• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Leg Spasms

So yesterday I had really bad leg spasms all through out the day not a cramp more like my legs would just shake uncontrollably and today my legs are so sore I can barely walk - like I did some really intense exercises - I didn't. Does anyone else get this ? I am on aza 100mg daily , iron infusions and a pred. taper 2.5mg ( will be done on Monday :banana: )

theOcean

Oh gosh :( That sounds terrible, I'm sorry.

Leg spasms can be caused by a number of things, but I would suspect you might be low on potassium if you're flaring. (Which, if you're taking prednisone, I assume you are.) There's a list of potential reasons why here.

If you can stand to see your GP you should probably have your electrolyte levels checked, the biggest reason I can think of for leg spams is hypokalemia (low potassium) or RLS due to anemia.

Last edited:
Oh gosh :( That sounds terrible, I'm sorry.

Leg spasms can be caused by a number of things, but I would suspect you might be low on potassium if you're flaring. (Which, if you're taking prednisone, I assume you are.) There's a list of potential reasons why here.
Thanks for the link. Yes I am flaring :( I have an appointment with my GI Monday morning and will tell him whats been going on. I saw him about 2 months ago and he increased my aza from 50mg to 100mg but I still keep flaring. I would like to ask for some new tests to see if I have scar tissue because none of the meds I have ever taken have put me in remission. Would an MRI or pill cam show scar tissue ? I have had 2 colonoscopies , tons of CT scans and countless blood tests but my GI says he doesn't know if I have scar tissue. :confused2:

theOcean

MRI can be hit or miss for showing scar tissue. I think that a colonoscopy or pill cam would be the most reliable method for checking.

If your aza isn't working and prednisone still isn't helping, you may have to go to the next step and maybe ask about biologics, like Remicade or Humira. I know in my case, my illness was so severe that nothing else helped me except those. So it may be that your meds aren't as strong as they should be, rather than it being a case of scar tissue.

MRI can be hit or miss for showing scar tissue. I think that a colonoscopy or pill cam would be the most reliable method for checking.

If your aza isn't working and prednisone still isn't helping, you may have to go to the next step and maybe ask about biologics, like Remicade or Humira. I know in my case, my illness was so severe that nothing else helped me except those. So it may be that your meds aren't as strong as they should be, rather than it being a case of scar tissue.
Hi theOcean. I have tried Pentasa ,Remicade and now aza . I will ask about the Humira though and see if I can try a pill cam. Thanks for your help.

Just a suggestion for leg cramp,spasm take your meds with Indian tonic water make sure it's got quinine and try a ripe or slightly over ripe banana at night.

Just a suggestion for leg cramp,spasm take your meds with Indian tonic water make sure it's got quinine and try a ripe or slightly over ripe banana at night.
I do eat ripe bananas twice a day but will give that Indian tonic water a try if I can find it around here. Thank you.

kiny

If you have a lot of D it will cause electrolyte imbalances, usually sodium or potassium. Going into remission is the only way to restore electrolyte balance, because drinking fluids high in electrolytes tend to cause more D which results in even more of an imbalance, especially magnesium. Hope you get better soon.

After years of dealing with leg spasms/cramps it is due to low potassium, although everybody said 'eat bananas", i discovered there are many other food and beverages that contain much more potassium, such as grapefruits, tomatoe juice, orange juice and most potatoe chips. Also, you can potassium pills daily, I take 10 of the 99 mgs everyday.

I had all my vitamin levels checked about a month ago and the docs say everythings fine except the really low iron. I've had 3 infusions so far but it hasn't seemed to help yet but hopefully it will soon . Thanks everyone for the replies.