03-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
tek254

My Support Groups:
Exercise Ball for AS

Hi ho everyone. As a sufferer of old man Crohns as well as AS, I have begun a somewhat serious attempt at exercise (until I get bored) and was told by RA doctor that a exercise ball is a great tool. Has anyone used one? IF so, how do I determine which one to buy? Thanks everyone. On the plus side, here on the east coast of the US, warm weather returns!!!Thank you global warming
04-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Jajabinks

My Support Groups:
I bought a 65 inch ball yesterday for my spine and a massage roller. It felt soooo wonderful doing the exercises!
Fish oil, turmeric powder, n-acetyl glucosamine, l-glutamine, slippery elm, marshmallow root, DGL, multivitamin, vitamin D. Crohns in terminal ileum. One semester left. Academics on hold thanks to painful Crohn's arthritis...
04-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Clash
Forum Monitor

My son's RA has him doing physical therapy. They work with a 65in exercise ball and he also swims, both are great for building the core and especially brange of motion. He has been told to start with 30min of swimming 4 days a week. Right now my son is diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy, no fusion yet.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
04-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Jajabinks

My Support Groups:
65 cm I meant sorry. Clash how does he deal with the pain? I have pains daily that are getting better with exercise but I wonder if ill ever be pain free again.
04-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Clash
Forum Monitor

We are very new to his dx. He has had lower back pain more than two years. He has described it as stiffness and pain. His pain hadn't been severe as much as a constant dull issue. At the first rheumatologist appt she said he had really great range of motion. She switched him to methotrexate and it seemed to have helped with the stiffness and pain but she said it generally doesn't help with spine. She said he had inflammation in his SI joint.

He says his lower back is feeling a lot better but that he can still feel it some. We are so new to this that I'm still learning all of the ins and outs. He had been on remicade high dose for his CD but there has still been disease progression and the lower back pain had been persistent through the two year of remicade.
04-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Jajabinks

My Support Groups:
I have read from others that Remicade does not work well for their spinal pain. I have heard good things about Humira. Crohns is really annoying, I was just starting to accept that I have this disease and then along came the horrible spondylitis. I'm back at square one this time with some depression. Mine makes my ribs, legs, buttocks, lower back hurt. It's chronic pain. I'm glad your son has made some progress, I'm hoping I will too. The massage roller I bought is great!
04-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Clash
Forum Monitor

I can't imagine the struggle you face with two dxes. When I asked the rheumatologist if C had AS she said his was labeled spondyloarthropathy not AS but the result was the same. Maya142 has two daughters with AS and she said both were intially dxed with spondyloarthropathy(no fusion) and then it was changed to AS later when tests showed progression to fusion.

C stopped the remicade 7 weeks ago and is now on EN for weight gain and MTX injections. We are kind of in a holding pattern with the next step of CD treatment as surgery may be in the cards. I'm hoping once we can solidify the CD treatment we can focus on the other dx!
04-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Maya142
Forum Monitor

Yes my daughters were both diagnosed with juvenile spondyloarthropathy which progressed into AS. Remicade helped both of them only with methotrexate. Humira does seem to work better than Remicade for them.
Please don't lose hope! AS is really hard to deal with but with the right medications it can be managed. My husband has it too and he has lived a mostly normal life. My older daughter is doing very well and we're making progress with the younger one.
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
04-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Jajabinks

My Support Groups:
Clash, Maya was one of the first people I spoke to regarding my this issue. Thanks for linking her to me again. I am very grateful.

Maya, I am glad your daughter and husband are well. What treatment does he use? My spondylitis flared after cleaning my house on Tuesday. It was so painful.
04-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
Maya142
Forum Monitor

Hi Jajabinks,
My younger daughter is on a high dose of Remicade and Sulfasalazine, the older one is on Humira and methotrexate and my husband just takes an NSAID (he was diagnosed before the biologics existed so has had hip replacements but otherwise lived a fairly normal life).
Finding the right combination of meds and exercise can make all the difference. Both my girls swim and do PT which helps.
Are you on any meds?
04-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
Jajabinks

My Support Groups:
I am on Mobic at the moment and waiting to see a new Rheumy on May 1st. Is it the rheumy who refers to physical therapy?
04-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
Maya142
Forum Monitor

Yes usually, though you could as your GP too probably. I see that you're in NY, have you considered going to the Hospital of Special Surgery?
04-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Clash
Forum Monitor

It was a rheumatologist that referred my son to physical therapy but it was in a round about way. The rheumatologist wanted him to swim 30 min 4 times a week but the indoor pool required my son be 18 for a membership, he isn't. The facility did tell me that the physical therapy team from the local hospital used their pool twice a week so I call the rheumatologist explained the situation and she sent an orderboverbto the PT. So now my son's swims twice a week, an hour each time, then every 5 week he goes into the PT clinic for evaluation and gym exercises. The PT also has him doin the exercises with the exercise ball at home.
06-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
Jajabinks

My Support Groups:
Clash does your son deal with fatigue? I am hoping to regain some strength and mobility so that I can actually make it to the pool this summer. Lol!
06-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
tek254,

The size of the ball you purchase is important. You don't want something too large you can't fit or too small that you are bending in uncomfortable ways.

When sitting upright on an exercise ball:

Feet should be flat on the floor - with an even weight distribution.
Knees should be level or slightly lower than the pelvis - creating an angle of 90 degrees or slightly greater at the hips and knees (thighs parallel to ground or pointing down slightly).
Pelvis, shoulders, and ears should be in a vertical line - the body should not be leaning in any direction as a counterbalance. Bouncing up and down lightly will usually produce this alignment.

Exercise balls generally come in five different diametrical sizes. Each of these sizes is accordingly used for people of differing body compositions.
Source: http://www.spine-health.com/wellness...-exercise-ball
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)