• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone get joint pain in their thumb?

Looking for advice/relief from a swollen and painful thumb joint. The pain is mostly located in the base joint, but some is in the middle joint as well. It is getting annoying and harder to do normal tasks that involve that hand/thumb. It is getting fairly limiting.

I plan to ask my doctor about it, but didn't know if anyone has dealt with this before and had any input for me.

Thanks!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear about your joint pain. Are you currently receiving treatment for arthritis or will this be your first time calling your doc about it? Also what are your current crohn's-related meds if you have started them already? I see you have been on a number of things that may both help and hurt arthritis symptoms.

If it is beginning to interfere with your every day activities then it is more likely than not time to get your doctor involved.

I hope this eases up on you soon.

PsychoJane

I don't know if you will get it the same as I do. I don't have pain in my thumb but I occasionally have it in my index and in my ring finger, base and/or middle joint. It goes on during 2-3 days then go away. I have a regular follow up with a rheumatologist, she knows about it. That, along with some lower back problem (much better with physiotherapy) are supposed to be treated with NSAIDs but considering CD are not an option, else, she was suggesting methotrexate or biological agents (the usuals Remicade/humira).

When it's really getting me annoyed I use combination of ice and heat. 10 minutes each + myoflex or Voltaren Emulgel + tylenol 500mg and it does the trick for me. It still hurts a bit, but it gets it more tolerable.

It worth bringing it to your doctor if it bothers you much though.

I have the same thumb problem- I've been told to go to a rheumatologist. Not sure why as its definatley crohns related. It pops in and out of various other joints, but always the thumbs. Weird! For me the joint problems are worse than the diarrhea.
For the record- I'm being treated for crohns but from 18 biopsies, have tested negative to crohns, colitis and cancer.

There are people with Crohns who need a rheumatologist.
You know, the more I read about this, I'm not sure if the crohns has caused the rheumatoid problem, or if RA caused the crohns in the first place! So interesting, or would be if I could still use my opposables! Thanks

Looking for advice/relief from a swollen and painful thumb joint. The pain is mostly located in the base joint, but some is in the middle joint as well. It is getting annoying and harder to do normal tasks that involve that hand/thumb. It is getting fairly limiting.

I plan to ask my doctor about it, but didn't know if anyone has dealt with this before and had any input for me.

Thanks!
Sorry to hear about that. I have Crohn's-related arthritis and one of the (many) joints affected are my finger joints, including thumb as well. Is the joint reddish or warm as well, swollen? Does an ice pack help with pain? If yes, that could indicate inflammation. One possible reason for inflammation could be arthritis as extra intestinal manifestation. An ultrasound could check for inflammation, could also be performed for other joints to check them for inflammation (my rheumatologist does that).

Thanks!

I had this same thing a few weeks ago. It was indeed very annoying and makes you realize how much you use your thumb! I had it in a couple of other finger joints too. Mine went away when i took a stronger dose of Stelara.

I see a rheumatologist for IBD associated spondyloarthritis. The drugs I've been taking work on both the CD and the arthritis.

i have UC. I developed a condition called Trigger Finger (or in this case, Trigger Thumb). does your finger curl up at night and pop?

If so, they can inject the tendon sheath with cortisone. It never bothered me again. A hand surgeon did mine.

i have UC. I developed a condition called Trigger Finger (or in this case, Trigger Thumb). does your finger curl up at night and pop?

If so, they can inject the tendon sheath with cortisone. It never bothered me again. A hand surgeon did mine.
It only happened to me once a long time ago.