• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Accepting my life with a permanent colostomy

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 15 years ago. it didnt become active until 2008. i developed fistulas and was in and out of the hospital every month. thats when i had my first surgery getting a temporary ilieostomy. after 3 months had it reversed. three months after that i was back in the hospital with yet another fistula that burst after getting first round of humira. i then had my secound surgery having another temporary ilieostomy which left me dehydrated. had a pic line inserted for iv fluid at home. after 7 months was reversed. all was going well. i started taking cimzia. it has helped. sometime after i started developing bowel incognitence. it was so severe that i had to wear adult diapers. the muscle was completley dead. 5 moths ago i had surgery again. had a temporary colostomy which left me with a very bad skin infection at the stoma site. 1 month ago i had it re positioned. this time the colostomy is permanent. i am coming to terms in accepting the fact that there is no turning back. but I look at it this way. just like a person who has lost a limb they are fitted with a prostetic limb. I see my colostomy as my prostetic.

nogutsnoglory

Wow you have been through so much. You certainly tried to reverse and succeed but unfortunately it sounds like the disease was too aggressive. Hopefully with a permanent you can live a normal life without these problems.

Wow you have been through so much. You certainly tried to reverse and succeed but unfortunately it sounds like the disease was too aggressive. Hopefully with a permanent you can live a normal life without these problems.
Yes I have but I now have a better quality of life.:)