chronic illnesses like these.
03-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
LindaS

My Support Groups:
I saw a doctor once at the Mayo Clinic and she said a lot of GI doctors do the colonoscopy as if they were dermatologists. They only biopsy where they can see issues. However, the inflammation could be below the surface, and if they don't happen to biopsy that tissue, they won't see it. So honestly, I don't think you can have both. Once you have CD, then any issues need to be treated. I've had "clear" colonoscopies with tons of symptoms, only to have a scan a couple months later show a lot of inflammation.
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
archie

You have Crohn's Disease with less severe symptoms. You don't have IBS.
How can you be so sure? I had very severe crohns and I didn't suffer from these symptoms which i have now which to me are more like Irritable Bowel. I had a whole different set of complaints with the crohns which where more serious... therefore I think there is a difference...

Who knows though to my knowledge it is not a clear cut disease and certainly not all symptoms of IBS are apparent with the diversity of IBD and vice versa, it is a very grey area but one thing for sure is IBS does not cause organic change to the tissues of the bowel, and IBD is more serious however the presenting symptoms of each can be very different. Several people with IBD have very few symptoms yet have suffered severe damage to their intestines on scans and many people can have terrible issues with their digestive system and suffer daily yet do not have IBD.
03-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Ihurt

My Support Groups:
I agree with you Archie, I am still trying to get a dx. I am having awful awful miserable pain all throughout my intestines and upper gut. My gastro doc thinks IBS, but I have not had any testing lately to back that up or at least rule out crohns or anything else. My symptoms are pain and cramping in my uper and lower intestines and feeling tender to the touch( I actually think my abdominal muscle wall itself is inflammed). My bowels usually move once a day sometimes once every day and half to two days. My stools are usually formed but on the softer side and occasionally have white slime or mucus in it. Pain and cramping and bloating is my biggest issue. In regards to what you said about IBS causing severe pain, my gastro doc told me some of his IBS patients were disabled due to the severe pain and on disability and could not work. I am going to see my gastro doc Wednesday and see what he wants to do. I will likely end up having some tests to check this all out. I myself always thought that IBS was more of an annoying illness rather than dabilitating which Is why I am so scared it is something more since I am in so much pain. The odd thing is that I do not have diareha, maybe had 1 episode a month ago. Also they say with IBS you feel relief when you have a BM, I always feel worse after I go with soreness and tenderness and crampiness all throughout. So I do not know what is up. I know you can have crohns without having diareha, but personally everyone I know who has crohns( friends of mine) all have the severe diarhea. This is so confusing and from what I am learning, crohns is not easy to dx at all.

How can you be so sure? I had very severe crohns and I didn't suffer from these symptoms which i have now which to me are more like Irritable Bowel. I had a whole different set of complaints with the crohns which where more serious... therefore I think there is a difference...

Who knows though to my knowledge it is not a clear cut disease and certainly not all symptoms of IBS are apparent with the diversity of IBD and vice versa, it is a very grey area but one thing for sure is IBS does not cause organic change to the tissues of the bowel, and IBD is more serious however the presenting symptoms of each can be very different. Several people with IBD have very few symptoms yet have suffered severe damage to their intestines on scans and many people can have terrible issues with their digestive system and suffer daily yet do not have IBD.
03-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Grant

My Support Groups:
Agree with Archie, Crohns often comes back. And yes you can have both @ the same time.
Regards
Grant
2002 Laperotomy & Resection
2010 Laproscopic Ileocolic Resection
2012 Laproscopic Laperotomy & Resection
2013 diagnosed with a Fistula
Been on Azathioprine Pred & Methotrexate
Currently on:
Inflectra
Questran
Loperamide
Calcichew
Pentasa 4gm daily
Daily Multi Vitamins
3mthly B12 Jabs
03-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
David
Co-Founder

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable website or study that discusses having both IBS and IBD at the same time?

Thank you
03-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
LindaS

My Support Groups:
David, this is all I could find. http://www.nature.com/nrgastro/journ...o.2010.69.html

The abstract seems to contradict itself, though.
03-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
David
Co-Founder

Hahah, that's a terrible abstract isn't it Linda? Thanks for the link on that but I think we're going to need to throw that one out
03-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
LindaS

My Support Groups:
Maybe someone here has a subscription to Gastroenterology and Hepatology and can give us a better abstract.
03-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
handle

good study in this thread:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=10469

"When patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in remission have irritable bowel symptoms, the cause is more likely to be low-grade inflammation rather than true irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), according to a new study."
03-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
David
Co-Founder

Thanks handle. I like their bottom line:
Their conclusion: "Bottom line, IBD is IBD unless proven otherwise!"
I have a feeling that when someone has IBD it would be pretty hard to prove that they have IBS as well if the full gamut of tests was run. Just a feeling of course.
03-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #17
archie

They are 2 completely different conditions so I'm not sure if we have to decide if we have one of them solely IBD is a disease IBS is not it is a set of symptoms. The important thing is that you would not want to mistake or rule out IBD as IBS due to the seriousness of the damage that can be caused.

On a personal level in the absence of any inflammation I have the symptoms of IBS yes which i agree have been caused by my history of IBD, surgery and by diet, so personally I still think you can have both. We know that IBS cannot not cause IBD but IBD can produce symptoms of IBS hence the fact that many people get misdiagnosed.

I shall now trawl the Internet for some useless information
11-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #18
Caseylee

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 2 1/2 years ago. None of the medications helped me in any way. So I stopped taking them all and started smoking cannabis every day. I am now in clinical remission. However I kept having severe pains and constipation alternating with diarahhea. So I got another colonoscopy and endoscopy and they found nothing. I was then diagnosed with IBS. Long AFTER my Crohn's diagnosis. So yes you can have both. I am living proof of it and If anyone wants to try to say it isn't possible, I welcome you to live one of my good days and see how you feel after.
11-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #19
Pug Gamer

Yes you can have both. My IBD nurse said you can and has seen it alot. She said its like insult to injury. They think i might have both but unless i had my stricture removed they wouldnt know if it was stricture or IBS ontop of crohns sein as the meds seem to be making improvements to my crohns and stricture, yet still pain and all that jazz lol.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Can you have IBS and IBD at the same time?