• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisone and Insomnia.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone experienced ridiculous insomnia while taking Prednisone? If so, any advice on how to remedy this? I'm currently on 40 mg of Prednisone and have gotten very little sleep.....I am taking my medicine first thing in the morning, but I'm not sure what else to do. I woke up at 3am and was not able to get back to sleep.....my thoughts were racing. I was trying to do some mindfulness and deep breathing but I could not get back to sleep. It's only 4pm and I am exhausted. I don't know how much more I can take.

Should I take Benadryl or something? If so when should I take it? My problem isn't so much falling asleep at night, it's waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep.

SarahBear

Yes. I slept about 2 hours every 3 nights while taking Prednisone. It was terrible and very frustrating.

Something like Benadryl might help. Personally, if I were going that route, I'd take it before bed. See if that keeps you from waking up, and if not, just take some when you do wake up. Have you considered melatonin tablets? It's what's in turkey that makes everyone sleepy after eating it - the tablets might do the trick so you can avoid taking so much Benadryl.

I also tried cutting out caffeine - didn't help me, but if you consume it regularly it could make a difference for you. It's worth trying, at least. Also, don't do anything in bed other than sleep - such as reading, watching TV, etc. Doing these activities causes your mind to associate that location with focus and concentration. If you do nothing there but sleep, your mind only associates it with sleeping.

If it continues to cause problems, your doctor may be able to prescribe you something to help.

Prednisone is notorious for causing insomnia. I always joke that you can tell if I'm on it because it's the only time my house is clean (since I'm up washing floors at 2 AM). Taking Benadryl before bed may help a bit, but sadly not a lot can really counter this effect. I find it best to accept the idea that I'll be awake, then I don't get as upset when I am and it's a pleasant surprise if I actually sleep through the night. Might want to pick up a few books that you've always wanted to read. Good luck and I hope at least it helps your GI symptoms!

I've never been awake so much as I am now that I'm on prednisone! Very odd feeling to wake so early after so little sleep but not feel in the least bit tired. tbh I'm enjoying not feeling completely exhausted all the time!

I've never been awake so much as I am now that I'm on prednisone! Very odd feeling to wake so early after so little sleep but not feel in the least bit tired. tbh I'm enjoying not feeling completely exhausted all the time!
Yes it's odd isn't it! I'm a morning person anyway, but when on pred even I was amazed at how I could effortlessly get up and out of bed even on the darkest, coldest winter morning. I hated the endless nights of tossing and turning... and the endless days of pure restlessness more though. If you enjoy the energy - make the most of it! I eventually couldn't stand it anymore, and as I said in my post above, took sleep meds which brought more benefits than pred on its own did. But if the insomnia and energy works you, enjoy it. :)

I'm only on my second week on the steroids and I think that the novelty of the extra energy may wear off pretty quickly.....

I had all kinds of sleep issues while on prednisone. From not being able to fall asleep, to tingling in my legs which would make it impossible to fall asleep, to being awake at 3am making large meals, to simple dozing off while doing something, to waking up and not being able to fall asleep.

Good times :-/

I had it so bad that I had to take Ambien. Melatonin didn't allow me to sleep the entire night. I still woke up. Ambien knocked me out the entire night.