• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update and Advice on skin tags

Well, life has been ticking along fine, but there are a few things just starting to cause a few issues.
Andrew has been ok on the 6mp (we on monthly bloods now) although the extreme tiredness hasn't settled. Also he has developed a small skin tag on his bottom which is causing some pain and a little bit of blood when wiping. Also it has started irritating him when walking around as well now.
Any advice on how to get rid of skin tags or is there something I can put on it to stop it irritating him so much?
Amy has been doing great - no bottom pain or anything, but every day for the past week and a half she has had a sore tummy just below the belly button. It seems to come and go all day and she has asked for paracetamol a few times at night. Truly hope this isn't something that will be ongoing like the last issue :yrolleyes:

When C's CD was flaring he has a small skin tag that irritated him as well. There was a cream the GI had given him but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Anyway, it did seem to help immensely. I'll try to come across that tube and get the name of it.

The skin tag is inflammatory tissue and is a sign that your little one is not in remission.

It should not be cut off or otherwise removed. Your GI may give you some anti-inflammatory cream to help with pain and swelling but it is unlikely to make the skin tag go away.

Only systemic treatment of the CD to achieve remission is likely to do that.

We have got Andrew's check up IBD clinic on Wednesday and I am going to be nagging them about his tiredness. As you may remember it took me ages to agree to him using the 6mp and so far I am less than impressed. He is now around 4 months into using it and as far as I can tell it hasn't helped the fistula at all (wasn't really expecting it to) and has made his tiredness twice as bad.
We went to the beach yesterday and we played a bit of football (not much running) and within 15 mins he had to have a rest. :frown: Not quite sure what their next suggestions may be.
Also, here I go again with Amy - thankfully not her sore bottom again, but she has had a sore stomach every day/night for nearly 3 weeks. I am giving her some lactulose and she seems to be going to the toilet alright - she doesn't complain of any difficulty going. May try and ask for another calprotectin for her although it usually comes back ok.
Between the kids and the op on my shoulder I am not in the best frame of mind just now - sorry for moaning!

Sorry to hear about Amy. I think it would be reasonable to get a fec cal test on her.
Is your shoulder doing any better. How long for recovery?

Tesscorm

Staff member
Moan away... helps to get it out! :)

Sorry Amy's having tummy pains now! And, I agree re Andrew... would want some answer re the tiredness.

And, I hope you feel better soon... it's hard to be 'positive' when you're in pain yourself! :ghug:

Ryan is about the same as Andrew...tires easily and skin tag appeared. Sorry you are going through this and other issues too. I hope you get some answers at the GI Wednesday! (((Hugs))).

Thanks everyone. Had just popped out for lunch - ordered something nice and got a phone call from the school asking me to fetch Amy :yrolleyes:. She had thrown up at school - so far she throws up everytime she tries to eat anything. Maybe once this bug is gone it will have helped the sore tummies.
Farmwife - my shoulder is getting a bit better thanks - stitches come out on Saturday - pity it wasn't dissolvable ones :smile:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the update Sascot but so sorry to hear that both your kids are having issues. :(

I hope things settle for them soon and that your shoulder continues to mend as it should. :ghug:

Dusty. xxx

How's Amy today?
I've always heard that with shoulder surgeries the key to it being successful is
physical therapy afterward to help get full range of motion back.
Will you be doing P.T.?

Appointment went alright. The GI doesn't want to make any decisions until we get the 6TG blood test and the faecal calprotectin back so it will be a couple weeks minimum.
Amy is not doing so well :frown: She has only kept down 2 small meals in 3 days. Went to the GP who gave her some Stemetil to try help the nausea, took a urine sample and said to come back if it doesn't improve. Wish the stomach pain would go away too.
Farmwife - I won't be doing any physio. I think my shoulder feels almost back to normal. Unfortunately well enough to do the housework! :yfaint:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
The waiting is always hard...:hug:

I am so sorry to hear that Amy's issues are persisting. :( I hope the Stemetil helps and the pain settles, bless her. :heart:

Thinking of you,
Dusty. xxx

Well at least Amy kept down dinner, although lunch went down the toilet. The stomach pain hasn't lessened and she has done a poo twice today which is unusual for her. May phone the GP again tomorrow if no improvement - the medical profession grinds to a halt at the weekend so it's tomorrow or Monday really. This needs to go away soon - I have the wedding to go to in a couple weeks and then we go on our cruise. :ybatty:

Yup! I'm making plans for a week long get away next month (shocking I know) and my first thought was, please don't get sicker Grace.
I hope it's still a virus but if not I hope you get this figured out soon.

HUGS

Sascot, so sorry to hear about your babes. I hope they feel better soon.
My son had a skin tag (extra flap of skin) when he was born. He has had atopic dermatitis since he was 2 months old (cleared up when he was 5yrs, mostly) and allergies and a "sensitive stomach" for as long as we can remember. His skin tag became inflamed last year and his pediatrician said it was a hemorrhoid! And told us to use Preparation-H!
I don't know why they don't think to investigate further into a patient's symptoms before brushing the dx off to the most convenient/easy choice. If he was dx sooner maybe the strictures in his intestines may not have been formed by scar tissue, if we had caught it sooner and the inflammation tamed, we may have prevented permanent damage. Oh well. Here we all are.
But about the skin tag, we used cool sitz baths. Needless to say, the Preparation-H did little to help. I don't think cortisone/steroid cream would be good considering they will thin the skin, it may cause more bleeding. I know that chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties, I wish I had thought to use cold chamomile tea bags back then.

Hope this helps.

Off to the GP again today. Amy was going to try school this morning, but threw up again before breakfast :voodoo:
Poor thing just said -"I don't want to have to throw up in the school toilets, they are disgusting!"

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh no, poor love. :(

Good luck with the appointment Sascot, I hope they can actually do something for her! :hug:

Dusty. xxx

PS. Having been away my brain is a bit mashed so...has Amy been scoped?

Got antibiotics "in case" it's a urine infection. The doctors are closed on Monday as well, so they were probably being careful. She has kept down lunch and a snack so far so fingers crossed!
Dusty - she has never had a proper scope done. They had a look a few centimetres up the rectum because of her bottom pain she used to get, but I was told "there is no justification for a full colonoscopy". So far her calprotectin has been okay, so they don't think it's worth doing.

my little penguin

Staff member
Did they do an ultrasound for kidney stones?
You can have those and not have blood.
Ultrasound is quick cheap and painless
Just a thought

That could explain some of her other stuff.

Hope the abx work

Catherine

Any chance it a kidney infection. Make sure a culture is done on the urine test. Has she had previous urine infection?

Thanks everyone, Amy seems completely recovered!!
What a relief. Dusty - I really don't know what's up with her. I don't think it's Crohns but then it never entered my head that Andrew would have it either. Hope it was just a bad tummy bug!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Phew! I hope all stays settled for Amy and she continues to go from strength to strength! :)

Dusty. xxx