• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you consume a lot of french fries, potato chips, and other fried potato products?

Do you eat a lot of fried potatoes?

• Sure do! *crunch*

Votes: 45 49.5%
  • Nope!

Votes: 46 50.5%

• Total voters

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Matt loves potatoes but mostly mashed or roasted.

Sarah doesn't eat any fried foods or potato chips.

Dusty. :)

PS. I put Matt in nope because of the "fried" but should he be in yep?

David

Co-Founder
PS. I put Matt in nope because of the "fried" but should he be in yep?
As this poll is for fried, no is correct.

However, in the thread I linked in the first post, I provided a source stating that even peeled potatoes that aren't fried might have a lot of glycoalkaloids.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Not terribly often. The smell of potatoes being fried always gave me a headache.

There seems to be a lot of talk about potatoes on the forum David. Do they not contain any B12? :p

I eat a lot of potatoes, but usually mashed and occasionally baked whole in the oven. If I get home late and can't be bothered cooking anything else, I do a big bowl of mashed potato with a soft poached egg on top.

Hi Rygon

First you need very fresh eggs - the older they are the more the whites spread out and become messy. Frying pan - if not non-stick, a very thin layer of oil or butter; enough water to cover the egg, salt (some people use vinegar to keep the whites tight, but I don't like the taste); bring to a very gently rolling boil and slide in the egg. Spoon the water over the top of the egg from time to time to cook the white. I like the yolks very runny, so as soon as the white is cooked, I slip the egg slice under it, lift and, there you are, the perfect poached egg.

Now you need to go away and practice. ;)

Used to eat a lot of potato chips - was told by my stoma nurse that potato chips would help thicken up my output. Took a while to get over that addiction!

Hi David
I've been wondering about this also. I can only eat a certain type of potato (roosters) and they have to be roasted in a little oil. If I eat new potatoes in their skin or anything fried in animal fat I pay for it for about a week. It has taken me over 20 years to finally say no to french fries but it is well worth it.

I definitely did before diagnosis/prednisone. I try not to now (trying the low-carb thing to keep weight at bay - not helping!), but I'm addicted to potato chips. :(

I used to fry mine, lots of oil! But i recently started baking my fries, it still triggers the crohns but not nearly as bad as frying them. I just can't help myself! I absolutely love my fried foods.

I love potatos, they are my favorite food. Potato chips are a weakness of mine but I have had to cut back as they cause me a lot of bloating and pain :(

nope cant eat any potato chips, or fried foods. Or in fact any foods that have any sort of high fat / grease content. I bake my french fries, and if i want chips i need to eat baked ones.

I miss chips.....i eat alot of crackers instead these days.....

I had home-made oven wedges tonight with really fresh tail of Australian salmon , which I floured and shallow fried, green beans, fennel/zucchini/ginger and a glass of "Save our Souls" rose. Delicious.

I love white potatoes [as apposed to sweet potatoes], as they are one of my safe foods. I love them mashed, baked, or boiled -or even french fried on occasion. But, I have to be very careful especially eating mashed potatoes, when I don't make them myself, because of the possible dairy added to them by way of milk or butter. I am extremely dairy intolerant -even the slightest bit sets me off. [Sweet potatoes are one of my no-no's because I an fructose intolerant.]

I used to eat french fries and/or potato crisps on at least three occasions week, up until the time of my Crohns diagnosis. Since then I've been very very careful not to go there, and I certainly wont be after reading this information.

Gra

I eat a bag of crisps every day near enough, i do occasionally eat chips but they dont digest to well and kind of come out my bag half digested.

I love potato wedges but again these can cause problems usually because of the skin.

I think fried food in general is just difficult

I say no. I used to, but I decided to eat healthier.
It's tough, though! Sometimes I can't resist me some french fries....mmm...

Potatoes, bread, always makes me bloated and yucky.......I can't have dairy so I stay mostly away from Carbos and dairy, soy and Silk stuff....Rosie

I eat fried food. Chips, chicken, bacon. Whatever. I do have to be particular on what sort of fried foods. Aside from Lays potato chips, which I will have a modest (~1-2oz) amount three, or so times a week, and I avoid flavored chips due to the MSG. When I cook I am sure to use organic oils, and organic potatoes as well (my wife makes a mean fried potato cake!). When I buy bacon, I get the uncured stuff without nitrates, or nitrites, and organic chicken.

On a bit of a tangent here: One thing suspect that contributes to our inflammation is the Genetically Modified foods. Things like GM soybean, corn, palm, rapeseed oils. Many of the oils used in mass production are made from GM crops. Your average french fry, and potato chip are likely fried in this GM oil.

I have read that some plants are modified to destroy the digestive tracts of the insects that eat them. At one point we had GM tomatoes on the market that were causing lesions in the digestive tracts of people, and it was promptly removed from store shelves. I don't believe that the effects are limited to just insects.. and when you get down to it, most of American beef, and chicken is fed GM grain. Nevermind the fact that cattle are natural grass eaters, whose own digestive systems aren't designed to eat grain.. But I digress, as I am ranting.

I don't and never did. When I was very young, I only liked raw potatoes with pepper on them (I have no idea what that was about!). I never liked french fries or potato chips so I would never eat them. For one thing I hate the taste of salt so neither of those would appeal to me just based on that alone (pretzels either). I also never liked foods full of fat or cooked in heavy fats. Now I wouldn't be able to eat them because of the starch even if I could get past of all of the rest of the reasons I don't like them.

I rarely eat chips (french fries), or crisps (chips), but I do eat baby potatoes and jacket (baked) potatoes (but leave the jacket untouched).
I've always had a problem eating chips from a chip shop. I always put it down to the oil though, because if my fiance makes chips at home using fresh oil I'm ok with them.

I have read that some plants are modified to destroy the digestive tracts of the insects that eat them. At one point we had GM tomatoes on the market that were causing lesions in the digestive tracts of people, and it was promptly removed from store shelves. I don't believe that the effects are limited to just insects.. and when you get down to it, most of American beef, and chicken is fed GM grain. Nevermind the fact that cattle are natural grass eaters, whose own digestive systems aren't designed to eat grain.. But I digress, as I am ranting.
After a discussion aboot free range food and what they get fed I was wondering aboot eating meats that have been fed products containing gluten etc. If you are allergic to gluten, could eating meats that had a gluten based diet effect you? Like would it change the make up of the meat, or would its effect only act locally whilst it was being digested? iykwim?

I love baked potatoes, but usually don't eat the skin. Love mashed potatoes (mmm with brown gravy, could make a meal of that). And I do like potato chips as well, but have to be in the mood for them. Lay's has a dill pickle potato chip that I love. French fries, I can take them or leave them.

I rarely eat chips (french fries), or crisps (chips), but I do eat baby potatoes and jacket (baked) potatoes (but leave the jacket untouched).
I've always had a problem eating chips from a chip shop. I always put it down to the oil though, because if my fiance makes chips at home using fresh oil I'm ok with them.

After a discussion aboot free range food and what they get fed I was wondering aboot eating meats that have been fed products containing gluten etc. If you are allergic to gluten, could eating meats that had a gluten based diet effect you? Like would it change the make up of the meat, or would its effect only act locally whilst it was being digested? iykwim?
It shouldn't. Gluten is a protein contained in some grains while protein from animals is different. What you probably need to be more concerned about is whether gluten was used in making or packaging the meat. Almost all bacon is cured with some type of starch so it could have it and many preserved or pre-prepared meats contain some form of starch so they could have it.

I am not sure, however I would guess that the gluten ingested by the animal would not be an issue. As it was mentioned, the production of the food you eat could include an addition of gluten. Fortunately for people with gluten intolerance, more manufacturers are listing gluten, and gluten free.

Here is a link discussing the GM dna getting into our livestock, and the potential risk of GM foods.

Here is another interesting read. Note the link in Bt-corn, and IBD, MS, etc..

Here's a Quote:

In government-sponsored research in Italy ii , mice fed Monsanto's Bt corn showed a wide range of immune responses. Their elevated IgE and IgG antibodies, for example, are typically associated with allergies and infections. The mice had an increase in cytokines, which are associated with "allergic and inflammatory responses." The specific cytokines (interleukins) that were elevated are also higher in humans who suffer from a wide range of disorders, from arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease, to MS and cancer (see chart).

Last edited:
I was never a huge fan of potato chips unless they were jalapeno flavored, but still never ate much. My weakness when it comes to chips is tortilla chips with salsa or guacamole...if I get going I can empty a full bag in one sitting D: .
French fries are great but I don't eat fast food much so I'm not ingesting them often. Is it weird that I love Mayonnaise on french fries?